remove music + videos addon menus
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Create an advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file in your userdata (wiki) directory:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <virtualshares>false</virtualshares>
</advancedsettings>
If you already have an advancedsettings.xml, just add the <virtualshares> statement.

By the way, why aren't you running XBMC 11.0 (Eden) instead?
Hi atrafael,

Thanx for the tip. I had seen something similar when I searched the forum but I wasn't sure it applied (I was looking for -addon-) noob at xml file syntax reading.

Anyway, I downloaded Eden as well and have it running on my machine but I think maybe its easier to go with 10.1 coz in 11 - it looks like removing the files and addons will be an issue (requiring research Sad ) on the home menu as well -

I was wondering though - if its possible to also then remove the system link from the main home menu so that when any one launches xbmc - they are greeted with the only Videos and Music on the home menu - so system, no weather, no programs no addons (which you sorted out Smile )

as well as disabling the right click menu options

-> I'm setting up Nas boxes on 3 community youth centres in my area ( Avondale - Harare, Zimbabwe) so I am trying to lock it down as much as possible so that the kids just point and shoot so to speak - no need to configure, alter or edit anything.

Really appreciate the help artrafael
  • You can hide the Weather and Programs menu options via System/Settings > Skin > Home Window Options
  • The System menu option cannot be hidden (at least not with the default skin); however, you can create a user profile and password-lock the System menu Settings and File Manager options for that profile so they can't be accessed without the master lock password. See the following wiki articles for more information: Profiles (wiki) and Master Lock
  • You can disable mouse support entirely (System/Settings > System > Input devices > Enable mouse and Touch Pad support) so users won't be able to use the right mouse button to display the context menu; they will have to use the keyboard to control XBMC instead. Another option is to reassign the right mouse button so it functions the same as the left mouse button, thus preventing the context menu from being opened via the mouse. Likewise, you can reassign the keyboard "c" key to some innocuous action rather than opening the context menu. In Eden, you can assign the "noop" action to a key or mouse button so it performs "no operation"; however, I don't believe this is available in Dharma, so instead you have to reassign the key and button to some other action to prevent them from displaying the context menu. See the wiki page on the keyboard.xml (wiki) file for more information on assigning keys/buttons to actions.
Caveat: These instructions refer to XBMC 11.0 (Eden). I don't have Dharma anymore, so I can't verify if all this works on your old release.
Hey - thanx for the prompt response and very helpful info.

In Eden I have seen the mapping for the mouse (can't do it in Dharma) so I have decided to pursue the Eden route Big Grin

Is there any way I can stop these popping down in the main menu using the confluence skin -

I think that's the last step in my quest - its almost similar to this thread

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...+main+menu

except thats on a different skin i believe

thanks again atrafael
You can install and switch to the "Confluence Vertical" skin, which gives you the same look-and-feel as with Dharma (i.e., the submenu items are not displayed overtly): System/Settings > Appearance > Skin > Skin > Get more... > Confluence Vertical
Hey Atrafael.

Hope the weekend was great. Downloading the vertical confluence skin as we speak. Thanx for the assistance friend.

Take care
Houston, we have a problem

I'm guessing there's no way i can remove that :'(
As I'd said in my previous post, the submenu options are not displayed overtly, as is the case with Confluence horizontal. However, the submenus still can be accessed if one knows (about or stumbles upon) the right arrow key. I believe that's the same behavior as with Dharma. You may have to modify the skin if you want to get rid of those options.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remove music + videos addon menus0