Boxee locks in monthy stream price.
Looks like the all-you-can-eat TV content has a fee of $14.99 per month

http://deviceguru.com/new-boxee-box-medi...ve-tv-dvr/
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/10...nthly-fees

just another reason to throw a few bucks into the XBMC project.
Boxee died as a viable solution long ago. Nobody is going to pay $15/month for a DVR that only records OTA content. They say the advantage is that it has unlimited capacity - so they've taken aim at solving the non-existent problem that storage is too expensive.
They stopped accepting code from the community long ago - alienating the very people who helped them build the product. They end-of-life'd the PC version of Boxee about a year ago, alienating more than half of their users. They end-of-life'd Boxee Box this week while simultaneously saying there would be no Boxee Box 2 - the new direction of the company is the ill-conceived Boxee TV. They've burned every bridge they've come across. Visit their forums - their fanbase (and customers) are upset, and swearing to never patronize their products again. It's not a good business plan to be in a niche market, and to anger everyone in that niche.
I wrote some of the code they included on the Boxee Box, yet they locked me out of it. I know XBMC and Boxee have always had a genial relationship - but speaking for myself "f those guys". They deserve the crash and burn they're about to suffer.
Some of the tech news shows/blogs have been touting this the answered prayer for potential "cable cutters", but when I read the features of Boxee TV, it left me scratching my head as to what all the excitement was about. I don't see how paying them $15/mo. for the privilege of recording your OTA content on their "cloud" is better than using XBMC w/PVR, MythTV, Freevo, etc. to record OTA content on your own hard drive for no monthly fee. I wonder how many people will exceed their ISP's monthly data caps when they have to both upload and download their recordings? And will they make it difficult for you to download your own recordings from their cloud onto your hard drive for archival purposes?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee locks in monthy stream price.0