First HTPC, need advice please
Hi All,
I just ordered parts for my first HTPC and I just realized that PSU may not be enough, so any advice would be appreciated. Here is my build:

– Aywun mini-ITX case & PSU MI-100, comes with 200 PSU (Very similar to Apex if not the same)
- Intel Celeron G540 (MAX 65W)
- ASRock H61M-itx
- MSI GeForce GT 430 1GB (MAX 50W)
- 4GB Single stick Ram (5W)
- 64GB Samsung 830 SSD (5W)
- Windows 7

This system will be used for :
1. Playing 1080P Videos
2. XBMC
3. MPC-HC + LAV + madVR for play back
4. I will use SmoothVideo Project (SVP) to get frame interpolation for play back.

Using online PSU calculators, it seems the system will draw max 175W but not sure if these calcs are accurate.

Thanks in advance.
You'll be fine, i've seen systems like that one running on 120/150w psus
That's this case, correct? http://www.aywun.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=52

The only problem you might run into with this case is the top of the Intel stock heatsink might bump up again the button of the powersupply and the fans will compete a bit. Keep an eye on the temps and if you find that happening, just get a lower profile aftermarket heatsink.

Your real draw will be half that. The 65W is the TDP of the G540, not its power usage which is much, much less (from my own testing).

With madVR and SVP you'll be pushing the hardware a bit more but certainly not max'ing it out.
Quote:You'll be fine, i've seen systems like that one running on 120/150w psus
Thanks RaggSokk3n Smile

(2012-10-17, 14:51)Dougie Fresh Wrote: That's this case, correct? http://www.aywun.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=52

The only problem you might run into with this case is the top of the Intel stock heatsink might bump up again the button of the powersupply and the fans will compete a bit. Keep an eye on the temps and if you find that happening, just get a lower profile aftermarket heatsink.

Yes, This the case, what if I get Aywun mi-008? Its 130x220x326mm whereas mi-100 is 130x220x300mm.

I actually got this case as its one of the suggestion in this guide: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? so I thought it would fit with G540/G530

Quote:Your real draw will be half that. The 65W is the TDP of the G540, not its power usage which is much, much less (from my own testing).

With madVR and SVP you'll be pushing the hardware a bit more but certainly not max'ing it out.

I was worried a little about SVP as it tries to use CPU and GPU at the same time.

Thanks Dougie Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC, need advice please0