Third Party Repositories on Raspberry Pi [SOLVED]
Hello,

I am going insane here.

First of all; I bought a Raspberry Pi even though I've almost only used Windows this far, and have installed Raspbian Wheezy.

Now, I would like to be able to install third party repositories in XBMC. It's easy to find the zip files for the repositories, and it's easy to find the zip files for the addons that are needed to find third party repositories easily. But how do I get zip files onto my RPi?

I can't find any suitable addon in the available lists in XBMC, and I've tried installing a web browser and a forum browser - but they don't seem to be able to download anything at all - just show web pages.

I could connect the SD card (that XBMC is running from) to a Linux computer, but...I don't have one. And it seems extremely unnecessary to install a second OS on my desktop computer just to get something like this working.

Please, can someone help me with this?
use e.g. winscp
You mean there's a built-in FTP server in the Raspberry? I already have FileZilla installed on my desktop computer, but it can't connect to anything on the IP I've given the RPi...
If you cant connect with filezilla then there isnt a built in FTP on the Pi.

Winscp is a windows client for transferring files with the scp protocol built into the linux remote shell (ssh). If you have ssh access to your Pi, and you should, you can use winscp, to copy the file.
Thanks for the prompt replies.

I don't seem to be able to reach the RPi via neither FTP or SCP. You can guess my next question: How can I fix it? I know it's a little bit off-topic on this forum, but someone here must have had the same problems and figured it out.

After some quick googling, I understand that SCP sometimes work on the RPi without having to configure it. But in this case it doesn't, so I guess I'll have to fix it via the terminal, somehow. But how do I get to the terminal when XBMC boots automatically?
Hi
Try using putty to ssh to the pi box from a windows pc, you will need to know the ip address the pi is using,the default Wheezy install the user name is pi and the password is raspberry
see if that works and post back..
Put the zip file in a network share like you would for a video file (SMB, etc). Then in XBMC on the Pi go to System -> File Manager

Add a source in the file manager, again, as you would for a video. Now you can load zip files over the network directly from your PC.
@Wozza_au: Thank you, that worked! I had the wrong user/pass info, and for some reason, that made WinSCP tell me that the host didn't exist at all.

@ned Scott: Thanks, maybe that would be just as simple.

Which directory do you guys suggest I put my zip files in? WinSCP automatically opens /home/pi/, would that be OK?

Maybe it makes no difference where I put it, but I'd like to learn a little about this type of systems, and want to know what makes sense.
Hi
Np
You can just make a new folder in home/pi using WinSCP ....I call mine install Wink

Thanks again, now I've used a couple of zip files and it works perfectly!
Hi, can anybody help how to put live stream link code to rpi
Please start a new thread, this one is marked as solved so doesn't need to be resurrected.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Third Party Repositories on Raspberry Pi [SOLVED]0