• 5(current)
Mini-ITX motherboard with Sandy Bridge mobile Celeron 847 and Intel HD Graphics
(2012-11-11, 22:10)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-11-10, 06:44)bluray Wrote: I honestly thought bluray was joking with the comment and would probrably not take it seriously if it was me. Everyone else in this thread appreciate your budget htpc experiment. Don't let one voice corrupt your effort.

Thanks. He's in no way joking. We've been over this before. You'll notice just about every post I make has some one-line reply/complaint/dig.
You guys took it too personal and too far on this.....if you cannot test XBMC media player on it, you can simply say I cannot do it.....this is my last one on this thread. Good luck with your Celeron 847 HTPC guys!

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-11, 22:10)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The high bitrate clips were from the local drive and the MKVs were from the network. With Intel 2000 HD graphics, 1080p video is easy as long as it's GPU accelerated. Non-GPU accelerated HD video results in high CPU usage but unlike Atom/Zacate it actually plays with stutter.
Maybe I'm missing something here but I'll mention what I'm thinking anyways. Ok, well since there is a known problem with XBMC and how it interacts with the DXVA on Intel HDXXXX iGPUs (i.e. severe macro-blocking) that means you'd have to play back all HD media without GPU acceleration. This is not a problem on SB desktop CPUs (like my G620) because they have the horsepower to handle the decoding without GPU acceleration. I'm wondering how the mobile celeron will handle it? Since you've already stated it can play HD content without DXVA but it stutters I think that is likely what would we would see in XBMC also.

HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Just came back to read on what is new.... all I have to say is wow. Blush

(2012-11-11, 23:17)bluray Wrote: .....if you cannot test XBMC media player on it, you can simply say I cannot do it.....

(2012-11-12, 00:24)wsume99 Wrote:
(2012-11-11, 22:10)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The high bitrate clips were from the local drive and the MKVs were from the network. With Intel 2000 HD graphics, 1080p video is easy as long as it's GPU accelerated. Non-GPU accelerated HD video results in high CPU usage but unlike Atom/Zacate it actually plays with stutter.
Maybe I'm missing something here but I'll mention what I'm thinking anyways. Ok, well since there is a known problem with XBMC and how it interacts with the DXVA on Intel HDXXXX iGPUs (i.e. severe macro-blocking) that means you'd have to play back all HD media without GPU acceleration. This is not a problem on SB desktop CPUs (like my G620) became they have the horsepower to handle the decode without GPU acceleration. I'm wondering how the mobile celeron will handle it? Since you've already stated it can play HD content without DXVA but it stutters I think that is likely would we would see in XBMC.

I got some unexpected free time tonight and I had a chance to get back to the 847 system and run XBMC. Video plays very smoothly with DXVA turned on but I see the macroblocking issue. With DXVA turned off, CPU usage is 99-100% and video does not play smoothly. The Celeron mobile CPU is not powerful enough for the XBMC software renderer.

The alternative here then is probably to launch an external viewer like MPC-HC or Windows Media Player that doesn't have this DXVA issue. I used to do this to get HD audio bitstreaming. So, it can at least be worked around. It's a bummer though.

I also installed Aeon Nox and transitions, etc. run very smoothly.

My dream HTPC has XBMC with CableCard support Smile
(2012-11-12, 00:27)Beer40oz Wrote: Just came back to read on what is new.... all I have to say is wow. Blush
You took my line, because I was going to say the same thing. How did we got from "Since we are in XBMC forum, XBMC player should be the first thing to try..." to "Is it necessary to crap all over this thread for that?, Don't let one voice corrupt your effort., reply/complaint/dig"? I don't see anything wrong with "Since we are in XBMC forum, XBMC player should be the first thing to try..." this line, and I don't see it as corrupt/complaint/dig. I don't get it. I follows eSkro, Bluray and Beer for more than a year now. I built one A8-3850 HTPC using their guide, and it have been working flawless so far. They are the most helpful and very polite people in this forum. They are down to earth and they get down to the point.

With that said, I want to thank wsume99 for explaining his experiences with this Celeron chip. I almost pull the trigger on this "ZOTAC ZBOXNANO-ID61-PLUS-U" for my bedroom. I thought that it can handle 1080P video using XBMC. You save me a lot of headache.

Keep up the good work guys!!!

(2012-11-12, 16:35)noworry Wrote:
(2012-11-12, 00:27)Beer40oz Wrote: Just came back to read on what is new.... all I have to say is wow. Blush
You took my line, because I was going to say the same thing. How did we got from "Since we are in XBMC forum, XBMC player should be the first thing to try..." to "Is it necessary to crap all over this thread for that?, Don't let one voice corrupt your effort., reply/complaint/dig"? I don't see anything wrong with "Since we are in XBMC forum, XBMC player should be the first thing to try..." this line, and I don't see it as corrupt/complaint/dig. I don't get it. I follows eSkro, Bluray and Beer for more than a year now. I built one A8-3850 HTPC using their guide, and it have been working flawless so far. They are the most helpful and very polite people in this forum. They are down to earth and they get down to the point.

