Media Master - Trinity Build
Media Master - A Trinity build

Sorry about the crappy picture. Will get better one soon.

I am posting this now to get feedback and as a build log for my upcoming HTPC build. I already have started getting a few parts, and now just need a few more to start the process of getting this thing up and running. The reason I decided to go with a trinity build is that with the FM2 socket I will have future upgradeability without buying a new motherboard(hopefully). Also the Trinity CPU is a step up from a Llano build. I am on a pretty strict budget so I have gotten a few parts already at what I felt was a good deal at the time. I will be using XBMC(obviously) and Windows 7/8. The requirements for my system is as follows:

1. Be a low powered, silent "Media Master"
2. Play ANY video file upto 1080p flawlessly(Trinity should have no problems here).
? 3. Be able to transcode on the fly to a RaspberriPi or just have the RaspberriPi play media from HTPC.
? 4. Find some way to play media from HTPC over the internet while traveling, etc.
5. Be a server for Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Headphones.
6. 3d Capable(Wife is not sold on 3d.)

The HTPC will be connected to a 42" Hitachi plasma through DVI(Old TV, no HDMI). And for sound will be hooked up with an optical cable to my reciever. Here is my parts list so far:

Case: nMEDIAPC Red Wood Wood/Steel HTPC 8000 ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4 FM2 AMD A75
Processor: AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHz
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-64G 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC
X Storage HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
DVD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner

Questions:

1. Do I need to get a higher priced processor to be able to use my 1866 DDR3? I have seen things that say the A4 5300 can only accept up to 1600 DDR3.
2. Can XBMC do the two things listed above or am I going to need other software?
3. I am sure I will think of more. I just had one but I cannot remember.

Thanks for any help!
The Llano integrated GPU supports 3D. I would be surprised if the Trinity integrated GPU does not. The A85 chipset supposedly has HDMI 1.4a. Where do you read Trinity, or at least the A4-3500, does not have 3D support?

As far as the memory goes, for HTPC duties you'll see no difference between DDR3-1866 and DDR3-1600. You're better off with DDR3-1600 with low latency but even then for HTPC you'll see no difference. DDR3-1600, at least for Llano, is considered the "sweet spot". I linked an article in one of these threads the other day comparing different memory speeds and Llano GPU performance.

For storage, a 5400RPM drive would be quieter, more efficient and maybe cost less. There's no need for a 7200RPM HDD for media storage.

Overall, if Trinity trends the way Llano did, the A8-5600 will probably be the sweet spot like the A6-3500 was. These days the difference is like $10-15 so it's worth it. If you're buying AMD you're likely buying it for the integrated GPU so why get the lowest powered one. If the A4-3500 is all you can afford, you might as well get a Celeron/Pentium and save yourself some money, heat and power.
This is the unofficial pricing scheme for Trinity.

Processor Cores Speed (GHz) TDP (W) Graphics Price
A4-5300 2 3.4/3.7 turbo 65 HD 7480D $59.60
A6-5400K 2 3.6/3.8 turbo 65 HD 7540D $73.59
A8-5500 4 3.2/3.7 turbo 65 HD 7560D $109.38
A8-5600K 4 3.6/3.9 turbo 100 HD 7560D $109.38
A10-5700 4 3.4/4.0 turbo 65 HD 7660D $131.45
A10-5800K 4 3.8/4.2 turbo 100 HD 7660D $131.45

The difference in price between the next step up that I could consider is $50. The would give me a better graphics processor and a quad core. I cannot find it, but I saw a slide from AMD(?) that said that the A4(and possibly the A6, memory is not too good) would not have HD3D support. I wish I could find it. I will look again.

I already have the ram, so I guess I could run it at the slower 1600 if the processor can't run it at 1866. And I could tighten up the timings at the lower speed I am sure. And in regards to the 7200RPM vs 5400RPM, The 7200RPM one I linked is the best $ per TB I could find. I would like to buy a 2TB but I could only find one for $99 which is a 5400RPM HDD but $30 more.
That's quite a jump in price. It feels like there's something missing in the middle. I wonder if they'll drop a triple-core later with the better graphics core like the A6-3500.

