New to XMBC: CableCard + EPG?
I hope this is the right place, if not will a mod please move?

I would like to start using XBMC as my main platform for front end.

Right now I have WMC7 +MediaBrowser HTPCs around the house and they are big, and slow and now MSFT is killing WMC with their release of Win8 so i think its time to abandon ship.

I have played with XBMC and can stream files from my server no problem. My concern is Live TV, Particularly Cable Card via HDHR Prime.

I have read some of the forums around and found out how to generate .strm files http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13457
But I am unsure on how to get this to work with XBMC ? I read various stuff here and there but am unsure what is best practice. I dont know python (yet), but I am familiar with Linux and shell scripting so if I needed a MythTV backend, I can swing that, but obviously i already have a W7 backend, so i would prefer to leverage that if possible.

Is full PVR functionality feasable yet with XBMC (CableCard Encrypted Channels, EPG, etc.)?
If so, do these also work on Android or ATV(1/2) hardware?

I realize this is a really broad post, but if someone can point in the right direction that would be a huge help.
How are MS killing WMC? It's just going to be an addon instead.
(2012-10-02, 18:31)Malosar Wrote: How are MS killing WMC? It's just going to be an addon instead.

Yes. Also read the same story. WMC will be available in the PROFESSIONAL or higher versions of WINDOWS 8. So effectively you have to buy it extra. WINDOWS 7 still has it built in.
Bump....

Within the last week I've noticed the Frodo release and Comcast called me with a killer deal that excluded DVR support. I'd love to get the new XMBC up as a frontend to my comcast sub. It sounds like WMC is really the only option at this point, but I wonder, with Frodo out, will this be the future of XBMC?
Comcast + Cable Card + XBMC PVR should be able to take care of you. Comcast is one of the few cable companies that allows access (the copy flag) on almost all of their channels. The only channels that won't work are ones like HBO, Showtime, etc. It takes some doing getting it all set up, and I'm still trying to hammer it out myself, but it is possible.
What backends are you testing for this purpose Ned? I'm interested as I currently run a WMC network with Cetons and network tuners, which works very well. If I can use everything solely in XBMC though....
I am running Fedora 17 with the RPMFusion repo MythTV 0.26 setup, using two HDHomerun Prime's (one for recording, one for LiveTV.. I don't want conficts!), on Comcast, and a modified RPMFusion testing version of Frodo w/MythTV PVR addon with F17 on the frontends.

You have to register for a Schedules Direct account to get the lineup. The only downfall to MythTV so far is you cannot record/view any HBO, SHO CineMax, etc. channels.. which is not a loss in my mind at this moment.

The best part is I get AnyRoom DVR type service, without having to pay DVR/STB fees (which gets really, really expensive QUICK). The MythTV PVR addon supports LiveTV with timeshifting; I use the MythWeb interface to setup my recordings (much easier than using the frontends in my mind).
(2012-12-04, 16:51)Malosar Wrote: What backends are you testing for this purpose Ned? I'm interested as I currently run a WMC network with Cetons and network tuners, which works very well. If I can use everything solely in XBMC though....

Tried with TVheadend and kept hitting walls, so then I tried with MythTV and got all confused. I haven't had a lot of time lately to go at it again, so it could easily just be something simple that I'm messing up.
Check out nextpvr
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Interested in working on this myself. I've been using a dual quad-tuner ceton setup with cable cards through Comcast. I currently have the 2 tuners running on a windows 7 pc and 6 xbox 360s for live tv and recording playback but with the advances xbmc is making and the great apps available to control xbmc I'd really like to switch over. I'm wondering if i can run both systems at the same time (for testing purposes and won't be able to get playback devices on all 6 TVs at once) on the same pc - with 4 tuners devoted to each backend.

I realistically watch LIVE tv less then 1 hour a month and don't really care about live viewing and I can already play the .wtf files in xbmc but I don't get episode meta deta and sorting in XBMC. Anyways, I'll play around with some and report back with my results - this is a area of great interest to me.
just to set the record straight:

Unlike Windows 7, Windows 8 will not come with Windows Media Center as part of the operating system. It's now an add-on that can be purchased through the Add Features option in Windows 8. For a limited time, however, Microsoft is offering Windows Media Center to Windows 8 Pro customers for free. Here's how to get it:

Request your free product key from Microsoft's Web site.
Hit the shortcut, Win+W, then type "add features." Select "Add features to Windows 8."
Click on "I already have a product key," then enter your product key. Click Next to continue.
Agree to the licensing agreement, then click "Add features."

Once the offer expires on January 31, 2013, the cost to add Windows Media Center will be $9.99. This offer does not apply to Windows 8 users who aren't running the Pro version. Non-Windows 8 Pro users will have to purchase the Windows 8 Pro Pack in order to get Windows Media Center.
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
Windows 8 Media Center currently has issues streaming video to extenders. Don't upgrade just yet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...186a0bd623

I would love to switch to XBMC for live TV, but the barrier to entry for setting it up as reliable PVR seems too high right now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to XMBC: CableCard + EPG?1