As I've been testing this board I've been posting my notes here about what I've found as I go along. This is not my day job, it's a hobby. I have a family, a home, other things to do as well. I get to what I can when I can after all those other things. I have a series of steps I take when testing any system. First, the BIOS then Memtest. Then Windows install, Prime 95 and Furmark. Then I will install LAVFilter and play a MKV file off the network using WMP. I also tried downloading the high bitrate clips and playing those by request. Next, would be XBMC. I even said that I would test XBMC and OpenELEC and I was able to test XBMC last night with DXVA on/off and I posted those results above. I don't see the need for "Since we are in XBMC forum, XBMC player should be the first thing to try...". What's the purpose? Why complain? Why do I need to be *told* how to do this? A request would be one thing like, "can you please try XBMC?" not "XBMC player should be the first thing to try..." as in "you're doing it wrong".

If you guys think that's ok then I'm done. This is not fun any more.
Hey Dougie!

I don´t post much but in regards to the guys that have to clutter up threads like this with nothing to say.. Don´t bother..

What I enjoy on a forum like this is guys who actually t r y different hardware and report about their experiences instead of being "Google-ists"

Kudos to you!! Smile

Rgds

/Christer
(2012-11-12, 17:14)Christer K Wrote: What I enjoy on a forum like this is guys who actually t r y different hardware and report about their experiences instead of being "Google-ists"
+1,000,000,000,000

There are 2 relatively new users to the XBMC forums (although there are pretty well known elsewhere) who do quite a bit of HTPC building and have a ton a valuable info to share. They know who they are and I thank them for elevating the level of knowledge around here.

HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
(2012-11-12, 16:35)noworry Wrote:

With that said, I want to thank wsume99 for explaining his experiences with this Celeron chip. I almost pull the trigger on this "ZOTAC ZBOXNANO-ID61-PLUS-U" for my bedroom. I thought that it can handle 1080P video using XBMC. You save me a lot of headache.

Keep up the good work guys!!!

Ok... I said that because I feel for Dougie... he is very bright when it comes to this hobby. I enjoy his threads and love the fact he gets the hardware to test... it is better then being a "Google-ists" -- Nice one Christer K...

All I wan't is a good read... please continue...

noworry Thank you for the kind words... without people like you the community would not be fun.

We should all remember this is a hobby.... it is not our job we are just here for the good times. Wink

i agree with Beer40 and noworry %110!
opinion from actual users who bought/tested/commented on their htpc build is golden!!
(2012-11-12, 17:14)Christer K Wrote: What I enjoy on a forum like this is guys who actually t r y different hardware and report about their experiences instead of being "Google-ists"
I agreed that DIY is golden, but a person with general knowledge on computer and electronics is golden too. I considered Google is golden too, and it's free info at my finger tip. One way or another, we all Googles before we build our HTPC. I Googles all the times, and that is how I found this forum. Since I’m clueless on computer and lack of general knowledge on computer and electronics, I did not know what to Google for either. I happen to stumbled across Bluray's Bitstreaming HD audio post when I Google the net for the information on my new AVR. His bitstreaming instructions are very simple, and I have no problem using it to configure my HTPC. He and others helped me built my first HTPC. For being woman and no knowledge on computer, I thought I never could build it. I'm very grateful how helpful, polite and willingness these guys wanted to help me. They're better than my AVR support person.....Big Grin

Keep up the good work guys!
(2012-11-14, 18:48)noworry Wrote:
I agreed that DIY is golden, but a person with general knowledge on computer and electronics is golden too. I considered Google is golden too, and it's free info at my finger tip. One way or another, we all Googles before we build our HTPC. I Googles all the times, and that is how I found this forum. Since I’m clueless on computer and lack of general knowledge on computer and electronics, I did not know what to Google for either. I happen to stumbled across Bluray's Bitstreaming HD audio post when I Google the net for the information on my new AVR. His bitstreaming instructions are very simple, and I have no problem using it to configure my HTPC. He and others helped me built my first HTPC. For being woman and no knowledge on computer, I thought I never could build it. I'm very grateful how helpful, polite and willingness these guys wanted to help me. They're better than my AVR support person.....Big Grin

Keep up the good work guys!

Thank you.... I am willing to help when ever I get a chance... now if my wife loved technology like me I would be a happy man... Rofl

Nice to see girls/woman liking this stuff.... that is awesome. Big Grin
Wow, this thread really took a turn.

I'm thankful to Dougie Fresh for doing some EXTRA testing by request (for FREE). Its always great to have that kind of information out there when you can't afford to buy the wrong thing.

Bottom line, this board ROCKS.
(2012-11-14, 19:08)plupien79 Wrote: Wow, this thread really took a turn.

I'm thankful to Dougie Fresh for doing some EXTRA testing by request (for FREE). Its always great to have that kind of information out there when you can't afford to buy the wrong thing.

Bottom line, this board ROCKS.

Celeron mobile 847 FTW!

Asus has a nm70 board in the pipeline

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SL...mED9VhwpIZ

No Product page yet, but the manual is up
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini-ITX motherboard with Sandy Bridge mobile Celeron 847 and Intel HD Graphics1