Difficulty playing Blu-ray discs in pre-12.0
I'm having trouble playing Blu-rays on the latest nightly builds.

First, I noticed that there was some sort of Blu-ray support built into the pre-12.0 builds, so I tried that, along with AnyDVD HD to decrypt in the background. I've found, however, that XBMC is generally poor at choosing the right title (often choosing a commentary title etc.), and there doesn't seem to be any way of changing which title plays. A debug log for this issue can be found here

Second, I tried the other approach that seems to be popular, which is using an external player like TMT5 with a playercorefactory.xml. I found what looked to be a very helpful post here by bluray, but despite following his instructions to the letter (yes, modified the files instead of just copying and pasting etc.), when I put a disc in and selected the "Play Disc" option in XBMC, nothing seems to happen. I have to manually close or minimise XBMC and launch TMT5 myself, which kind of defeats the point. Debug log for this can be found here.

Any ideas, anyone?
(2012-09-19, 22:38)StartCodon Wrote: Second, I tried the other approach that seems to be popular, which is using an external player like TMT5 with a playercorefactory.xml. I found what looked to be a very helpful post here by bluray, but despite following his instructions to the letter (yes, modified the files instead of just copying and pasting etc.), when I put a disc in and selected the "Play Disc" option in XBMC, nothing seems to happen. I have to manually close or minimise XBMC and launch TMT5 myself, which kind of defeats the point. Debug log for this can be found here.

Any ideas, anyone?
Post your playercorefactory.xml and playdisc.bat codes in here.....I'll try to generate xml and bat files for you....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
And use pastebin.com
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
My playercorefactory.xml
and playdisc.bat
files. As you can tell, I just mainly copied and pasted from your thread, bluray.
(2012-09-20, 02:31)StartCodon Wrote: My playercorefactory.xml
and playdisc.bat
files. As you can tell, I just mainly copied and pasted from your thread, bluray.
Download all three files below and save all three files in "C:\Users\leshougues\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata" folder......launch XBMC and insert your favorite blu-ray disc, and then click "Play Disc" option within XBMC UI to start the movie....

-playercorefactory.xml
-playdisc.bat
-playbdmv.bat

Don't forget to edit the above files to suit your system. For example replace "C:\Users\leshougues" with "C:\Users\your username" and C:\Program Files (86) with C:\Program Files.
@baijuxavior: Yeah, I have - "leshougues" is the user name for my HTPC (don't ask), and I'm running a 64 bit system, so XBMC is installed in ...(x86)...

@bluray: Unfortunately, exact same results (which I kind of expected, as I had copied and pasted your files to begin with). XBMC either sits there and does nothing when I select "Play Disc", or gives me a message about "External player is active, click OK when playback is finished." Neither is helpful, and neither time does TMT5 even launch.

So far, I've tried
  • messing around with AnyDVD HD settings (even uninstalling it at one point)
  • toggling the "Autoplay" setting on/off in TMT5
  • updating to the latest TMT5 I could find (I was a version or two behind from when I tried this with Eden, but I didn't think it would matter)
  • ditching TMT5 for PowerDVD (which just completely didn't work as it just failed to launch, let alone as an external player from XBMC)
The closest thing I've got to playback, other than manually clicking play from within TMT5, is AnyDVD HD + XBMC. This is of course useless as XBMC almost always plays the wrong title and there's no way to tell it otherwise.

I'm out of ideas here. A debug log literally just shows me opening XBMC, everything initialising, then me disabling debug logging, as if I hadn't tried to play the movie.
(2012-09-20, 06:24)baijuxavior Wrote: Don't forget to edit the above files to suit your system. For example replace "C:\Users\leshougues" with "C:\Users\your username" and C:\Program Files (86) with C:\Program Files.
Did you see his codes in post #4? The codes are generated for him, and his user name is used.....

(2012-09-20, 17:04)StartCodon Wrote: @bluray: Unfortunately, exact same results (which I kind of expected, as I had copied and pasted your files to begin with). XBMC either sits there and does nothing when I select "Play Disc", or gives me a message about "External player is active, click OK when playback is finished." Neither is helpful, and neither time does TMT5 even launch.

The closest thing I've got to playback, other than manually clicking play from within TMT5, is AnyDVD HD + XBMC. This is of course useless as XBMC almost always plays the wrong title and there's no way to tell it otherwise.

I'm out of ideas here. A debug log literally just shows me opening XBMC, everything initialising, then me disabling debug logging, as if I hadn't tried to play the movie.
Hang with me....with proper configurations, it'll playback blu-ray using TMT5 automatically when "Play Disc" is clicked......

