Newbie - with some questions
I tested out XBMC on my laptop last night and i was s impressed in where it currently is at.

seeing that i dont use my playstation anymore other than to watch movies and iplayer i have decided to ditch the PS3 and get my self a XBMC.

Im guessing ill create a small form factor box with tonnes of space.

The only questions i have are...

As its a replacement to my PS3, i was wondering if i can get all the channels on their currently iplayer, channel 4od, channel 5 and itv? (Obviously im in the UK)

Is there any way to watch these channels via live streaming and not just after they have played.

Whats the cleanest way to have XBMC on a pc, Windows/XBMX or Linux/xbmc or the XBMCbuntu distrubution - i ask as i would like to put a torrent app on the machine and use my jdownloader.?

Many thanks

Jonathan
Hi Jnash,
Welcome to the forum
Iplayer
ITV
4 on Demand - No recent programmes work due to a change in the website but a fix is in the works but is unlikely any time soon!
5 on demand has broken - not likely to work any time soon.

LiveTV - Fantastic addon - you need to sign up for free on their website - www.tvcatchup.com

the cleanest way is a xbmcbuntu distribution - you can install a torrent app on this - dont have much experience but I am sure on the forums there is a guide how to set this all up.
Skygo Addons Repo
Repo - Skygo V2

SkyGo V2 Addon Forum
About 18 months ago I switched from using PS3 to an HTPC with XBMC for my media viewing and listening, and wished I'd made the switch sooner.
Imho nothing either free or commercial beats the XBMC experience once you have it set up how you want it.
As syborg stated the Demand 5 and 4OD addons have stopped working recently,
however BBC Iplayer is much better than any other version apart from the web one (it is the web one just via XBMC) and offers more content than the PS3, cable tv or smart tv versions,
the tvcatchup addon is good for live tv but there is now version 2 of the Filmon addon which allows you to watch all the main UK tv channels in a slightly superior picture quality to tvcatchup and if you sign up for a free Filmon account you can record programs "in the cloud" via your browser and watch your recordings in XBMC.
Thanks for your quick replies..

I will be adding them.

Im now in the process of specing out a cheap box to run XBMCBUNTU

just need to make sure that i can do the following

Download Torrents
Download Via JDownloader
Burn DVD

also - does XBMC read iso? or do they need to be mounted?

Thanks

Jonathan
XBMC reads iso's just fine
Reads iso even reads iso inside a rar file if you are to lazy to unpack the archive Smile
Hardware. Asrock VisionX, Onkyo TX-SR508, LG 47", ReadyNAS Ultra 6 TB | Software. XBMC Frodo, Aeon Nox 4.0, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, SABnzbd
[trakt.tv]
Thanks - sounds great...

i noticed there is a program area in XBMC - does that mean i could launch a browser. Utorren and Jdownloader?

If so - can that be done using XBMubuntu as i can imagine it easily done if i was running windows underneath

Thanks again for everyones help

Jonathan
There is addons for utorrent and I believe even for jdownloader. i never use .torrents but I think the addon for utorrent is a frontend much like the web gui, could be wrong..
Hardware. Asrock VisionX, Onkyo TX-SR508, LG 47", ReadyNAS Ultra 6 TB | Software. XBMC Frodo, Aeon Nox 4.0, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, SABnzbd
[trakt.tv]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie - with some questions0