Can it really replace cable?
Compare XBMC to the Cable company's access device make no sense at all, just like saying the Internet and the telephone networks is the same thing. Why people keep thinking XBMC is replacing the cables? The cables is not in the context at all! What's in common XBMC with the Cable devices? Can you switch to different cable providers like you switch to different video sources on XBMC? The thing to be replace by XBMC is the free to air TV not cable TV, cable TV runs on proprietary networks, locked up, require subscription to access its network as well as the content delivered on this network. The thefts to the cable company is someone break into the closed network and access the data flow on this private network. Different to the Internet!

Comparing the XBMC users to the content thefts are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG and WRONG!!!

Did Internet require subscription from network operator? YES! Did they pay for the access? YES. Did Internet users break into the network to access stuff? NO !!!!

Internet is commonly accessible, It's ONE BIG PUBLIC network, not many SMALL PRIVATE networks. It should be compare to the air, in everywhere and for everyone. So XBMC should be compare to free to air TV! Anyone brought TV can access free to air programs, Free to watch or not, Free to switch to any other TV channels from different TV stations as wish. Have you been asked to pay for watching TV except the television itself?

Internet is the cloud in the air, So when someone in a helicopter throw money into the air, will you blame the crowd try to catch the wind fall are the thefts because the money come from the air belongs to someone else?

We have a Roku and a Plex Server (with add-ons), we have the Apple TV, and now a Mac Mini running Plex and XBMC. With all of this, we wondered why we were paying for cable. For a few weeks we vowed to exclusively use the XBMC set up as our primary source of viewing. WOW! It worked, we utilized things such as Trakt and Sidereal to keep lists of shows we subscribe to. We use ***REMOVED***, and many others to fulfill our needs. The Mac Mini was purchased with the savings. We began with a G-Box. After nearly a year of this, and with the added purchase of an indoor amplified antenna, and a Logitech Smart Hub, we will not look back to cable, but forward to improving this set up when possible. Financially, we are ahead at this point after purchasing all of the things we use for XBMC. The Roku and Apple we have had for years prior. The Harmony Smart Hub really improved the system and made it feel very slick and professional as a real "Entertainment Center". I have of recent weeks, removed the Apple TV, we just are not using it so it will be sold via eBay. Yes, to answer the question, it can replace cable. If you are a Live Sports fanatic, your choices might be frustrating, if you live in the U.S. We keep the Netflix account active for the Grandchildren, their Kid's Menu selection is incredible, and affordable.

MOD EDIT: Try not to mention add-ons that break the forum rules (wiki), please.
I admit to not reading the entire contents off this thread. Having said that, early on a user posted that they are using FreeNas for storage. I am using Unraid. With Unraid you can set up Sickbeard, Couchpotato, and Sabnzbd on the server so that you don't have to leave your computer on for searching / downloading. I'm not sure if FreeNas has that capability or not.
Careful guys on what you mention. This thread is on the borderline for our forum rules ;)
Sorry about the violation! My whole point is that you can, if you aren't afraid to invest a little time and money (the money thing is really subjective to your own needs) and use XBMC as designed, a personal media control center!
(2012-10-06, 19:13)Balthazar Wrote: [quote='ThePolarSky' pid='1204662' dateline='1349206871']
Just realize that using SABnzbd, Sick Beard, and Couch Potato is theft. No ifs, ands, or buts.

...at least if you're in a developed country with intellectual property laws. If you're a third worlder, then I guess it would depend on the whims of your dictatorship / corrupt government officials.

You can buy those series legitimately through an online retailer. XBMC is a way to *play* content, not a way to acquire content. Fundamentally, XBMC by itself can't replace cable TV. That will require $$$ or theft.

Is it truly "stealing?" Maybe based on some Government bureaucrats legalese but I do not believe it really is stealing. Why? Let me posit this:

If I go to a movie theater and pay to watch the latest and greatest blockbuster... there is no guarantee that the movie or the crew is going to get paid the money I spent to watch it. Why?... because I have the power to walk out of the theater and ask for my money back (which I have done before... the "Book of Eli" is one that comes to mind). I paid to see it, thought it sucked about half way through and walked out and requested my money back from the theater. No harm no foul. In contrast, had I stayed to watch it... they would have received my dollars.

So my point is that if I watch a movie that was torrented or otherwise downloaded/streamed and I like that movie... I am going to buy it anyway. If I don't, I won't. It is the same difference and walking out of the movie theater and requesting my money back. In either scenario, they are not going to get my money if I am not satisfied with product. If I am, then they will be paid. That's the way it works (at least economically).

Now in the eyes of the law it is not viewed that way... but from a moral standpoint... it is the same. So "stealing" may be how you characterize it but "test drive" or product satisfaction is how I categorize it.
As to the original question....
No XBMC can not replace Cable...But with the right PVR and M-Card it could replace your Cable set top box.
As more Networks start supporting Mobile Apps and Subs outside of Cable this will change for the better.

As for "is downloading content Theft?" Yep it really is....
But then again so is what the Cable and Content Companies do to you by making you pay for channels you never watch, didn't want in the first place and can't refuse for a discount even if you wanted to.

Want ESPN well too bad you have to also pay for all the Disney Channels you don't want because you don't have kids because Disney won't unbundle ESPN from their other properties when it comes time to sign a cable contract. And the cable company passes the lack of savings onto you!

That doesn't make Piracy an OK thing to do...But it does inspire people to cancel their subscriptions and turn to torrents to find the few shows they WOULD pay for if that was all they were paying the cable and content companies for.

If they truly want to stop people from pirating and canceling their cable subscriptions they had better start offering alacart programming packages.
I have Kodi and get content in less than legit ways. I also pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video.

That said, I still have a Dish Network subscription. There are just too many shows the wife and kids enjoy that arent available online. I wish i could go to straight Kodi, but after doing this for almost 10 years (xbmc days) i dont see it happening.
@thesuffering - to coin a phrase, "I'm a pirate, and so's my wife" Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can it really replace cable?0