Since you are sharing Apps (XBMC+TMT5), you need to enable "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC system/system/video output".......and if you haven't done it, you can enable enable "DXVA2 and select DXVA as Render method and disable everything else in XBMC system/video/playback".......you can give my three files a try again.....

(2012-09-19, 22:38)StartCodon Wrote: I'm having trouble playing Blu-rays on the latest nightly builds.

First, I noticed that there was some sort of Blu-ray support built into the pre-12.0 builds, so I tried that, along with AnyDVD HD to decrypt in the background. I've found, however, that XBMC is generally poor at choosing the right title (often choosing a commentary title etc.), and there doesn't seem to be any way of changing which title plays. A debug log for this issue can be found here

Second, I tried the other approach that seems to be popular, which is using an external player like TMT5 with a playercorefactory.xml. I found what looked to be a very helpful post here by bluray, but despite following his instructions to the letter (yes, modified the files instead of just copying and pasting etc.), when I put a disc in and selected the "Play Disc" option in XBMC, nothing seems to happen. I have to manually close or minimise XBMC and launch TMT5 myself, which kind of defeats the point. Debug log for this can be found here.

Any ideas, anyone?
You've not stated what version of XBMC you've tried? in the latest Frodo (v12) snapshots and nightly builds there is a title selection feature that should allow you to choose the right stream, unless you want the full blu-ray menu experience using external players is now redundant IMHO.

@jjd-uk Seriously? I was using a nightly from 2012-09-18 at the time of making this thread, which was the latest available at the time. (Only a few days old now.) It could have been that I was trying to play back a BD-J disc, but I deliberately left on AnyDVD's "speedmenu" feature to get around BD-J menus, so I'm not sure what the problem could be there. (Interestingly, AnyDVD HD was very good at selecting the "Feature" from the list of titles, prominently displaying it at the top of its menu.)

@bluray: Aha! I'll try that; I hadn't thought of that before. Normally I leave the fullscreen window option alone as I tend to get the best results with DXVA from true fullscreen, but I'll see if changing it lets external players work. Apologies for leaving out what seems like an obvious option.

Anyway, more tinkering to do, will report back.

Edit: Success with fullscreen window option. I feel like a bit of an idiot for not realising that sooner, but oh well. Thanks bluray.
(2012-09-21, 13:25)StartCodon Wrote: @jjd-uk Seriously? I was using a nightly from 2012-09-18 at the time of making this thread, which was the latest available at the time. (Only a few days old now.) It could have been that I was trying to play back a BD-J disc, but I deliberately left on AnyDVD's "speedmenu" feature to get around BD-J menus, so I'm not sure what the problem could be there. (Interestingly, AnyDVD HD was very good at selecting the "Feature" from the list of titles, prominently displaying it at the top of its menu.).
See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/872

When playing a full iso rip you should be presented a menu of the titles contained on the disk as represent in mpls playlists, doesn't matter if it had BD-J menu's, it works similar to bd lite functionality that many media streamers have from what I understand.

I've not tested it myself yet as all my blu ray rips are mkv's, but had seen this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ray+titles which suggested it was working as described in the commit.

Have you tried with speedmenu's disabled? as maybe that's causing an issue with the built in XBMC functionality, or it could be skin related in that you need to use Confluence skin to get the title menu. Unless I've totally misunderstood the latest blu-ray developmentsHuh

Hmm, that's weird. I'm pretty sure I did try with speedmenus disabled at some point, but I suppose I can always double check. I'm using Confluence, just for compatibility reasons like this.

I don't play ISO rips either - can never be bothered - but sometimes if I don't have time to rip a Blu-ray to h.264/mkv and just want to watch it immediately I'll watch it off the disc. Shouldn't make a difference though.

Edit: nope, don't know what's happened there, but just disabled speedmenus, renamed my playercorefactory.xml and on selecting "Play Disc", XBMC just jumped straight into the director's commentary title. (I'm doing all of my testing with "The Expendables" Blu-ray, for no other reason that it happened to be the easiest to reach.)
(2012-09-21, 13:25)StartCodon Wrote: @bluray: Aha! I'll try that; I hadn't thought of that before. Normally I leave the fullscreen window option alone as I tend to get the best results with DXVA from true fullscreen, but I'll see if changing it lets external players work. Apologies for leaving out what seems like an obvious option.

Anyway, more tinkering to do, will report back.

Edit: Success with fullscreen window option. I feel like a bit of an idiot for not realising that sooner, but oh well. Thanks bluray.
I'm glad that you got it work.....enjoy it....Nod

Regarding the fullscreen window option- it is not just you, not many users know what it is for either.....if you don't need it for other app, you want to leave it disabled to prevent video tearing......in this case, you need it for TMT5....Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Difficulty playing Blu-ray discs in pre-12.00