All in one HTPC and Server
Hey Everyone!

Im currently deployed on duties but when i get home im defo going to jump in and create a HTPC. ive been showing of xbmc to the guys on my laptop for way to long, next will be to show it off at home!

The predicament is that i live in a small..ish apartment, and havnt got space to make a seperate server. So i kind of need a all in one system, so i can easily transfer files to and from my laptop to my HTPC which will be in the living room. Also it needs to be uber quiet and look good!

I need a case that can hold a couple of hard drives, but is it still worth getting a small SSD for windows and quick boot up time?

Im ot fussed on gaming, It just needs to be able to play up 1080 videos. i dont have a 3d tv, but if the option is there and is cheap enough it could be a option in the future. I also dont own a seperate sound system, just the tv! but again that might come in the near future.

I will be leaving the unit with my better half when im deployed so it has to be user friendly really

Any help would be much appreciated, im looking for a fairly cheap unit. with around 6tb storage until i decide to splash out on a server (and a new apartment!!)

Thanks guys!
A few other details that i just thought about

I would need a blu ray drive
the silverstone ml03 case looks very nice
if its possible a extra pci slot for recording straight from the tv... apparently desperate housewives is too late for the missus to stay up and watch!
and wifi.

looks like i might need a bigger case!!

This computer stuff is way harder than my job lol
After a bit of looking around ive decided to go for a Intel Core i3 3225 build, by the looks of things this is the best for 'future' proofing my build. if thats even possible !.

i really like the look of the SilverStone SST-ML03B, but im not sure if it would be big enough to hold 2 3tb hard drives (1 for backup) and 1 ssd for windows. the 64GB Crucial M4 looks the safe choice for a windows load

motherboard wise ive seen on other builds people have opted for Asus P8H77-M. i really need space for a wifi card and possibly pvr. or is this overkill?

so far -

Intel Core i3-3225
Asus P8H77-M
64GB Crucial M4 SDD
SilverStone SST-ML03B - but dont think it will hold 2 hdd + 1 ssd with everything in
Went back to looking at Mobo's, just come across ASRock H77M Motherboard. seems to have more available slots, but reviews arnt as good as the Asus P8H77-M, well the ones ive read!

Like i said im not fussed about gaming.
(2012-10-22, 15:00)rodders1013 Wrote: SilverStone SST-ML03B - but dont think it will hold 2 hdd + 1 ssd with everything in
It'll support these 3 drives- "Seagate Barracuda + Seagate Momentus + Crucial M4".....

This "ASRock H77 Pro4-M" mobo should be fine......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black) will definitely hold 3 Hard Drives.
IMHO,..I'd skip the SSD. I always put my system to sleep anyway so I get instant on and off.
I also have a BD_ROM in that case.
(2012-10-22, 17:23)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: The SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black) will definitely hold 3 Hard Drives.
IMHO,..I'd skip the SSD. I always put my system to sleep anyway so I get instant on and off.
I also have a BD_ROM in that case.

With an SSD is just much better... browsing you collection. And it takes 20 seconds to boot from a cold start.
But a regular HD does the job too....

But this days why not just buy an ssd they are getting cheaper....
I have a similar setup -- I needed an all-in-one for playing bluray, locally-stored 1080p, and other various stuff. I ended up choosing this case http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc6000.htm

I fit 4 drives to it in a RAID5, and an SSD for Windows. It's worked great for going on two years. Highly recommended.
Perhaps something like this guy rolled: HTPC & Backup Server Some stats from the site:

4TB usable storage (6TB HDD - 2 HDD for RAID6).
XFS Filesystem
317MB/s WRITES.
300 MB/s READS.
A Wireless N card + 1GIG ETH in a bonding configuration. (Redundancy in case of failure)
Scientific Linux 6.1 (RHEL 6.1).

When you say Create, are you limited to only Windows Options or any OS could do? VLC, if you want to use that for media playback should work anywhere. Maybe config the boot disk with an SSD for startup speed.

Thanks and Regards,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
All in one HTPC and Server0