• 3(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
(2012-12-01, 18:19)spencers Wrote:
(2012-12-01, 05:18)lagledavid Wrote:
(2012-11-30, 21:06)spencers Wrote: Newegg has it now...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...=DC32171YE

nice catch. Seems like this would be worth it

Ordered one. It'll be here Dec 5
I notice it is a barebone. What did you order with it (memory? and msata?)? If you don't mind, you can try 3D movie and bitstreaming HD audio. I'm just currious how well it handles 3d and HD audio. If it work well, I might join your bandwagon.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Looks like all you'd need is some memory and a mSATA drive. I've noticed mSATA drives are pretty much the same price as SATA drives these days. More and more convergence between mobile and desktop...
(2012-12-01, 19:18)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-01, 18:19)spencers Wrote:
(2012-12-01, 05:18)lagledavid Wrote: nice catch. Seems like this would be worth it

Ordered one. It'll be here Dec 5
I notice it is a barebone. What did you order with it (memory? and msata?)? If you don't mind, you can try 3D movie and bitstreaming HD audio. I'm just currious how well it handles 3d and HD audio. If it work well, I might join your bandwagon.....

I'll probably order those today. May go with the Crucial M4 32GB mSATA and a 4GB stick of GSkill DDR3 1600

mSATA is so expensive. Angry

edit:
Don't forget one of these power cords, if you dont have one laying around somewhere.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G8D...irevi03-20
Here's my shopping list Smile

-Rosewill RHRC-11002 Windows 7 Certified MCE IR Remote Controller/Windows 8 MCE + Small USB Dongle Type, with Netflix CD
-Intel DC32171YE Intel QS77 Chassis: Aluminum and Plastic Black Next Unit of Computing Kit - OEM
-ADATA XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model AXDS1600GC4G9-2 (Low 1.35V with 9-9-9-24 timing)
-Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Series MKNSSDAT60GB-DX mSATA 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Intel Network 6235AN - Wireless Wifi Centrino Advanced-N Dual Band Bluetooth
(2012-12-01, 21:13)spencers Wrote:
(2012-12-01, 19:18)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-01, 18:19)spencers Wrote: Ordered one. It'll be here Dec 5

I'll probably order those today. May go with the Crucial M4 32GB mSATA and a 4GB stick of GSkill DDR3 1600

mSATA is so expensive. Angry

edit:
Don't forget one of these power cords, if you dont have one laying around somewhere.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G8D...irevi03-20
I don't think that the price of SSD mSata and Sata is that much different. If you are planning to run it on windows, I'm recommending the 64GB instead.

-64GB Crucial m4 Internal mSATA

Since it is a single slot memory, I'm recommending 8GB instead.

-GeIL 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333

I don't think it's a single slot for memory - I think newegg has their description wrong.. Intel design has dual channel support / 2 dimm slots.. Unless this OEM model removes the 2nd slot to save $.. I could be wrong..
(2012-12-01, 23:48)hamiltong Wrote: I don't think it's a single slot for memory - I think newegg has their description wrong.. Intel design has dual channel support / 2 dimm slots.. Unless this OEM model removes the 2nd slot to save $.. I could be wrong..

I noticed that too -- in the Anandtech article the one they reviewed had two slots. Newegg says one. They are different model numbers. It's worth digging deeper.

[Edit]
Here's the board they're using for that model: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/m...17iye.html . This says 2 x SO-DIMM slots. The NUC barebones is on there too and says 2 x SO-DIMM. I think Newegg has it wrong.

(2012-12-01, 23:48)hamiltong Wrote: I don't think it's a single slot for memory - I think newegg has their description wrong.. Intel design has dual channel support / 2 dimm slots.. Unless this OEM model removes the 2nd slot to save $.. I could be wrong..
It might be true, but I went by seller description.....I'm interesting in how well this little guy handles blur-ray 1080P, bitstreaming HD and 3d using Windows 7/8 with XBMC the most.....

(2012-12-02, 04:27)bluray Wrote:
It might be true, but I went by seller description.....I'm interesting in how well this little guy handles blur-ray 1080P, bitstreaming HD and 3d using Windows 7/8 with XBMC the most.....

Newegg has it wrong. It's dual slot

And I'll just be running xbmclive. Screw windows.
It seems to be a very nice very low power consumption little device and it operates at nearly no noise. Here is a complete review on it- Intel NUC DC3217BY Review w/ Windows 8.....
would love to know, if its possible to power it on from s5 using the Rosewill IR dongle
it has arrived!

Love
Alright, I installed a 32GB Crucial M4 mSATA drive and a 4GB stick of Crucial DDR3 1600.

Now I've got Openelec Beta 3 2.95.3 Frodo (Intel build) installed. Works WONDERFULLY so far.

Playing a TV show (1280x720) right now and pressed 'o' to bring up the audio and video specs.
It's interesting to watch the CPU usage bounce around between the four cores!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24