[Mac mini] No HDMI audio if I resume XBMC from sleep before turning on TV
Hi,

I'm currently running XBMC Frodo Alpha 6 (Sept cycle) on a Mac Mini 2011, OSX Lion 10.7.5.

Previously on Eden, using the same Mac Mini, HDMI audio worked just fine regardless of which device I turned on first (TV or Mac Mini).

However, ever since I switched to the Frodo snapshots, I've had this issue where if I woke up the Mac Mini from XBMC sleep before I turn on my TV, audio will redirect to the Mac Mini speakers instead. After that the only way I seem to be able to restore HDMI audio output is to quit XBMC and load it up again.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is this expected?

Thanks!
I dont't know if it is expected behaviour or not because handshaking issues depend on your individual pieces of equipment. Did you also update the OS during this phase. I noticed a change in these issues when 10.7.3 came out ? Do you still get the previous behaviour on Eden ?

Another place to confirm settings is in the Midi setup. I have setup my macmini, display and XBMC to never sleep. This seems to run things smoothly. Previously when the display was set to auto sleep, I would experience the issue that you have mentioned. I figure since it is the display that is mostly power hungry, these settings should have a minimal effect since the tv is turned off when not in use anyway.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I did, however the issue predated the OS update. I was previously on 10.7.1 and the issue only occurred on the Frodo snapshots. I updated to 10.7.5 on the off chance that it might help resolve some issues (including this one). In the end it really only created a new problem. Hardware decoding started to artifact as of 10.7.5 (green borders around the video). But that's beside the point.

I'll double check again on Eden and see if I can repro again and check the settings as you do.

In your case where you set your macmini, display and XBMC to never sleep, does that mean you leave your macmini running XBMC at all times? Do you never suspend it when you're done watching? Or is this just the auto-sleep settings that you're referring to?

Thanks for chiming in.
On the contrary, I only have it running when it is being used. I predominantly use 3 apps as part of the htpc - XBMC, eyetv and iTunes. At the moment I switch between them using remote buddy but the type of remote doesn't matter.
I have ensured that the audio settings are set to hdmi in not only these apps but also within system sound preferences and Audio Midi Settings. The sys and xbmc settings are below. I need to modify my sig because I have actually gone back to running eden rc1 because I find that the most compatible. The nightlies didn't impact this side of the story though, more some video playback compatibilities and general stability. Switching between these 3 apps as well the order of turning on hardware devices currently rarely presents any issues. Restoring from display sleep, whether executed within XBMC or system preferences was causing handshaking issues.

Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks for posting those settings. I tried out all of those settings together and also independently and while it partially fixed the problem, it didn't resolve it completely.

Here are my notes:

1. None of the MacMini system preferences nor Audio MIDI settings helped.
2. Setting the System > Audio Output > Audio Output to HDMI helped partially. It used to be on Analog.

By partially I mean that if I turn off the TV and turn it back on while leaving the MacMini and XBMC running, it would revert back to the built-in output. With the Audio Output set to HDMI, turning off the TV and back on would keep the audio output coming through my TV. So that was good.

However, if I suspended XBMC, turned off the TV, then resumed my MacMini & XBMC followed by turning on my TV, there was no longer any audio output whereas before it would default to the Built-in output.

3. If the audio output isn't working, going into the System > Audio Output > Audio Output Device and toggling that off of HDMI and then back to it, resets the audio device and has it working again without needing to relaunch XBMC.

It's possible it's something to do with my hardware setup, however running OSX the sound always comes through the TV regardless of the order in which I turn on the devices. Either way, this isn't a huge deal, but if anyone else has any suggestions I'm open to trying them.

Thanks activate.
HDMI has proven to be more than a bit frustrating until you can get it to work.

In situations when the sound is not output through hdmi as expected, what would work for me would be to i) change source on the amp to something else and back again or ii) start playing an xbmc stream. I imagine you have mucked around enough to atleast try the second option.

If nothing else come through, perhaps you can automate resetting the audio output device through applescript and assign it to the remote. I am in the process of trying something different:

I want to assign XBMC and eyetv to different desktops. Whereas in the past I would quit xbmc, I will try this time to suspend it and switch desktops and see how it works. I am not sure what technically suspension does as far hdmi and optical outputs are concerned ie, does it free them for other apps and why it behaves like you are experiencing when you try to reconnect. Perhaps have a look at the log when this occurs and see if gives any clues.

