Major problems -- I broke my XBMC
Okay... I was trying to sync my database and move it to my server and when I ssh'd into the xbmc box I thought it would be a good idea to apt-get upgrade the packages. I also changed the hostname so that it was more understandable (because I was going to be installing another one).

Well... Now I can't get in to xbmc. It just sits on the splash screen with the dots going across and then after a little while the dots stop going across. I can ssh into the box but I can't do anything with it. xbmc doesn't come up.

I was frustrated with this so I figured I would setup my new box and deal with this later so I re-downloaded xbmcbuntu. The hardware for my new box is the exact same model number (foxconn nt-535) except the new one only had 2GB of Ram instead of 4GB. Well... This time when I went to install xbmcbuntu from my thumb drive it gave me a black screen. The installer isn't showing up which I have boiled down to an incompatibility with my graphics chipset and ubuntu 11.10. I have tried playing with the nomodeset but that had no effect. Still no installer.

I downloaded Damn Small Linux just to test it and I installed that and it booted up (with GUI) just fine. So, I went to ubuntu's site and downloaded their alternate install cd (text installer). This worked to install it but then when I went to boot into the box it just shows me the black screen again and seting nomodeset still does not work.

Theory: I think that XBMC originally was maybe 10 PRE which still showed up as Eden but I think it was on Ubuntu 10.10 instead of 11.10. From my research this black screen thing seems to have been introduced with 11.10.

Question: Where can I download the XBMCbuntu 10 PRE iso? I have looked on sf.net but cannot find it there. I have looked around the site and cannot find it anywhere.

Please, someone, help. I was up until 4:30am trying to get this working and now I'm at it again.
Update: I guess you shouldn't work on these things during the wee hours of the morning... I plugged in my old box again today and it seems that me changing the hostname back to the original xbmc-1 fixed the issue and it now boots into XBMC.

So... The black screen issues are still happening on the new box. I have confirmed that the first box is running Ubuntu 11.10 by showing /etc/issue. So I have no clue as to what is happening.

Any help and assistance would be appreciated.
Okay... Majorly frustrating. Since the original box worked when I woke up this morning I decided to give the install another chance and this time it worked first try.

Man I want to pull my hair out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Major problems -- I broke my XBMC0