• 3(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
I know what problem is. Give me 30 sec Smile

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Well I must leave for dinner and drinks. So I'll pick this up again tomorrow. Thanks for your help and hope I have helped.
Ok, it's fixed. Sorry for that. Just log in via ssh and download / run the script again.

EDIT: You sure did. Thanks!

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Hai Bram77, Im on a verge of giving this "auto" install a GO, and just one a ask you if Ill have full windows file sharing goin on, in other words will Ill be able to share media from my win PC to this minimal linux install out of the box? Im using Openelec for the time beeing and its great, but you mentioned how super fast this minbuntuxbmc install is, even faster then openelec, so I wonder if Ill have same out of the box experience?
...Kaiser Neron will Fall...
OK i'm trying one more time just the install of xbmc again before i leave.
Wow, ok great no errors this time and its booted into XBMC. video acceleration works and everything. great thanks. I'll respond more tomorrow when i can test it somemore. Thanks again. This is awesome. You are damn good at this stuff.
(2012-09-29, 23:38)k@iserex Wrote: Hai Bram77, Im on a verge of giving this "auto" install a GO, and just one a ask you if Ill have full windows file sharing goin on, in other words will Ill be able to share media from my win PC to this minimal linux install out of the box? Im using Openelec for the time beeing and its great, but you mentioned how super fast this minbuntuxbmc install is, even faster then openelec, so I wonder if Ill have same out of the box experience?

Accessing shares is handled by XBMC itself. So you'll have no problems with that. It's identical to how XBMC in OpenElec works in that regard.

Depending on what kind of (Infrared) remote you're using, if you're using one at all, you might need to configure lirc during the installation process. I haven't tested an installation with lirc, but it's pretty straight forward and should work.

The boot time is just as fast or faster then OpenElecs is. I do think the overall speed is a little better to. I always have had the feeling XBMC runs smoother on Ubuntu then it does in OpenElec, but I have no proof for that.
Give it a go en please let me know if it worked for you.
(2012-09-29, 23:39)platinum8317 Wrote: OK i'm trying one more time just the install of xbmc again before i leave.
Wow, ok great no errors this time and its booted into XBMC. video acceleration works and everything. great thanks. I'll respond more tomorrow when i can test it somemore. Thanks again. This is awesome. You are damn good at this stuff.

Nice and thanks Smile. I'm not that good at it, I'm just patient an hard-headed :-p

(2012-09-29, 23:41)Bram77 Wrote: Accessing shares is handled by XBMC itself. So you'll have no problems with that. It's identical to how XBMC in OpenElec works in that regard.

Depending on what kind of (Infrared) remote you're using, if you're using one at all, you might need to configure lirc during the installation process. I haven't tested an installation with lirc, but it's pretty straight forward and should work.

The boot time is just as fast or faster then OpenElecs is. I do think the overall speed is a little better to. I always have had the feeling XBMC runs smoother on Ubuntu then it does in OpenElec, but I have no proof for that.
Give it a go en please let me know if it worked for you.
Im using Wifi remote acting as a mouse and keyboard so there wont be any probs. One more question, can I install it on USB stick, just as I do whit Openelec?
Yes you can. Use Unetbootin. How is described in the start post with a few lines.

Thx, will do and post how it went :-)
Reboot, Shutdown, Hibernate and suspend are working now. Just run the script again on your current installation to enable them.

for ATI: prepare_install.sh should either call install_ati_driver.sh or it should execute the aticonfig stuff itself.
The latter is to be preferred as the quantal fglrx is the newest driver out there, even newer then the download from AMDs site.

Note: this only works on AMD series >=5xxx, older hardware needs fglrx-legacy.

could you also add step 5 from http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996 please, it allows proper thread priorities for xbmc. (not ATI specific)

Last note: my testing ppa is not supposed to be used by the average user, it gets bleeding edge code and can break.
Please switch to the normal xbmc-xvba ppa. I will put a quantal package there now.

Thanks for the tips! Does the xbmc-xvba have regular updates (monthly / weekly / daily)? The script is using this repo now. Thanks for adding quantal to the PPA!

I've added the 'allow xbmc to modify nice level' modification to the script. I've read about the nice level before, but I'd left it out because I'm not sure what it does. Could you explain?

The start post now shows that the ati option only work for series 5 and up. I'll add support for the older cards later. I've left out the 'disable underscan(black borders)' option for now because I think most users won't know if it's need until after the first boot. Would it hurt to add this anyway, by default?

Isn't dirty region rendering enabled by default at this point? Of not, I'll add the option to the script.

Before downloading and runnin the script again, execute:

Code:
sudo apt-get -y remove xbmc

..then just run the script again to switch to the xbmc-xvba repository, apply the nice-level fix, reinstall XBMC and apply the ati configuration options. Your XBMC configuration will be safe.
I recommend you do this!

Xbmc is threaded, the nice level -1 allows xbmc to adjust the priority of those threads on the OS level, as some need a higher prio.
Without it, certain race conditions could happen, although the most severe have been fixed already.

Dirty region rendering is still not enabled by default, but there is a PR pending: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1426

Disabling the underscan must be done while X is _not_ running, many users might have problems with that. It depends on the display/TV if it being default is a good idea or not, so there is no perfect default for all. Up to you if you want to include it.

Oh, almost forgot: VAAPI is NOT available yet in my builds, as the renderer changes in FernetMentas tree are not well tested with it. This will probably change sometime after Frodo. If there is a real demand, I can enable it, but without any guarantee that it even works.
Dirty region rendering option has been added too (optional). I'm not really experiencing any difference. So it's either working well, or is already enabled by default Smile
Excelent Smile. I'm learning a lot about the current state of XBMC.

If xbmc wasn't threaded it would be a whole different experience I'm sure Big Grin.
I'm going to add the underscan option for ATI cards as an option. It might be less of a hassle for the less experienced linux users to choose to enable to while x isn't running yet anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

great Smile I also added this thread to my howto
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11