Dedicted keyboard
As said in another thread, I started to work on a little dedicated keyboard for XBMC. The goal is to implement main keys to be able to drive a HTPC running XBMC in a nice way (-> with labels).

I will use a Teensy 2.0 in usb keyboard emulation, and MEC switches.

Here are the keys I plan to implement:

C
F
I
M
R
X
Space
Left
Right
Up
Down
Enter
Backspace
Esc
Tab

The up/down/left/right/enter keys will be something like this. But I don't know how to exactly arrange the keys... That's why I created this thread. If you have ideas, feel free to post your ideas.

I would also like to add some shortcuts, like eject, play CD, play DVD, open music/video libraries... But I don't know if all this is possible. Again, all ideas are welcome.

Thanks.
Frédéric
Always cool to see new ideas (inventions) being created.
While I can't visually understand what this will look like,..I'd like to see the eventual outcome.

Good luck!
im not sure i understand too...

you want to create a typical tiny keyboard or a remote?
The idea is to create a tiny keyboard, as you can find on DVD/CD players... Just a few buttons/key to control XBMC wihtout either a remote or a real keyboard.

As I also pan to add a LCD display (my HTPC box as a hole for that), I would love to be able to control XBMC with the screen off (to listen to music, radio, CD...)
Frédéric
Back to this project...

What are the minimum keys needed to drive all features of XBC? Are these enough:

UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, ENTER, ESC

What other keys may I implement, to improve a little bit the usage? Like:

BACK, TAB, SPACE, X

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.
Frédéric
C for context menu and I for information.
In which category? Mandatory (with UP, DOWN...), or Comfort (with TAB, SPACE...)?
Frédéric
I think it depends on the user and the system.
On the AppleTV holding down enter will bring up the context menu but not on Windows or OSX.
I would say C mandatory and I comfort.
Ok.
Frédéric
I'm wondering something...

Instead of beeing stucked with pre-defined keyboard shortcuts, don't you think it would be better to add my own ones, using unused key binding (like SHIFT+CTRL+Fxx, for example)?

Then, I could bind these keys to any internal function of XBMC (for example, an eject button would be nice).

So, what mandatory functions would you implement to this keyboard? Some keys may, like for normal keyboard, re-assigned when switching from MUSC, VIDEO... but some may remain binded to the same function in all panels.
Frédéric

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dedicted keyboard0