From WDTV to HTPC
Hi all,

I was annoyed by last WDTV Live Streaming firmware upgrade which made my collection of .m2t family videos unusable (stuttering),
so I started to look something different and I met xbmc. Very interesting!

I used WDTV Live Streaming to:

- look to my HDV family videos which I want to keep in .m2t format

- look to family pictures

- listen to my music in stereo (not mch) from .mp3 or .flac formatted files
(optical link to a DAC)

Everything is stored in a MyBook 1TB HDD connected to USB and in a 1TB My Book Word Edition NAS connected to router.

I'm looking for the right hardware to use with XBMCubuntu (or maybe OpenELEC) doing the same job WDTV did up to some time ago.

So, my main needs are smooth video playing, and absolutely silent operation.
I don't need a HTPC hardware to be extremely small, there's plenty of room behind 37" Sharp LCD TV (once there was a 32" wide CRT...)
I don't need it to be cheap (right cost for right performances...)
I don't even need a wifi since there's a network cable to the router.

I'd like to have something stable and hassle free, with a quick boot and a remote control.
Performances should be adequate to smooth play and SSD should only contain O.S.

A friend of mine would help to assemble the hardware.

I read around that Intel i3 Sandy Bridge is a good processor so I noted DH67GD motherboard (which is also OpenELEC tested).
Would it be compliant to what I'm looking for?

Any other advice?

Cheers.
You are in a similar situation than i was...I ended up going xmbcbuntu over openelec because openelec was very limiting concerning modifying system files and getting "other" things to work (live streaming video, roms, etc...it's technically possible, but you may have to either re-compile, or do a crap-load of modifications, which, if you're like me, you are only decently versed in writing configuration files and more advanced stuff might be tricky)

here's what i got and it works great
the only caveat i have is that the heatsink fan has a slight buzz, where if it's in a compartment of a entertainment centre, you probably won't hear it...i just hear it because it's on the floor to the side of it

MOBO: ASUS F1A55-M/CSM ($85)
CPU: AMD A6-3500 ($70)
HARD DRIVE: Kingston SSDNOW S50 ($63)
RAM: Kingston VALUERam 4 gig ($19)
CASE: APEX DM-318 ($45)
Extra fan: Vantec Stealth SF8025L (just in case the HTPC stays on for long periods of time...the fan is ultra silent)
Remote: I currently use the Rii-Mini..2.4 but I can barely recommend it; when it works, it works extremely well...but it is a little finnicky and you have to press buttons a few times sometimes...you have to be at the right angle, etc
most remotes will work well, but since you are staying on xbmcbuntu, i'd have to recommend one that acts as a keyboard as well for the simple reason that it makes life a whole lot easier..maybe you can get a standard remote (cheap MCE remotes work fine..just need to configure the buttons from what i read) after everything is set up

The reason I mention this build is that although you said you price is not a factor, it's nice to have a little bit of wiggle room to add the things you'd like more that are "extra" (like the remotes, you can go a bit further

the build costs around ~$300 max but you get everything built in, plus you said you're coming from WDTV and optical audio...which is exactly what I had too..and this motherboard will get you the surround sound from optical out directly from the motherboard, plus hdmi out...and the processor is really good...some people have gone to A8, but I, like most here, feel it's a bit of overkill...
The case is easy to work with compared to other cases...if size is not a factor, this is a good option
some people go ITX...but that's mostly because they have smaller components..if the 15 inches of depth is fine for you, then microATX is a good option because the components are just as good and slightly cheaper

I have a networked hard drive with all my media (videos, music, pictures) and have used usb devices (even used a USB to install xbmcbuntu in a snap) and the system boots up in about 20-30 seconds

hope this helps!
(2012-10-09, 18:15)truthlesshero Wrote: CPU: AMD A6-3500 ($70)
For the same price, would as well go for the latest FM2 socket- AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W.....

(2012-10-09, 18:15)truthlesshero Wrote: Extra fan: Vantec Stealth SF8025L (just in case the HTPC stays on for long periods of time...the fan is ultra silent)
If you want a silent 80mm case fan, I'm suggesting this 12dBA noise level case fan instead- SilenX EFX-08-12 80mm Case Fan.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-10-09, 18:54)bluray Wrote:
(2012-10-09, 18:15)truthlesshero Wrote: CPU: AMD A6-3500 ($70)
For the same price, would as well go for the latest FM2 socket- AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W.....

(2012-10-09, 18:15)truthlesshero Wrote: Extra fan: Vantec Stealth SF8025L (just in case the HTPC stays on for long periods of time...the fan is ultra silent)
If you want a silent 80mm case fan, I'm suggesting this 12dBA noise level case fan instead- SilenX EFX-08-12 80mm Case Fan.....

agreed about the cpu...i just didn't do any reasearch beforehand, but the specs would be incredibly similar...i just put amazon on there because i am a prime member and i found newegg's customer service to be less than great...plus i had two rma's when building my htpc from newegg and neither went well... but it still one of the best places to get computer stuff..FM2 is the newer technology though

as far the fan, i understand the recommendation, but i'm only speaking from personal experience and the vantech stealth is whisper quiet
Thanks for suggestions!

@truthlesshero: I was considering Openelec because of "tested" hardware list, but as you say, it could be hard to manage if something is going wrong.

What I'm starting to think is that, being XBMCubuntu based on Ubuntu, there should be no big problem using most hardware with names as Intel or Asus or AMD. 20-30" boot time is ok.

