UPS for Win7 Server and unRAID
I have a Windows 7 server that hosts MySQL and handles all of my downloading. I also have a an unRAID server that hosts my media. I had a power outage yesterday and I realized I've been playing with fire by not having any battery backup solution. Luckily everything was fine.

So, does anybody know if there is a way for one UPS to shutdown both computers at the same time?

Thanks guys.
TV: VIZIO E-Series 43”
HTPC: Raspberry Pi 3
STORAGE: Windows 8 Server with DrivePool (Currently with 24TB)
Great question. I don't have an answer, but looking forward to hearing back...

If you don't get an answer in this forum, post in the Lime Technology (Unraid) forum...

They should be able to help
I know you can make it shut down the unraid box. Unraid has an APC UPS package that you can add in unmenu that allows the UPS to communucate with the server (via USB) and shut it down before the battery is depteted. I believe that APC offers some software that you can install on a windows machine to do the same thing. What I don't know is how you get the UPS to communicate with two PCs at the same time.

A question I have for you is why don't you have all those things running on your unraid box? I don't do it myself but I see lots of people on the unraid forums running all the things you mention on a single unraid server.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I have a seperate PC running my sab and stuff.... I am now looking into getting all that to run in my unraid rig that way I don't have another PC running 24/7....

Beer40oz,

Not sure if you do anything behind a VPN, but I stick with my apps running on my HTPC because then I can force them only to run when the VPN is connected. They disconnect if they don't see the VPN.

Can't do that when they run on the server -- at least not that I've ever seen...
(2012-10-11, 22:19)newoski Wrote: Beer40oz,

Not sure if you do anything behind a VPN, but I stick with my apps running on my HTPC because then I can force them only to run when the VPN is connected. They disconnect if they don't see the VPN.

Can't do that when they run on the server -- at least not that I've ever seen...

I don't use VPN.... once in a while the only program I use is TeamViewer to access my desktop PC to check on things.
I was thinking also of running my apps on my HTPC and leave that on but I rather not in case there will be a bottleneck while watching a vid and it's doing something else in the background.

I rather have the HTPC be dedicated just for that.

Well I don't know what the best route I should go with... still looking into it.

mprassel

BTW! this is a good UPS for unraid... works great with the unraid plug-in
http://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Watts...B002RCNX8K
Thanks for the responses so far. I have considered putting the apps on my unRAID box but that will probably wait until my second machine. I would want a cache drive, more RAM and a bigger case. I also like having a Windows 7 server for other reasons. It gives me a lot of flexibility for other uses. I use it to stream Spotify around the house and also as a desktop from time to time.

I found these links but not sure what to do:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-use-on...computers/
http://forums.isxusergroups.com/thread.j...eadID=2152

Thanks for the recommendation Beer!

I use an APC Back-UPS ES 550.

UnRAID has an addon for it so you can customize the amount of time you want the computer to spend on battery power before doing a clean shutdown.
I'm familiar with this plugin: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=15583.0

Does anybody know if I can have it also tell my Win7 machine to shutdown via ethernet?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPS for Win7 Server and unRAID0