Whats the best nas/download station/media server?
(2012-10-24, 23:00)smitopher Wrote:
(2012-10-24, 22:37)RaggSokk3n Wrote:
(2012-10-24, 20:01)smitopher Wrote: I'm running Windows Server 2012 Essentials on a HP ProLiant ML110 G7 server I bought from newegg. It has a Intel Core i3 2120 3.3GHz, 10 GB of ram and 10 TB of storage (boots from a 256 gb drive, 2 3TB Seagates and 1 4TB Hatachi). I have been pleased with it.

Your proposed HW looks reasonable as far as the CPU, RAM and Disks go. I'd consider a small boot drive and dedicate all 8 drives to a storage space. WS2012 storage spaces are easy to set up and very flexible but you can not boot from them.

Ok som separate boot drive, ssd or hdd? will a 320gb Wd black 2,5 do the trick?
Yup. Microsquash recommends the minimum is 60 GB and all shared storage should not be on the boot/OS drive. A 120 GB SSD is plenty big and makes the software portion of the boot fast... but... My server POST takes 5 times longer than the OS boot. I leave my server running 24/7 so not really too big an issue. I really do not miss having a SSD boot drive. My boot drive was part of the newegg "bundle" and I actually have it partitioned into 2 boot drives. One with Windows Home Server 2011 (60 GB) and the second partition for the rest booting Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

Ok, so how fast is ws2012? Will it handle stable 20mBs with smb?
Yup. I get 90-100MBs on wired gigabit network on same segment when copying things like a Blu Ray ISO from a Win7 machine. No other traffic at the time of course.

I have not tried NFS since SMB is so easy on windoze.
So I should use stripping on the storage? And should i use mirroring on system?
Is this primarily to serve video? If so striping the data etc. is overkill and will require that all drives spin for data access....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Read up on the new storage spaces of WS2012.

The choices of mirroring, parity and striping are handled a bit differently than you may be used to.
From what I've read today all the functions I need are found in windows 8 as well as windows server 2012. So i see no point of going for the server edition due to the price tag of 700$ vs 40$, am I missing anything? (the storage spaces, smb and torrent functionality)
(2012-10-27, 02:48)smitopher Wrote: Read up on the new storage spaces of WS2012.

The choices of mirroring, parity and striping are handled a bit differently than you may be used to.

I haven't been able to find much material on it, where did you find this information?
(2012-10-27, 13:26)RaggSokk3n Wrote: From what I've read today all the functions I need are found in windows 8 as well as windows server 2012. So i see no point of going for the server edition due to the price tag of 700$ vs 40$, am I missing anything? (the storage spaces, smb and torrent functionality)
For SMB and torrents, you are not missing anything. It looks like storage spaces are available in Win 8
the new Resilient File System (the closest thing to ZFS in windows) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...31724.aspx is only available in Windows Server

Windows Server also has automatic backup for clients, automatic server backup to a cloud account, support for iscsi target and...

REMOTE ACCESS. FREE and EASY.

Your home network, behind a NAT firewall, is available to you via a Web UI AND VPN.

Everything here is also available with Linux but you have MUCH more work to do.

As for the $700, Have you checked out a MS Technet Subscription? $200 gets you any version of Windows and Windows Server (and quite a few other geeky products) that you care to "evaluate" with actual 100% real licence codes.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subsc...42910.aspx

Do you need WS2012? No. Does it have value? Yes.
(2012-10-27, 15:05)RaggSokk3n Wrote:
(2012-10-27, 02:48)smitopher Wrote: Read up on the new storage spaces of WS2012.

I haven't been able to find much material on it, where did you find this information?

Overview http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...31739.aspx
FAQ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki...s-faq.aspx

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whats the best nas/download station/media server?0