Setup Wizard - First time startup guide / tutorial after the installation of XBMC?
Lightbulb 
ok, i searched and didn't find any suggestions like this. what i'm proposing is putting an extra xml tag in the xboxmediacenter.xml file, something like "<firstrun>", and if it is set to true (which it should be in cvs and thus all the builds), have a first time setup wizard start up which would guide the user through the initial setup...stuff like network settings, bookmarks, etc would be included in the wizard. after the wizard is done it would set the xml tag to false and it will never run again (but maybe have an option to run it again in the settings menu?)

i think this would help a lot of newcommers and make the project prettier.

now that i think about it, maybe it would be better to store the firstrun tag on the hard drive...

anyway, anyone else think this would be a good idea?
This has been suggested before, see http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/519, the problem is that no developer(s) have volunteered to program/code it for XBMC,

...any takers?, I would very much like XBMC to have this too Nod
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I've was thinking about this the other day. I think that new users could benefit from a setup wizard when starting xbmc the first time after they installed it.

An introductory setup that takes them through the basic first steps of configuring xbmc. Setting up shares, setting content/scrapers, adding media to the library and profiles for instance. The goal wouldn't be setting every possible setting imaginable but just the basic things to get started.

Now, I hear some of you thinking "Me no need no friggin wizards, I'm hardcore brah!" I know, I'll get by without it too. But as xbmc is spreading it's wings to other platforms it will likely be attracting people that are less tech savvy or just want things as easy as possible.

I would be willing to create some sort of concept/proposition when I have the time, but let's see if there's any interest in it at all or if it's just a bad idea Wink
xbmc, itself, requires very little configuration, other than the addition of sources. and the "add source" dialog handles most of this rather well, though it doesn't initiate a scan immediately afterwards (nor do I think it should as not every user wants to use the library.)

what could be done, is if there's no sources, immediately jump into the "add source" dialog so the user doesn't have to click on it.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Concepts + propositions are always a good place to start - we want to make it as easy as possible for everyone to use.

I guess the key is that:

1. Users shouldn't have to alter settings - the defaults should be fine for all, and if they're not, we need to tweak them.

2. The only thing they should need is to set where their media is located. This I agree could be optimized somewhat, but how to do it is a tricky one.

3. Skins need to be designed for first startup in mind. Many are, but some aren't. Relying on default source names that aren't there isn't a good idea for instance.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Lightbulb 
Help is needed to lists the steps a such wizard should go through...

I think that a wizard for the initial installation/configuration the very first time XBMC is loaded on a system would be a more than welcomed feature among all first-time users of XBMC who are trying to install and setup XBMC for the very first time. You the type with a welcome screen (that can be canceled); "Welcome to XBMC! This wizard will help you get XBMC up-and-running fast and easy, click next to continue..."

I would also like XBMC to have
#1. An first time setup wizard initial setup (a 'quick startup' installation wizard):
The initial setup of XBMC can still be considered a little too complicated for your average first-time installer/user. It would be nice if there was an automated 'newbie oriented' step-by-step setup wizard as an option the very first time XBMC is started. Then after that the users only have go into the settings later if they want to fine tune something. Most users do not want to tinker and tweak, they just want it to just work right way the first time after they followed some basic step-by-step wizard, (in a 'next=>next=>next' clicking through it type style).

#2. Specific task wizards:
Step-by-step wizards for repeated tasks. Tasks like for example adding a source (which I think is still just a little technical for the average user who know nothing about networking and such, ...they should not have to read the online-manual but instead get everything they need on the screen for creating something like a new SMB/Samba bookmark source, (even if we would require to add a 'HELP' button which explains the concept of a network share, etc.). Also some settings like screen resolution and screen calibration.

For the #1 first time setup wizard I was thinking a wizard that guides the user though the basic setup settings step-by-step, (similar to installing an operating-system like Windows XP/Vista, or Kickstart for Linux, but obviously specificly suited for XBMC).
* You of course start with the localization settings such as; language (for GUI), location/time-zone, clock, and also keyboard layout.
* Then you move on to the mouse and/or remote-control configuration.
* Then you move on to hardware settings such as X Window System configuration and output-resolution (480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p or other resolution) for the skin and video playback, then the overscan compensation calibration, and audio-output (analog, digital, and DD and/or DTS passthrough).
* Then it is the network settings (which should probably be changed to DHCP by default now instead of using dashboard settings?), explaining that they need to set gateway and DNS if using static IP address, HTTP proxy, firewall configuration, etc. ...the network can also be tested by after this letting the user test and set the weather function.
* Samba authentication (username, password, and workgroup/domain).
* Then finally we have the "Add source" which users will have to do in order to use XBMC so why not guide them though adding a source under each catagory; pictures, video and music.

For #2 I believe that the same type of users would also benefit from a even more of a 'for dummies' (no offense meant) oriented step-by-step guide (next=>next=>next=>etc.) wizard for adding a new source, so when the user click "Add Source" they would get the option to either run a step-by-step wizard or setup that new source 'manually', I think that using a such wizard the most inexperienced user should not be able to fail with the task of adding a new source (even without reading the online manual).

