XBMC + Airport Extreme Advice
Hi,

My AFP sources stopped working I've no clue why. I could connect to an AFP source on my iMac but not on the external hdd (HFS). Tried to create new sources and although they would connect and i could scrape etc they just would not play. Rather than mess about any more I moved to NFS as the advice is AFP is buggy (and I can't get SMBup to work)

NFS sources all playing well (although I miss the spinning wheel while the source is "loading" now)

Problem with NFS as noted in the wiki is Mountain Lion powers down...so I can use Caffeine or stop the iMAC from going to sleep. The former is ok for me but a bit much for the Mrs to remember when trying to play something for the kids and the latter just seems a bit environmentally unsound.

....(and I'll get to the point) if I connect my External HDD to Airport Extreme will SMB shares work...or SMB support is also cooked on AE?

...any other advice on AE before i splash out?

Ta
No reply so I figured it must have been a noob question and I took the plunge. Well...setup was ok as far as getting AEBS on my network, a bit of trial and error on the configuration required but got there in the end. So then trying to edit my sources for my new AEBS+External HDD combo. I can only say zeroconf didn't work for me..it shows the AEBS ok but can't reach the hdd it seems. However, looking at some other posts I found I could connect by manually entering (with the atv remote ouch!) smb://username:diskpassword@IPaddressOfAEBS/NameOfAirDiskVolume/Directory/

I set my AEBS as a static IP address on my router so I hopefully won't have to enter all my sources again. AEBS is set to disk password.

Now if I can only figure out why I keep getting "Server connections interrupted" popup I'll be there (nothing to do with XBMC)
As you've already found out, SMB should work just fine on AE.

However, some people have had some really weird issues in the past with using AE as a file server for XBMC. It's not something I've had an issue with on my own AE, but it does seem to be a real issue for some people. We've had lots of threads about it, and it's stumped a lot of us.

Because of that, sometimes we run away in fear from AE questions because we tried so hard but couldn't figure it out ;)

However, it sounds like you have it working out alright now? Is the "Server connections interrupted" popup happening within XBMC?
Hello Ned,

Yes so far so good. Have given the set-up a quick smoke test playing some HD content, small step and large step forwarding etc. Will continue to play around.

No the "server connections interrupted" is on my imac...seems to be a very common issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/426...0&tstart=0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC + Airport Extreme Advice0