Windows 7 versus XBMCBuntu
So...I know there are some threads that are kind of similar to this one, but doesn't attack this topic specifically..so i am asking a question to all of you, my xbmc amigos

my setup is as follows:
AMD A-6 3500
Asus F1A55-M/CSM
kingston valueram 4gb
kingston SSDnow S50 32gb

so i wanted to make my htpc as a "pure" htpc experience in the way that the box is only really designed to run xbmc
it seemed that xbmcbuntu was my best option...as it booted quickly (in about 20 seconds) and does nearly everything i wanted it to (play videos over SMB/network share mostly..but fun other little things as well)
the problem occurs that i cannot get any sound from the SPDIF output that is going to my home theatre system...NOTHING is coming out..i can get hdmi output that is with my video output coming from my tv just fine...but nothing has worked for SPDIF (i created a thread asking for help in the linux/live forum..that's not what i'm asking here)

so is my best bet to get SPDIF output and 5.1 sound to install windows 7 and xbmc and have it boot directly into xbmc?

how long does it take to boot (i know it will take longer...i'm just hoping not much longer...my wdtv takes a few minutes and it drives me crazy, nevermind how long it takes to load up videos and problems with buffer)?

are there any more advantages other than being lightweight and quick to xbmcbuntu versus windows 7?

are there any more advantages to windows 7?

thanks for input...
It can just a bit complicated to get audio working properly in Linux. On the other hand it's possible to use multiple outputs at the same time (which can't be done in Windows 7). If you use a recent daily build you won't have much trouble getting SPDIF to work since the recent builds use the new auto engine. This makes everything a lot easier. Wat XBMC version are you using?
You could also try and run...

Code:
alsamixer

...to confirm your SPDIF output isn't muted and volumes are up. If it's not installed just use..

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install alsamixer

...to install it.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
(2012-09-18, 15:56)Bram77 Wrote: It can just a bit complicated to get audio working properly in Linux. On the other hand it's possible to use multiple outputs at the same time (which can't be done in Windows 7). If you use a recent daily build you won't have much trouble getting SPDIF to work since the recent builds use the new auto engine. This makes everything a lot easier. Wat XBMC version are you using?
You could also try and run...

Code:
alsamixer

...to confirm your SPDIF output isn't muted and volumes are up. If it's not installed just use..

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install alsamixer

...to install it.

i'm using this build: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134252 (specifcally the second update in the OP...:http://xbmcfreak.binkey.nl/xbmcbuntu-11.9-wsnipex-testing-v2.iso )

alsamixer did not have SPDIF output muted...however it said "00" for the volume..which, i guess is a common thing for SPDIF...as long as all the other volumes are on and high enough, it should be okay

i'll update alsamixer to see if it helps... where do i get the daily builds of xbmcbuntu to see if it works?
or did you mean daily builds for xbmc on windows? which i haven't tried yet and from what i read, they have WAY less trouble of getting spdif/digital 5.1 output...

(2012-09-18, 14:33)truthlesshero Wrote: so i wanted to make my htpc as a "pure" htpc experience in the way that the box is only really designed to run xbmc
it seemed that xbmcbuntu was my best option

what you are referring to is called an "appliance". and while i havent used it, openelec may be closer to what you are looking for. it is even more "pure" at running xbmc than xbmcbuntu as i understand it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_appliance
If you want to stick with Windows 7, here is a great option- Windows Customize Windows 7 for 'Complete HTPC feel'......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-09-18, 17:18)bobbintb Wrote:
(2012-09-18, 14:33)truthlesshero Wrote: so i wanted to make my htpc as a "pure" htpc experience in the way that the box is only really designed to run xbmc
it seemed that xbmcbuntu was my best option

what you are referring to is called an "appliance". and while i havent used it, openelec may be closer to what you are looking for. it is even more "pure" at running xbmc than xbmcbuntu as i understand it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_appliance

yes..that's basically what i want, however i was more looking at the software part of it right now..if it ends up being windows 7, i guess that's how it goes...
but i'll check into openelec...it just seems to me that i'd be doing the same thing anyway? installing xbmc on top of an OS?

(2012-09-18, 18:05)bluray Wrote: If you want to stick with Windows 7, here is a great option- Windows Customize Windows 7 for 'Complete HTPC feel'......

i saw that forum this morning...it's what i'm going to follow as a guide if i end up sticking with windows 7...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 versus XBMCBuntu0