HTPC Build Advice (in Silverstone GD05B)
After much browsing of this board and agonizing over components I'm putting together a wishlist for a new HTPC. Some components I have decided on but others I'm not 100% sure about. It will be my main living room HTPC and I want to be able to run the SAB suite, XBMC and probably some DVD ripping/transcoding. To do this I think I will run some variety of Linux with XBMC. Hookup will be HDMI out to AVR, then HDMI from there to TV. I will use a Harmony remote to control it.

Case: Silverstone GD05B-3.0 ($95) I like the look and it is the right size for my location.

CPU: I want to use linux to avoid the extra $100 or whatever for a Win7 license so I've mostly decided on the i3-3225 ($145). Am I right in thinking I should be able to watch anything on this using the iGPU and also not have any need to replace the stock cooler (noise)?

MB: Needs HDMI out, ability for IR reciever. mATX or mITX but probably mATX for cost savings. There's a ton of choices in $60-$75 range. ASRock B75M-Pro3-M ($70) looks good to me. Any reason it won't work or something that might be a better value?

RAM: Kingston HyperX seems well liked. 1600MHz assuming that mobo, 2x2GB or maybe 2x4GB if the price isn't that much extra. HyperX 8gb - ($40)

PSU: Seasonic S12II 430W ($60) Seems well liked, compact, quiet.

SSD: 60 or 64GB, not much more than 32GB so might as well right? Crucial M4, Samsung 830 or Intel (~$70), is one of them better than the others for my application?

Optical: Because of where it's located (up high) I think I will go with an external connected via USB. Reccomendations?

IR: Reccomendations? Needs to work with Linux, XBMC, Harmony remote, and the mobo.

Storage: I will probably put one or two 3TB WD Greens in for local storage until I can do an unraid server.

I have an old wireless keyboard and mouse for setup/config stuff. Is there anything else I'm missing?

(2012-10-17, 05:42)fvtalon Wrote: CPU: I want to use linux to avoid the extra $100 or whatever for a Win7 license so I've mostly decided on the i3-3225 ($145). Am I right in thinking I should be able to watch anything on this using the iGPU and also not have any need to replace the stock cooler (noise)?
If you strictly build it for media file playback using Linux, the very low power and low heat Intel Core i3-3220T should do the job. If you want to go Windows 7 route for multiple purpose, AMD A6-5400K + Widnows 7 still cheaper than i3-3225 with Linux.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for the windows link, I hadn't realized it was available for $68. That's a fair bit better than $100+. Still though considering the volume I think they could take a page from apple and sell the OS for about $30. I bet it would cut down on the number of pirated copies in use.

In that case I could switch to:

CPU: A6-5400k ($70)
Mobo: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M ($75)

A few bucks cheaper but Win7 is easier to setup than Linux... Hmm...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Build Advice (in Silverstone GD05B)0