Vizio Co-Star
(2013-03-11, 21:37)RKMFlorida Wrote: Rooting a device won't make any difference, the problem is not with the ability to access features of the Android OS that are limited to SU, the problem is with the different hardware configurations / SoC (CPU's) used.

The Co-Star uses a very nice Marvel SoC with NEON capability, and there is a group that builds an XBMC APK that may just work. This will become one of the most common SoC's for GoogleTV, based on many reports -- so it's very likely that if the version I'm testing next does not work, another will soon -- and no need to root.

Also, keep in mind rooting would require unlocking the bootloader, and until you see an enthusiast community for the Co-Star (which I have not yet witnessed) I doubt there is any hope of that happening.

Thank you RMKFlorida, I live in Florida. Could you point me to the group that is building the APK for that SoC?
Nothing left in my right brain, Nothing right in my left brain :-P
@lartomar2002
Sure, you can look at all releases here:
http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-android/downloads/list

Keep in mind, they do not yet support the Vizio Co-Star. My point was simply that rooting the device will not help in this instance, the issue is with the specific OS (GoogleTV rather than conventional Android) and the hardware.

At less than $100, this should become a very popular box, and if so, you can probably expect to see someone work on a port. Considering the initial batches of this hardware sold-out / backordered, I'm a little surprised it's not discussed more!
Thanks for the link. I have used XBMC Nightlies with my other android devices before the offical Frodo release for Android.
Well in conclusion I have listed my Costar on eBay and buying another ATV do to the fact I have 6 iDevices, I got the costar for the Play Store but got disappointed there too. I will say the new G-Box or RasberryPi look very promising.
NDK support is finally arriving with the 4.2.2 Jellybean update for Google TV! The Vizio Co-Star along with a few other GTV devices will also be receiving the update! Finally! Nod

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...81611.html

Intel NUC NUC5PPYH
  • Intel Pentium N3700 Quad-Core (Braswell)
  • Intel 535 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD
  • Kingston HyperX Impact 8GB DDR3L 1600 1.35v
  • Microsoft MCE Remote RC6 IR Model 1039
  • Kodi 17 LibreELEC Testbuilds Milhouse
Of cource they now update GTV and release the NDK when my Ouya will be delivered next month, which I had ordered specificlly for XBMC.
Still no Jellybean update, not looking very promising.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vizio Co-Star1