[SOLVED] How do I have different music collections (with different profiles)?
Hi everyone,

I have two main folders where I store music. One of these is shared between me and my dad, and the other is just mine (which my dad doesn't like/care).

So, what I wanted to do is have one profile for me, in which the collection is composed of both folders, and one for my dad in which the collection is just one folder. But whenever I remove the source and delete the contents from the library, it deletes for both profiles, even though I've set media sources to "Separate". Is there a way to have the actual collections separate?

Thanks! Blush

P.S.: Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64

EDIT: Also, is it normal that XBMC takes several seconds to retrieve information for a single artist? I'm using Universal Scraper for both artist and album information, using mostly last.fm servers. It also takes a few seconds for it to download and display each remote icon or fanart...
It should work how you have it set up now. I'm not sure why it's removing content for both profiles.
(2012-09-22, 13:56)Ned Scott Wrote: It should work how you have it set up now. I'm not sure why it's removing content for both profiles.
I have only one MyMusic18.db file inside userdata/Database. Shouldn't there be two, one for each profile?

The only folders inside userdata/profiles/PROFILE_NAME are addon_data, keymaps and playlist.
The files are guisettings.xml and sources.xml.

When I remove the source from my dad's profile, I'm asked if I want to remove them from the library as well. If I say no, the songs remain on his collection, so nothing changes. If I say yes, it removes from both profiles' collections...
(2012-09-21, 20:03)vittau Wrote: EDIT: Also, is it normal that XBMC takes several seconds to retrieve information for a single artist? I'm using Universal Scraper for both artist and album information, using mostly last.fm servers. It also takes a few seconds for it to download and display each remote icon or fanart...

Yes that is very normal as it needs to go through several sites to get the info
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-09-22, 18:49)vittau Wrote: I have only one MyMusic18.db file inside userdata/Database. Shouldn't there be two, one for each profile?

The only folders inside userdata/profiles/PROFILE_NAME are addon_data, keymaps and playlist.

When I remove the source from my dad's profile, I'm asked if I want to remove them from the library as well. If I say no, the songs remain on his collection, so nothing changes. If I say yes, it removes from both profiles' collections...

Something is set up incorrectly, then. Each profile should have its own Databases directory with a set of databases. You said that you had "media sources" set up as separate, but do you also have "media info" set up as separate?
(2012-09-22, 19:27)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-09-22, 18:49)vittau Wrote: I have only one MyMusic18.db file inside userdata/Database. Shouldn't there be two, one for each profile?

Something is set up incorrectly, then. Each profile should have its own Databases directory with a set of databases. You said that you had "media sources" set up as separate, but do you also have "media info" set up as separate?
Oh that was it. I thought this option only meant they would share artist information, and thumbnails, not the actual collection...
It's a shame, because that requires a complete re-scan of the files for the new profile. Sad

Thank you.

EDIT: I've managed to bypass this re-scanning process by copying my MyMusic18.db and Thumbnails to the new profile, and then making the changes I needed inside XBMC. Wink

(2012-09-22, 18:56)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-09-21, 20:03)vittau Wrote: EDIT: Also, is it normal that XBMC takes several seconds to retrieve information for a single artist? I'm using Universal Scraper for both artist and album information, using mostly last.fm servers. It also takes a few seconds for it to download and display each remote icon or fanart...

Yes that is very normal as it needs to go through several sites to get the info
I wonder if it's possible to optimize that a bit? Maybe keeping the TCP Socket alive?
Just shooting in the dark here thought, I haven't looked at the source.
Well, you can set up the music portion that will be shared and select the option to copy the database when you make the new profile, then set up the music portion that will be different on that new profile. That way you save some time, but you would still have to update separately.
(2012-09-22, 19:50)Ned Scott Wrote: Well, you can set up the music portion that will be shared and select the option to copy the database when you make the new profile, then set up the music portion that will be different on that new profile. That way you save some time, but you would still have to update separately.
Yeah I did the exact same thing, except I did it manually (see edit above). Thanks. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] How do I have different music collections (with different profiles)?0