Android Smart TV Box - AMLogic M3 STB
CEC is the technical prove that A.I. does exist (Artificial Insanity)
Big Grin

now the real answer please jinx...
(2013-05-14, 14:38)j1nx Wrote: CEC is the technical prove that A.I. does exist (Artificial Insanity)

Wikipedia HDMI Spec: "The CEC allows HDMI devices to control each other when necessary and allows the user to operate multiple devices with one remote control handset".

(2013-04-28, 11:34)pszab Wrote: Geniatech Quad Core Box: ATV1800 with AML8726-M8 SoC (4 Core Cortex 2GHz A9 with 8 Core Mali GPU)
4K2K video decoding and video Output
Dual 1080p video decoding
1080p video encoding
HDMI 1.4b with 3D, HDCP, and CEC
Dolby DD, DD+, DS1, and DTS
http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/04/28/a...z2RkVGp37M

Is it required to have the box rooted to update XBMC?
bbtiger,

thanks but i had already looked up a few definitions online and it still hasn't really clicked in my head, what is the point of CEC?

thats why i was hoping for a plain english explanation from a user, or maybe an example.

why would i want CEC on my adroid smart tv box? I already user a universal remote for all my devices.
If you already have an universal remote, you might not be interested in CEC.

CEC does two things.

1) The artificial Insanity stuff, where it thinks for you. Things like; You turn on your box and the TV assumes you want to watch some stuff, while you just only want to listen to some music. (And then it is impossible to turn of the TV while keep playing music)

That is usually because of bad implementation of the manufacturers.

2) It can sent some basic information over, like remote keys. Think of the arrows and OK key on your TV remote, that can be used to navigate in XBMC. More and more remote key and remotes are getting supported and it might help a lot of people as they do not have to buy IR remotes for their HTPC solution.

For me up to now, they annoyance of 1 has always been bigger than the gain of point 2. I am not a fan, but again that is most likely because of my older hardware / bad implementation.
(2013-05-14, 16:19)thebearnecessit Wrote: bbtiger,

thanks but i had already looked up a few definitions online and it still hasn't really clicked in my head, what is the point of CEC?

thats why i was hoping for a plain english explanation from a user, or maybe an example.

why would i want CEC on my adroid smart tv box? I already user a universal remote for all my devices.
I have the CEC WD TV Live interconnected to my LG TV via LAN. When I turn on my WD box, it'll turn my TV on at the same time and I only use my WD remote to control anything without touching the TV. I guess you already program everything into your remote and CEC won't do you any good Smile

BTW, I love to have something like the Geniatech ATV1800 series STB with XBMC hardware decoder loaded. I'll be getting rid of all other boxes. If the box will be selling <100 bucks, I'll be all over it for each of my TV Smile

The hardware will be available soon but the firmware needed for XBMC will be much further down the road, I'm 'fraid...
Amlogic says Q3, Geniatech says Q1. I tend to believe Amlogic, considering Geniatech their 5+ times push of the 520b release date. Big Grin
(2013-05-14, 17:41)j1nx Wrote: Amlogic says Q3, Geniatech says Q1. I tend to believe Amlogic, considering Geniatech their 5+ times push of the 520b release date. Big Grin

AliExpress is shipping for $119. This sounds like a good start. Any chance that firmware for ATV1200 works on this out of the gate for XBMC?
so whats the story here?

we can buy this new box from geniatech on the aliexpress website, but it doesn't work with xbmc yet? is that right?

j1nx, are your release dates for the xbmc compatible firmware? amlogic say Q3 2013 and geniatech say Q1 2014?
ATV 1200 recognize 4TB external HD? (External power supply) in NTFS?

ATV 1200 have linux system option to install?

Thanks in advanced for anyone that answer my questions.
question...i was wondering how i can return the smart box back to factory settings?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smart TV Box - AMLogic M3 STB4