Linux Setting resolution in XBMCBuntu
Another Linux nooB here, but hopefully not with a stupid question...

I am working with a Dell USFF Optiplex 760. FYI it is a core2 duo, 945GM chipset, GMA 4500 graphics. I am having troubles with setting up XBMCBuntu 11 just downloaded today.

I was not seeing an option for 1920x1080 when I attached it to my TV, but I did get 1920x1080 when I attached to my monitor. Ergo the system has no problem with 1920x1080 resolution, it just wasn't seeing it as a supported mode in XBMCBuntu. I hooked another computer up to the TV and ran XBMCBuntu on it, then issued $xrandr --verbose to get a detailed working mode line. Hooked back up the system of interest, issue the $xrandr --newmode and $xrandr --output lines and bam I have 1920x1080 on my new TV. Now here is my problem...

The change I made is only good for a one-time fix. I need to make changes to the configuration files so I can always see this mode and hopefully force them as default, but I have no idea of where to make the changes. Every thread and blog I found suggests one place or another, but I do not have the supposed configuration files at the directories everyone suggests. Perhaps it is because the baseline is now lubuntu, perhaps because I am not using nvidia or ati, or perhaps I have to create the file.

After like two hours of opening every file that looks like it might hold configuration data I am at my wits end. Please help!
you can put the modelines in xorg.conf
For those who are interested...

I was able to get an xorg.conf file by
1. Getting a terminal with ctrl alt f1
2. stopping the GUI with $ sudo service lightdm stop (which itself was a pain since I didn't know it was lightdm instead of gde)
3. Get a basic xorg.conf in your home directory with $ sudo Xorg -configure
4. Restart the GUI with $ sudo service lightdm start
Note that I tried booting to a root terminal to get the xorg.conf file and kept getting an error message

To fix the file I added a few modelines in the first monitor section, then added those modes to the first screen (subsection display).

Sorry I am not keen enough to detail the whole thing but I already lost a day of work fighting with this stupid thing, but it works great now!

I also have the edid in hex from the $ xrandr --verbose dump if anyone can describe how to use it. I saw instructions for using edid.bin but would have had to jump through hoops to create one to find out if it was the same, or in binary format, figure out endian-ness, etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting resolution in XBMCBuntu0