Do you know if a total fanless (cpu+case) built is possible?

(2012-10-09, 23:01)Nick62 Wrote: Thanks for suggestions!

@truthlesshero: I was considering Openelec because of "tested" hardware list, but as you say, it could be hard to manage if something is going wrong.

What I'm starting to think is that, being XBMCubuntu based on Ubuntu, there should be no big problem using most hardware with names as Intel or Asus or AMD. 20-30" boot time is ok.

Do you know if a total fanless (cpu+case) built is possible?

it is possible...it may be expensive, but it is possible

after really looking over what bluray said, i have to agree to pay the extra $10 and get the A6-5400K and upgrade the motherboard to the Asus that replaced it (F2A55-M/CSM...also $5 more)...i'm thinking of doing it myself, haha

but back to your question...basically, it depends
if you're looking for a normal sized htpc build, i.e. small, then it might be possible, but choices are quite slim and expensive..i only know of one or two microatx fanless PSU's...

now for the case and CPU, it can definitely be done...there are a few CPU and case options that are fanless
NOFAN is one of the leaders in developing technology..well...without fans
they are not as reviewed as the "quiet" options as scythe or glacialtech...but they come highly recommended by the people who do use them
you can pay as much as $150 for a NOFAN heatsink...so you can just imagine how much everything is all put together
here are some good sites:

http://www.fanlesstech.com/
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

I have my htpc about 8 feet away from me and the only real noise that bothers me is the heatsink and i only hear it if i concentrate on it while a movie is playing...that being said, it's the only thing i'll replace if i don't replace the motherboard/cpu altogether for the ones i just mentioned...good luck and let us know what you end up with!
If you want to go fanless, these "Fanless Chassis" cases might be your cheapest choice.......and FanlessTech AMD celebrates Trinity seem to use streacom fanless case too....

You can buy the fanless case from here- Perfect Home Theater.......
About the remote, the HTPC will go into the space behind the LCDTV and it will be unreachable.

So I'll need a remote that can turn it on and off.

Reading around it seems that only Asrock MBs can handle IR on/off.

So choice is really limited to them?
(2012-10-10, 16:49)Nick62 Wrote: About the remote, the HTPC will go into the space behind the LCDTV and it will be unreachable.

Why not just let it go to sleep? My HTPC uses ~4 watts while in S3 sleep and it wakes in just a few seconds. Then you can use about any MB you want.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
(2012-10-10, 16:49)Nick62 Wrote: About the remote, the HTPC will go into the space behind the LCDTV and it will be unreachable.

well, if it's unreachable, then you won't be able to do it regardless...as you mentioned, for an htpc to be completely off to on with a remote, you need an IR slot..
meaning, it has to see the IR receiver...

but if you're planning to set it up where your remote can see the IR receiver, then you can do it without asrock mobo's now...thanks to beer40oz
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132960

hope that helps

edit: scratch that, i see he is using an asrock motherboard..it's really not clear if you can do it without an asrock motherboard..some people are hinting you can, but no one can confirm..i'm actually going to ask in that thread to find out myself, hehe
(2012-10-10, 18:58)truthlesshero Wrote: well, if it's unreachable, then you won't be able to do it regardless...as you mentioned, for an htpc to be completely off to on with a remote, you need an IR slot..
meaning, it has to see the IR receiver...
It shouldn't be a problem. There are USB IR's these days, and it can be placed upfront.....OEM HP MCE KIT REMOTE CONTROL/USB IR RECEIVER/EMITTER

If you are using USB IR dongle, you can extend it with this- AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (9.8 Feet/3.0 Meters) ......

@wsume99: Yes, I could go for "sleep" instead of "turn-off" provided it can be awaken! Smile

@truthlesshero: "unreachable" for my hands, not for an IR remote.

Obviously I'd need an IR dongle + cable; consider that WDTV, which is playing hide-and-seek between the base and the lower part of the frame of LCDTV, needs to be carefully aimed at, if you want it to respond to IR remote commands.

@all: thanks for all these infos!
Mmmh, reading around I'm starting to think that's too complicated.

I'm afraid I'm going to lose myself trying to setup everythyng with a high probability of something not working properly...

What about a pre-built system? Lots of them around, most of them are fanless (which is ok for me) but many of them have no optical spdif.

Any suggestion?

p.s. in the meanwhile I discovered that my son's PS3 can play .m2t video files, I didn't even consider to connect it to NAS.
So now I use WDTV only for music... but sometimes there are small silent pauses even playing music and I'm starting to hate it...
(2012-10-10, 00:06)bluray Wrote: If you want to go fanless, these "Fanless Chassis" cases might be your cheapest choice.......and FanlessTech AMD celebrates Trinity seem to use streacom fanless case too....

You can buy the fanless case from here- Perfect Home Theater.......

I run fanless and love it. Lots of people use the word "silent" when talking about their machines. Personally, there's a big difference between "really really quiet" and "silent" - and the only way to "silent" is to have no moving parts.
The best solution in the past has been the ION chipset, specifically the Shuttle XS35. Those devices are getting pretty dated though. If I really wanted a fanless appliance today, I would look at the new ARM based Android devices like the Pivos Xios DS. If they fit your needs, they're a steal at around $100.
Yes, I noted it, nice but it has no optical audio out...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
From WDTV to HTPC0