Small NAS/HTPC case
Hi everyone,

I've recently decided to build a HTPC in order to replace my old WDTV Live.
Apart from browsing, watching up to 1080p, playing emulators and the like, I also want to use it as a download server with internal storage. 6TB should be enough (2x3.5"). I know it would be better to have a dedicated PC for this; however, since I'll probably be changing houses every other week or so, I'm looking for an all-in-one portable solution. The case should be comparable in width and length to a 15" laptop, and not much higher than 100mm (3.9"). I don't need it to be completely silent, but I don't want another 360 Tongue

To sum up the requirements:
- fast enough for fluid browsing, 1080p, light gaming / emulators, background download services
- 2x3.5" HDD slots, 1x2.5"
- small size
- no ODD

I'm currently planning to go for a A6-5400K build with the ASRock mainboard (not available yet) and 2x Caviar Green 3TB. I haven't looked into RAM and SSD yet.

The hardest piece to find seems to be the case. Most cases I found that can hold 2x3.5" are too big.
After countless hours of searching I was merely able to find two:

1. Realan E-i7 with 120W AC Adapter
- Dimensions: 245x95x236 mm
- up to 2x3.5" HDD
- 120W PSU (DCDC) with 120W AC Adapter

I like the design of this case a lot. However, I'm only able to get the silver version (imo the black version looks better) in Germany (for a reasonable price) and the CD slot would be unused. The case doesn't have an additional 2.5" bracket, but I should be able to tape it on the sides according to Dougie (big thanks to him for providing me with a lot of info about the i7 Wink ). With the case being crammed like that, I'm a bit worried about heat and airflow though. I know I won't get the best temps with a build like that, but I don't want it to die within the first year Wink

2. IN WIN BP671
- Dimensions: 265x100x310 mm
- 2x3.5" (one low profile), 5.25"
- internal TFX 200W PSU

This case is as big as I'd tolerate. With some drive bay adapters it should be able to fit 2x3.5" + 2.5". From what I've gathered it also supports stock cooler height. I've also read that the PSU and fan that comes with it aren't any good, so I might replace them.

So here's my questions:

Do you think that the E-i7 will keep things cool (warm) enough? Do you think the 120W PSU is sufficient (if I added a SD TV stick or/and WiFi stick)? Do you think the second case would be a safer choice or does the internal PSU negate the advantages of the bigger size?
Do you know of any other cases that would fit my needs?

Thanks in advance =)
You're welcome on the E-i7 info.

Would this be too big for your liking?
http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Aplu...12735.html

zwei 3,5"
I'm afraid so Sad
This one is 129mm high. I'm looking for something no higher than 110mm.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Small NAS/HTPC case0