(2012-10-23, 02:45)Keilun Wrote: Thanks for posting those settings. I tried out all of those settings together and also independently and while it partially fixed the problem, it didn't resolve it completely.

Here are my notes:

2. Setting the System > Audio Output > Audio Output to HDMI helped partially. It used to be on Analog.

By partially I mean that if I turn off the TV and turn it back on while leaving the MacMini and XBMC running, it would revert back to the built-in output. With the Audio Output set to HDMI, turning off the TV and back on would keep the audio output coming through my TV. So that was good.

However, if I suspended XBMC, turned off the TV, then resumed my MacMini & XBMC followed by turning on my TV, there was no longer any audio output whereas before it would default to the Built-in output.

3. If the audio output isn't working, going into the System > Audio Output > Audio Output Device and toggling that off of HDMI and then back to it, resets the audio device and has it working again without needing to relaunch XBMC.

It's possible it's something to do with my hardware setup, however running OSX the sound always comes through the TV regardless of the order in which I turn on the devices. Either way, this isn't a huge deal, but if anyone else has any suggestions I'm open to trying them.

Thanks activate.

I'm having the same Lost Audio problem with my mac-mini & HDMI Sony TV... Restarting XBMC solves the issue untill the next day.. (probably happening when my tv is off for a few hours) ......

Have you found a solution?

I am having this same problem with the current Frodo stable release. With prior versions of XBMC, the audio output I chose in XBMC remained consistent regardless of whether or not it lost the signal because of my A/V receiver was shut off. As it is, even though my settings appear to be the same in Settings>System>Audio Output, I have to switch "Audio output device" away from and then back to HDMI for audio to work on HDMI again (either that or restart XBMC). With Eden and prior releases, I never had this issue. Also, it is notable that it doesn't matter what my Mac's output source is set to in Audio MIDI Setup; switching it in that program doesn't fix the problem.
This should be fixed in current nightly builds. Fix was just not ready when frodo was released.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-02-02, 20:48)Memphiz Wrote: This should be fixed in current nightly builds. Fix was just not ready when frodo was released.

The most recent nightly build is working for me. I should have known to try that before even posting; oh well Confused Thanks
(2012-10-23, 02:45)Keilun Wrote: Thanks for posting those settings. I tried out all of those settings together and also independently and while it partially fixed the problem, it didn't resolve it completely.

Here are my notes:

Thanks activate.

My problem is the exact same - mac mini (mid 2011) w/ XBMC 12.2, 10.8.4, Samsung TV, Sonos PlayBar. The mini is connected to the TV through HDMI, which is then connected to the PlayBar through optical cable. I use a Harmony Ultimate remote.
Every time I start my XBMC activity sound would be gone - I can get it back by toggling Audio configuration or Speaker setup. So far nothing I do has resolved the osund issue...

Memphiz Wrote:This should be fixed in current nightly builds. Fix was just not ready when frodo was released.

Would this be xbmc-20130913-25bf01a-master-i386.dmg? Or Gotham-alpha7? Sorry if this seems dense, I'm not used to using nightly builds on any software... How stable are these builds?
Alpha is more stable then nightlies (e.x. 20130913) but you should expect breakage. I don't have a personal feeling of current stability of master - but i think it should be fine to be used as far as i have followed latest code changes...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I have similar problem with mac mini (2012) although I have Philips monitor. Changed several SW of XBMC but it didn't help. The only solution for now is to reboot.
(2013-09-15, 19:40)Memphiz Wrote: Alpha is more stable then nightlies (e.x. 20130913) but you should expect breakage. I don't have a personal feeling of current stability of master - but i think it should be fine to be used as far as i have followed latest code changes...

OK, I installed the latest nightly on my mac mini, and while it hasn't crashed, it did not solve my audio issues one iota: still no sound after waking form sleep. What's more, I now have several TV Shows that will have stuttering video and no audio, no matter what I do, even if audio is working (i.e. I can hear the system sounds). Not even a reboot will solve this...
check your audio settigns (speaker config set to 2.0) and set output device to "default". If you don't find this settings ensure to use confluence skine and enable the advanced settings level in the left slide out menu for making all settings visible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mac mini] No HDMI audio if I resume XBMC from sleep before turning on TV0