Combining HTPC and Gaming machine
Hallo,

is possible combine HTPC machine with Gaming machine with good results in both usage (low noise and low power usage in HTPC and high graphic power for games)?

I know there is possibility A10-5800 for HTPC and also for gaming in low or middle resolution.

For gaming in high resolution, there is possibility i3 or i5 + powerfull GPU, but it means too much noise and too much power usage in idle and in playing videos...

Is possible use for HTPC only i3 or i5 with iGPU HD4000 with powerfull GPU switch off and only for gaming switch on powerfull GPU?

Thank you very much for your help.

Petr
Intel Core i5-3450 + AMD HD6770 (fanless) might be the best midrange gaming PC....low cost and low noise for gaming PC......or this low cost GPU "PowerColor Go! Green AMD Radeon HD 7750".....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The Alienware X51 line is designed to fit this niche area. The top of the line model has core i7 and GTX 660 GPU. Costs about 1200 bucks I think. I ordered one and then cancelled it as my TV is only 46 inches and my couch is about 10 feet away, not ideal for 1080p gaming, but more importantly I can't really see me getting hours and hours of one on one time with the tv, not very wife friendly. So ultimately all that power would go to waste. There are two lower range models of the x51 however. The lowest is still 699 I think and has a core i3 with Intel HD4000 integrated GPU if I'm not mistaken.

The x51's that have discrete video have technology that allow you to plug into the hdmi on the integrated gpu, but when you play a game the discrete gpu will take over so that, other than when gaming, your noise levels are very, very low. The box only needs about 240W I think under load.

(2012-10-18, 00:12)bluray Wrote: Intel Core i5-3450 + AMD HD6770 (fanless) might be the best midrange gaming PC....low cost and low noise for gaming PC......or this low cost GPU "PowerColor Go! Green AMD Radeon HD 7750".....

Thank you very much for your help.

Is where any possibility use iGPU for XBMC usage and for gaming switch on dedicated GPU? If it is not possible what is power consumption in idle and in XBMC in Blu-Ray or MKV playing?
(2012-10-18, 00:35)dmaker Wrote: The x51's that have discrete video have technology that allow you to plug into the hdmi on the integrated gpu, but when you play a game the discrete gpu will take over so that, other than when gaming, your noise levels are very, very low. The box only needs about 240W I think under load.

It is what I am interested in, but I prefer my own build of PC (not Dell). Is it technology Lucidlogix Virtu for switching between iGPU and GPU? I read that this technology decrease power of GPU...
A lot of Intel motherboards come with Lucidlogix Virtu which is supposed to do what you're asking -- find the best resource between the iGPU and the dGPU.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/
(2012-10-18, 17:03)PV_XBMC Wrote: It is what I am interested in, but I prefer my own build of PC (not Dell). Is it technology Lucidlogix Virtu for switching between iGPU and GPU? I read that this technology decrease power of GPU...
I preferred building my own PC too, because I have better control of the hardware and software. As for Lucidlogix switch, I never use it. It might work, but I'm not sure how well will it work with XBMC though.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-10-18, 18:10)bluray Wrote:
(2012-10-18, 17:03)PV_XBMC Wrote: It is what I am interested in, but I prefer my own build of PC (not Dell). Is it technology Lucidlogix Virtu for switching between iGPU and GPU? I read that this technology decrease power of GPU...
I preferred building my own PC too, because I have better control of the hardware and software. As for Lucidlogix switch, I never use it. It might work, but I'm not sure how well will it work with XBMC though.....

So, I read now that Lucidlogix dont work well, it has performance decrease and no decrease of power consumption in idle or in common usage...

Do you know what is difference in power consumption between i5-3450 + AMD HD7750 and A10-5800 in idle and in playing videos?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Combining HTPC and Gaming machine0