Linux stream movie to another computer
Is there a way to stream a movie from one xbmc to another say a lounge installation to a bedroom?
I read this http://www.howtogeek.com/75535/how-to-sy...with-xbmc/
but it only seems to deal with syncing and I do not have a network HDD.
I could make my Ubuntu always on installation have shared drives if that would work?
Yes this is easy. If you don't care about having the database in sync such as viewed movies. just smb share the folder or drive with samba. then add the smb share to your library in xbmc.
the guide above is for syncing the database across multiple computers. and if you do it that way you should add your content as a smb share even on the machine that has the drive attached so the path is identical regardless of what machine you are on.
(2012-09-30, 20:24)rattking Wrote: Yes this is easy. If you don't care about having the database in sync such as viewed movies. just smb share the folder or drive with samba. then add the smb share to your library in xbmc.
the guide above is for syncing the database across multiple computers. and if you do it that way you should add your content as a smb share even on the machine that has the drive attached so the path is identical regardless of what machine you are on.

Can I use Linux NFS shares instead?
of course. just so the path is identical on all boxen if you go the mysql route
(2012-09-30, 21:09)rattking Wrote: of course. just so the path is identical on all boxen if you go the mysql route

I just shared some folders on the server but I cannot see them from the client:

usb@usb:~$ showmount 192.168.0.9
Hosts on 192.168.0.9:

Does this mean I have to mount them on the host first as well?
I really wish Ubuntu would just mount stuff automatically.
after you added the directory to /etc/exports did you run 'exportfs -a' or '/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart' ? what does 'exportfs' on the nfs server say?
restarting worked.
However, on the client xbmc now, I can see the smb folders when trying to Add media.
However, it then asks for a password.
I put in guest for login and leave password blank showing up as (set)
but it won't connect, it just keeps displaying a new login screen.

usb@usb:/mnt$ smbclient -L 192.168.0.9 -Uguest
Enter guest's password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.3]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
print$ Disk Printer Drivers
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (jmediacentre-A880G server (Samba, Ubuntu))
Videos Disk
Media Disk
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.3]

Server Comment
--------- -------
JMEDIACENTRE-A88 jmediacentre-A880G server (Samba, Ubuntu)
USB usb server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
WORKGROUP JMEDIACENTRE-A880G

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
stream movie to another computer0