Best Windows PVR Backend/Addon Combination for Windows
I'm really excited that XBMC now has the PVR functionality and I am eager to get it setup and running. I understand that there are a number of backends now supported for Windows. I am just not sure which one is the best. I understand that the backend itself has its own functionality etc... and then there is development for each of the XBMC addons. Which combination offers the best performance? DVBLink, Media Portal, or For the Record?

Also, right now I live in the US and I plan on bringing in channels either OTA or through a cable box.

Thanks
I actually just found a great post regarding this I apologize, I tried to delete but it wouldn't allow me. Thanks.
(2012-10-08, 20:22)tasemach Wrote: I actually just found a great post regarding this I apologize, I tried to delete but it wouldn't allow me. Thanks.

Can you share the link for us other lazy people please Wink
i have tested 2 backends. mediaportal and dvbviewer recording service. dvbviewer is much better. channel switching ist 2-3 times faster than mediaportal.
I'd be interested in the post you mention as well. Quite interested to see if I should move from MediaPortal as the back end for speed or picture quality differences.
I am also looking for an answer to this. Especially if some do timeshifting, rewind, pause, fast forward well.
Nextpvr is also excellent
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I am not really binded on Windows for OS and I noticed that TVHeadend back and front end seems to be veryyy popular. Is there a comparative table with all front / back end to help us choose?

I mean, if TVheadend is really that better compared to ForTheRecord or mediaportal or any others, i'll just install XBMCBuntu or ArchLinux / XBMC instead of windows. The OS on an HTPC is not really important since you're in XBMC all the time "usually".

Anyways, still have a week maybe too, before my build is completed so I'd like to hear more thoughts. Smile
I personnaly tried mediaportal one hour and I wanted to shoot myself. Also, one important detail. I'm with an HDHR3 Smile
mediaportal, ive had running with xbmc for over 12 months id say, mostly when my crappy flat screen tellys die... grrr

but for the most part, its been reliable.

channel change takes approx 2-4 seconds, but then my lg smart telly takes just as long.

the fact that my raspberry pi can use mp as well, is i bit of a bonus. just needs little tweaking for aspect ratio with using good old crt as display device.

if your thinking about trying mp, id say give it a shot. didnt take me long to setup first time around, and steps are fairly self explanatory. furthermore, with the current xbmc mp plug in, integrating pvr is a piece of cake compaired to the "early days".

my 2c worth...

Dam0
I suggest trying the dvbviewer recording service. Dvbviewer is a commercial program but the 15€ I gave are tottaly worthy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Windows PVR Backend/Addon Combination for Windows0