No Video with Bogus Hints on EyeTV Exports
Hi,

ATV2 with iOS 4.3 (build 8F455) and Apple TV Software 4.3 (2557)

XBMC (11.0 Git:20120702-f3cd288), Built on Jul 2 2012
installed via apt-get update, apt-get upgrade

We use XBMC to serve recordings made with EyeTV. To save space we remove ads, compact the files and export to .m4v files using the AppleTV or iPod presets. With certain recordings, video playback is blank. The audio is ok at first, then begins to stutter, and starts buffering. The connection is gigabit ethernet to a Synology NAS which does just fine serving the other two XBMC boxes in the house. I turned debugging on and attempted to play two problematic files. The link to the full log is below, but this line sticks out:

NOTICE: Open - bailing with bogus hints, width(0), height(0), profile(-99), level(-99)

This doesn't occur with the rest of our EyeTV exports, which play perfectly. This problem is not tied to the format of the original source channel (720p, 1080i). In fact, when my wife recorded and exported two episodes of a sitcom on the same night, same channel, one plays back and the other does not. MediaInfo doesn't report any differences in the codec, number of reference frames, and so on.

These files play correctly with XBMCbuntu and OpenELEC on the HTPC attached to our main TV, and using OpenELEC on a first-generation Apple TV in the basement. The also play fine in VLC, QuickTime Pro 7, QuickTime X, and Movist (using QuickTime or ffmpeg).

A year and a half ago (?) we had this same problem with XBMC Live (as it was back then), which interpreted these files as having infinite width, but we could cycle through view modes and manually stretch it to 16:9. At some point one of the Dharma releases fixed the issue, and it has worked with Eden on those linux-based boxes.

On the ATV2 changing the view mode has no effect.

As a side note, the same issue occurs with XBMC 11.0 (Git:20120321-14feb09) on our iMac, so I assume there is an Apple-specific issue in the background. (Ironically, EyeTV exports using QuickTime, as I recall.)

Many thanks for any help you can offer!

xbmc.log:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1255291/

MediaInfo for the two files accessed during that run:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1255293/
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1255295/

Quick update: rebuilding the containers with ffmpeg via "-acodec copy -vcodec copy" results in files that play in XBMC. I can do that for the entire library, but it would still be nice to figure out how they can play without the extra step. Any new recordings have a 50% chance of exhibiting the behavior. (Then I can go back to the source and figure out why EyeTV exports have this problem.)

I tried the xbmc-20121002-0358798-master-atv2.deb nightly, which acted the same.

Do the linux-based ports of XBMC have a few extra lines of code which deal better with the bad height and width data?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Video with Bogus Hints on EyeTV Exports0