XBMC "Appliance" Hardware
Quote:Ouch, touser! Looks like I need to stay away from zotac.

*bollocks* I've never had any problems with my boxes.

Quote:or reference hardware used by the XBMC or OpenELEC teams

Well, I do most of my development on a ID 80. My living room system is a D2700-itx which is very similar to the spec of ID 80. In case of anything goes wrong on those systems, I am the first to fix it.

Quote:Live TV, Netflix & Hulu support, and most other add-ons are rough works in progress.

This is wrong for Live TV. Actually this is my main use case watching 1080i@50. I don't have any other stb.
Wink 
Quote:Step 1
Pick any CPU faster than Atom or Fusion

I would be interested where you got your knowledge from. CPU is not mission critical and in case you want to build a HTPC and no 300W heater a Atom CPU is all you need.
(2012-10-23, 21:22)ThePolarSky Wrote: It isn't hard...

Step 1
Pick any CPU faster than Atom or Fusion

Step 2
Pick a GPU from one of the 3 main vendors based on your needs.

AMD = no HW MPEG2 acceleration, no HW deinterlacing, no audio bitstreaming
Intel = no HW deinterlacing
nVidia = no compromises

Step 3
Decide if you want a discrete GPU. If you don't, reevaluate step 1.

Step 4
Buy or build.

That sounds pretty easy. But is it that easy with Linux/OpenELEC? Do they support essentially all modern hardware? I'd heard too many stories of incompatibility and I was assuming it was going to be tougher than that to get things running.
Wink 
They are expensive, but you can't go wrong with a Mac Mini. The refurbs are reasonably priced and come with the same warranty as new
(2012-10-24, 02:14)aaronb Wrote: They are expensive, but you can't go wrong with a Mac Mini. The refurbs are reasonably priced and come with the same warranty as new

Does the Mac Mini have the power to run everything smoothly? From the reports I've read, it is "okay" but a little underpowered.
(2012-10-24, 14:55)gd779 Wrote:
(2012-10-24, 02:14)aaronb Wrote: They are expensive, but you can't go wrong with a Mac Mini. The refurbs are reasonably priced and come with the same warranty as new

Does the Mac Mini have the power to run everything smoothly? From the reports I've read, it is "okay" but a little underpowered.

My 2010 C2D Mac Mini (the last ones with an optical drive) plays everything with no problems at all, and the UI is quick and responsive
(2012-10-25, 03:27)aaronb Wrote:
(2012-10-24, 14:55)gd779 Wrote:

My 2010 C2D Mac Mini (the last ones with an optical drive) plays everything with no problems at all, and the UI is quick and responsive

What is about interlaced HD streams (1080i)? I've had problems with my iMac (not enough cpu power)
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Revo-RL80-UR3...=rl80+acer

I think that would be a good appliance. It looks to have very nice hardware specs for the size.

What do you guys think?

Also I have a Mac Mini C2D. What remote / reciever should I use on it to act as a HTPC if I want to play with it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC "Appliance" Hardware0