xbox1 > Win 7 HTPC > openelec/NAS evolution
I upgraded from a modded 10GB xbox1 to an HTPC Win 7 build several years ago and I'm feeling the need for another change.

I'm hoping to convert my current HTPC which houses all my media to a more "appliance" type box and move the media off to a NAS. I have a pretty nice hackintosh build that I don't use very much that I can salvage. 10 years ago I did all sorts of research to mod all those xbox1s and my last HTPC build was a lot of research and fun and too be honest this time around I'm a little older, I've a little more money and I don't need to dig so deep to find that "perfect build". And so, can you all advice on some options and in particular any easy and obvious upgrade moves.

Current Win 7 HTPC
AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor
4GB RAM
Silverstone case
ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX
400 W Corsair PS
Western Digital WD Green 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000 (0F12117) 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Western Digital WD Green 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s"
AZiO BTD-V201 Micro Bluetooth Adapter USB 2.0
Rosewill RRC-126 Windows 7 Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control with Netflix Function

Current hackintosh
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 P55 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 870 Processor
thermaltake v4 case
OCZ Technology 90GB Agility 2 SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
LG GH22LS40 Super-Multi 22X SATA DVD Burner with Lightscribe - OEM
GeForce 9500GT 1GB
4 GB RAM
600 W OCZ PS

i'm thinking of putting just the SSD in the HTPC. the AMD Sempron is low voltage but can handle my content just fine. i'm thinking of installing openelec on this box, will this improve boot to xbmc times? doess snes emulation perform decently? the geforce has dvi but not hdmi out, would it worth it for any reason to put the geforce into the openelec HTPC?

should i add another SSD for the NAS box? i'm thinking either unRAID or ZFS, i don't paying if there is a reason too, particularly if i'm going to notice a drop in speed moving from on box storage to a nas, which would be a downer. is the i7 overkill for a NAS?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbox1 > Win 7 HTPC > openelec/NAS evolution0