Win Move library from local to nas + mysql database
Hi guys!

I have had my XBMC running from 3 locally attached external HD's for a while. Time has come to move this to a (Ready)Nas server.

I have 3 pc's attached to the machine all sharing the same database.

Now I am not planning to move the mysql server and database yet, only the stored files.

How should I go about this so that my watched status are not forgotten. I have thought to do it this way but am not sure if it would work.

1. Export DB to single file
2. Move the files from local storage to Nas
3. Remove the librarys from XBMX
4. Add the new libraries (containing the same files)
5. Import database.

Now would it need to have the exact same folder structure as before? Becasue I used to have one drive for tv shows and one for movies. I can't get the same structure back..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards tormi
Don't export to single file. Instead export in one file for every movie. Xbmc will create nfo files for all movies. Copy your movies to the nas and import again. That's it.

Smile
But will this remeber the watched status? And will I have to import the database to all my xbmc machines or only point to the new library?

What really happens to the existing mysql database?
I would say you have two options, the official way is what haf-blade explained, export all info to nfo-files. That should keep all your info about a movie/series in nfo-files, watched status also. So when you create your new central mysql database and do your first library update it will collect all the info from the files.

Or if you are like me and don't want all the extra files you could try this addon.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129448
Then you need to export the watched status from one of your local db's (or from all of them) and then import it once you setup your new database.
If you find any spelling mistakes you can keep them ;)

(2012-10-16, 12:20)Fox Wrote: Or if you are like me and don't want all the extra files you could try this addon.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129448
Then you need to export the watched status from one of your local db's (or from all of them) and then import it once you setup your new database.

I'll try this, but I would sure wish there was an explanation somewhere. For instance will it import it back to the original database??
If you weren't using MySQL, but were still changing paths, then you would want to delete/clear out the original library/database. In this case it won't matter much, since by using MySQL you basically are starting with a blank library/database. If you import to an existing library then it will simply make doubles of everything.
I just did reimport everything. And it seems to work nicely. So for other noobs like me this is what i did.

1. Export library to separate files
2. Export database through the addon
3. Remove videolibrary locally + clean database
4. Add new paths and reimport the videolibraries
5. Import the database through the addon.
@ned i read in another thread that UPNP option is going to be more robust. Do you know how it will be different from MYSQL approach?
Intel® Quad Core i5 Sandybridge @3.40GHz | ASRock Z775 Mobo 8GB DDR3 Ram | Logitech K400 Keyboard |
| Logitec Harmony 550 Remote| 46' Samsung LCD TV | Onkyo TX-S605 w/ Bose 5.1 Surround
(2012-10-16, 22:37)hunkyn Wrote: @ned i read in another thread that UPNP option is going to be more robust. Do you know how it will be different from MYSQL approach?

The big differences are:

• a UPnP library doesn't show up like a local library (so they won't work with smart playlists, will be under "Files" in the GUI, etc)
• I don't think resume status is shared yet
• watched ticks only show up when you've watched a video on the server, and clients can't yet update that watched tick.

Other than that, UPnP (even in v11) is a great option. You don't even have to use network shares on the server, since UPnP is itself a network share. You can even do it for multiple servers. For example, say you have several people living in the same house (crazy, I know), each person could have their own library and share it. So you could see "Tom's library" next to "Bob's library" etc.
(2012-10-17, 07:39)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-10-16, 22:37)hunkyn Wrote: @ned i read in another thread that UPNP option is going to be more robust. Do you know how it will be different from MYSQL approach?

The big differences are:

• a UPnP library doesn't show up like a local library (so they won't work with smart playlists, will be under "Files" in the GUI, etc)
• I don't think resume status is shared yet
• watched ticks only show up when you've watched a video on the server, and clients can't yet update that watched tick.

Other than that, UPnP (even in v11) is a great option. You don't even have to use network shares on the server, since UPnP is itself a network share. You can even do it for multiple servers. For example, say you have several people living in the same house (crazy, I know), each person could have their own library and share it. So you could see "Tom's library" next to "Bob's library" etc.

Thanks Ned for the explanation. I will stay with MYSQL setup as it works flawlessly for me. Once the UPNP option is live in frodo then i will check back and see if it is any better. I used UPNP option with my android tablet and that seems to be working but as you mentioned it is under "Files".
Intel® Quad Core i5 Sandybridge @3.40GHz | ASRock Z775 Mobo 8GB DDR3 Ram | Logitech K400 Keyboard |
| Logitec Harmony 550 Remote| 46' Samsung LCD TV | Onkyo TX-S605 w/ Bose 5.1 Surround

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Move library from local to nas + mysql database0