Can you link where you found those prices?
It has been picked up by a lot of websites, but here is just the first one I found.

http://www.zdnet.com/amd-trinity-apu-pri...000003620/

That shows a webpage of a retailer but it might not be 100% accurate. I also found this pricing scheme which shows prices to be a tad lower.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010666/a...d-cpu.html
I love 1866 Smile ..... The trinity processors sound sexy... I would love to get my hands on a A10-5800K and play some games to see what it can do by itself....

Keep us posted...
So I decided to go with a different case that my wife liked better.

nMEDIAPC Red Wood Wood/Steel HTPC 8000 ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Got it for $71.99 w/free shipping. Not too bad. Now just can't wait for Trinity tomorrow!!! Big Grin
Sweet. I've always loved that case. You have to post pictures of your build!
AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz is out and looks good. $59.99 . altough I am got the fm1 a4 version and its running xbmc without any issues or lag, for the prices I am looking at , I would wait for the a8 or a10 (not k version )
It went up in price a bit I believe, to $64.99, but It is looking pretty nice. But I think I will go with the A6-5400K to be able to use my 1866 memory to its fullest. Also most of the Motherboard/APU's you can get as a combo for $10 less. I just gotta wait a few weeks to get the money to purchase it. Then I can start finally building my HTPC. Pretty excited to get it all put together. My wife is not so sure it can replace cable, but I am. I just now need to figure out which theme she likes for XBMC. I am pretty fond of Aeon Nox, but I have downloaded all the different themes, just need to go through them with her.
So the nMediaPC HTPC 8000 came today. Overall I am pretty pleased with the case. Solid wood is a DEFINITE plus! Also got the PSU and the OD installed. After some wrangling, and figuring out I could only use the back two screws on the DVD drive, everything lined up perfect, and the drive works with the front panel flawlessly. Now just have to get the MB and CPU. Also, I powered on the PSU and the 140mm rear fan, and could not hear any fan noise. Anyway, here is the unboxing of the 8000.

Came in at 22.5 lbs, and is pretty heavy. Got even heavier(of course) after adding the OD, and PSU. Had styrofoam on the sides, as well as a plastic bag. Pretty sturdy packaging. No damage to the case in shipment. Great packing job by nMediaPC.

WAF is also good on this case. She definitely likes the case. If anyone has any questions, let me know.
So I am still waiting to save up the money for the MB and CPU. I have a question to ask though. I "acquired" 2 160GB Seagate Momentus 7200.4 HDD from work. I have noticed that when you are downloading and extracting files using SabNZB that it really beats down the HDD. Would it be beneficial to put all the Sab downloaded files on the 160GB HDD's to do their processing so it does not slow down XBMC and my storage drive doing that? I might just do it anyway since it does seem like to me that it would speed things up. Just seeing if anyone has any input. Thanks.
So I ended up getting an A8-5600k on TigerDirect on a black Friday deal for 89.99. Also bought a 16GB flash drive to install Windows from. Free shipping on both. Pretty decent deal. I am waiting until tomorrow to see if the MB will go on Cyber Monday deal. Should get this build going soon!
Well I finally finished the build. Won't do me too much good, since I found out that I will be deploying in Feb. So my newly built HTPC will prob get shelved till I get back. Sucks. Ahh well, life goes on.

The final build out of the computer was pretty straight forward. Got the hardware installed, got Windows installed, and then XBMC, etc. I started to get all my automation going with SAB, SB, CP, and Headphones, but ran into a HUGE show stopper with SAB. Every time I try downloading something with SAB, it completely knocks out my network connection to the HTPC. I have posted over at the SAB forums, but no one has made any headway. I may have to reinstall or something, but it is really frustrating.
(2012-12-03, 22:45)will25u Wrote: Won't do me too much good, since I found out that I will be deploying in Feb.
Good luck...and thank you very much for your services.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Master - Trinity Build1