Bugs, errors, tweaks
Just wanted to post my general thoughts so far....

I tried XBMC a month ago, loving it so I built a dedicated HTPC....that works great, installed windows for Netflix.

The vast majority of XBMC is broken or does not work on both my laptop and HTPC. The only plugins that work that I've installed are 1channel, Icefilms, Navi-X, Film on, youtube.....with those having several bugs, as in load, then stop, random script errors etc.

I've tried so many plugins that don't work including XBMCFlix, MTV, crackle, etc etc etc...

Also using the AE version of Eden for bitstreaming works....but it mucks with the TV shows for some reason, as they don't populate the TV Shows menu item under default skin....but my laptop picks them up as I only use it for direct in to TV it doesn't need the AE version.

All and all this software has serious potential, but I've been fidling, reading, tweaking, fidling, reading more, searching, trying suggestions..etc etc etc more than watching anything. It's quite frustrating, and I'd really like to get working as many users have.

Lastly, I'm in Canada, but run through a DNS to trick that I'm in US, the service works great for Netflix US content and access to HULU free over web browser....so I'm not sure if that is screwing anything up.

The service is set up in my router to allow all equipment in my home.

Thanks for any input on anything to get anything more than I have working.

Cheers!
Of course all your thoughts are welcome, it gives us all a view to stumbling blocks to be considered..

For me the vast majority of XBMC just works flawlessly... I don't use the streaming plugins a lot, but it's a tribute to the developers who have enabled hooks inside XBMC to allow for these 3rd party additions which they have almost no control; and yet create disparaging comments by users who unjustifiably cast the blame in the wrong corners. Perhaps if XBMC devs took out those hooks to the main application... we would see far fewer issues.

Keep in mind there is a proper thread for each plugin usually monitored by the author, who may offer some solace, or even repository updates. Using a broad brush to paint 3rd party plugins in the 'windows support forum', isn't really helping.... just venting on those who don't see your perspective is just plain unfair.

Your information regarding the AE version of Eden and your scraping discovery, is just the sort of information that would help devs if placed in the correct forum in the correct fashion. But I would say that this new feature has been integrated in the new 'Frodo' so a reference to that program is more than likely... over devs wasting their time trying to bug fix what you have.

All of this tweaking and fiddling results in a very customized HT set-up in which, you not only can use with pleasure, but with enough experience and information be able to contribute back to the community in some meaningful way; and be part of this magnificent effort. The software not only has serious potential... but really is one of the gems of open source software, and the developers should be encouraged in anyway you can offer; even if that's just a few bucks at the moment.

I'm also from the great white north and use XBMC without IP tricks etc.. and have been more than satisfied with XBMC performance. I'm not a big fan of U.S. TV shows and Netflix offerings pale compared to my home library. Don't put a lot of stock in streaming plugins, if they work then it's a bonus, but think of XBMC as the ultimate media centre that organizes and plays back 'your' collection, after all why waste the bandwidth twice.
So...your gonna laugh, but in efforts to try to rectify my issue with TV Shows not showing up, I thought I'd try one of the other HD audio builds as there are 2......well......turns out I was running Ver. 12, frodo test build with HD Audio, so once I Installed Eden + HD Audio Final...things were much better....haven't tried some of the plugs that weren't working yet, fingers crossed there.

Being computer savvy, It's somewhat embarrassing, but we all make mistakes, and I guess it might help someone troubleshoot.

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bugs, errors, tweaks0