Linux Filesystem for Storage
So I'm building a machine, parts are in except i have to wait til friday to pick up the processor from microcenter. I'm planning on running xbmcbuntu which to my understanding is lubuntu with xbmc pre-compiled. So I'm assuming it would be easy to install sickbeard/sabnzbd etc. correct me if I'm missing something please! I'll be installing to an ssd that I have lying around using ext4.

What I'm concerned with is that I have 3 HDD's 2TB each that i want look like its one disk for simplicity sake. What is the easiest way to do this? If eventually I want to put new HDD to add to the storage pool what would be the easiest? I'm new to linux but I want to learn.

Also I guess this might be a good place to ask if theres an easy way to watch folders and have them delete files over 30 days old. Find using -mget and a -exec rm but i'm not sure how to make it run all the time or on a schedule and how I could update XBMC and Sickbeard to reflect those files being gone by refreshing/rebuilding libraries.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers.
ZFS would work just fine, but you'll need to do some reading, same with LVM. Software RAID, which is what you're going to do unless you spend some money on a true RAID controller, is about your only option. RAID is not backup, backup is backup. If you're going to run some type of RAID (I'd recommend at least RAID 5, 6 if you can) then I'd make sure you take regular backups of your content and keep the backup offline.
Set your delete script's schedule in Ubuntu using 'crontab -e'.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
OK so LVM sounds fine, can I easily expand it without loosing data? Is there a guide to setting it up easily?

thethirdnut, or anyone else for that matter, would using the find command with date modified etc and then adding it as a cronjob, would that be the best way to schedule deleting a certain show after a certain time (daily show becomes useless to me after about a month as it becomes irrelevant)? Or is there a better way to do it through xbmc?

Thanks and Cheers!
Sort out, test and verify a bash script to find and delete the files you want - and then simply add that script's name to crontab.

cron just runs other applications - you don't any scripting itself in your cron job list.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
ZFS, it's fantastic I tell you, if you dont want to spend days creating raid arrays or lvm

zfs does the same job in seconds..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Filesystem for Storage0