PS! I think we should probably begin by take a look at how Mythbuntu handles the initial setup/confg. audio, video and lirc are covered, (and I am not only referring to XBMC for Linux here but just how a first time step-by-step installer wizard can be). Most of the config in Mythbuntu first setup is MythTV centric and that can be dumped for XBMC centric items.

Remember, user-friendliness is next to godliness! Wink
Smile 
jmarshall Wrote:Users shouldn't have to alter settings - the defaults should be fine for all, and if they're not, we need to tweak them.
Internationalization and localization can not always always be detected (especially not if we are talking about the XBMC Live distro) so that will almost always have too be changed by the user, same is currently with video resolution (and overscan) settings, weather, ...and again I think that a once run through the "Add Source" for each area (Pictures, Videos, Music) to help add their first source to those would also be suited in a first time wizard.
Hmmm yeah for noobs a setup along the lines of Windows Media Center (MCE) a one off run when you first start would be good! Screen type, speakers, folder locations etc....
Thanks all for the input. I'll think about it some more, and try to come out with a concept in some form. In the meantime ofcourse any other ideas or input are welcomed.
About Windows MCE, I was thinking about something along those lines. It's straight forward and pretty intuitive.

Talking about adding media for instance there are two scenarios I was thinking about.

The first:
- User is asked to locate the folders he/she wants to add. When a folder is chosen, the user could be asked to indicate which type of content the folder contains. For example:

This folder contains:
O movies O tvshows O musicvideos O music O other

The O's being checkmarks Wink
The scrapers are set according to these choices. Anything marked as "other" will not be scraped.

The second:
- For each content type a seperate screen is shown, asking the user to locate the folders for that particular content type before advancing to the next step.

Disclaimer: This is just me thinking out loud, and not everything is perfectly thought through Wink
Just another point regarding adding sources.

IMO the scanning function needs splitting in to two:

1. Scan local information only (file tags where appropriate, + nfo xml files + thumbs + fanarts etc.) into the database.

2. Scan the newly added files in the database for online information.

Step 1 ensures that all the user's videos are in the db, and all the information is correct.

Step 2 obtains additional info (if the user wishes to have it), and can be backgrounded completely.

Ideally the user would be able to change all information in the db as well (per-file content type for instance).

Cheers,
Jonathan

I love these ideas !!

To bad im not a coder, but i will gladly help with anything else.

Another thing i think would be nice is the "real" dummy options in wizards. Like not even browsing for sources. Instead just do either a "fast" media search or a "slow" search. the slow option would search all available stations (CBig Grin:F:G:H, whatever it finds) for both video and music related files - when done it will automaticly make libraries without any user intervention. The fast option would only search current user "documents" for media files. (on windows plattforms atleast)

I would also think that task based wizards is an exelent idea !
The-Boxhead Wrote:I love these ideas !!

To bad im not a coder, but i will gladly help with anything else.

Another thing i think would be nice is the "real" dummy options in wizards. Like not even browsing for sources. Instead just do either a "fast" media search or a "slow" search. the slow option would search all available stations (CBig Grin:F:G:H, whatever it finds) for both video and music related files - when done it will automaticly make libraries without any user intervention. The fast option would only search current user "documents" for media files. (on windows plattforms atleast)

I would also think that task based wizards is an exelent idea !

I think that would be very difficult, as xbmc needs to know what type of content is contained within a folder to know which library it should be in. Now seperating music and video may be doable just by looking at the extensions but how would it differentiate a movie from a tv episode?

And just to be clear, aside from webdev and stuff like xbmc skins I'm not a coder either, so any contribution by me will unfortunately be limited to propositions and graphics.
I do understand that the tv shows would not be possible to different from movies. But this mode is for the casual computer user, you know just adding his videos,pictures and music by extensions. My guess is that if a user has alotta tv shows his more in the advanced user section ?
you might be able to different an avi full movie from a tv show by looking at the file size ? however this could also mean that it's just a short clip Wink
Just my opinion, I don't really think auto-searching is a very good idea... how would it handle Samba? UPnP? FTP servers? What if a folders were set up all screwy? A setup wizard sounds GREAT, but somehow I don't think wanting a user what folder they keep their media in is too much to ask...

I had two ideas, that are not as comprehensive as an initial setup wizard, but I think it could make things be more intuitive:

1)currently, there is no way to add anything to the library from the library. You have to go to files view, add a source, then scan it. IMO you should be able to do Library things in Library view. Maybe invoke the context menu and "Add Source" You then add the source like normal, but once you added it, it will immediately take you to the set content screen. If possible whatever part of the library you opened the context menu at should be selected by default. (so if you were in movies library and selected add source, the set content dialog would already be set to "movies" and would have the options to pick your scrapers etc.)

2) when a user makes it to any library mode that doesn't have anything scanned into it yet, it should be similar to the files mode where the only thing you see is "add source", which would act like I explained above.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setup Wizard - First time startup guide / tutorial after the installation of XBMC?2