[RELEASE] Windows Screensaver Script
Photo 
This is a XBMC python script, which will install itself as python screensaver.
Upon activation by XBMC it will start the current windows screensaver.

So now you'll be able to have all those nice windows screensavers out there
on your Windows XBMC box. Aquariums, Fireplaces and Electric Sheep to
name a few.

Great thanks go out to dersphere and garbear for adding python screensaver
support to XBMC. The Script frame is mostly based on derspheres work, too.
So go ahead and add to their reputation it you like this. Smile

Sadly I was not able to make it work in pure python. The script relies on a
c++ program written by me to do its work. The sourcode is on my github
site and within the zip file. If you don't trust my precompiled version, check
the source and compile it yourself. Smile

For the above reason, the script will not make it into the offical addon repository.
So you'll have to install it by hand. Download the zip. Go to System / Add-ons
and choose Install from zip file. After it is installed go to xbmc's screensaver
settings and choose Windows Screensaver.

You will need a current nightly build to make it work! Frodo-RC2 Or you'll have to wait
till Frodo is released.

The script is tested on Windows 7 (32&64 bit) with electric sheep as screensaver.

If you have problems, feel free to post here with a full debug log.

Github: https://github.com/SlrG/xbmcaddon
Script: script.windowsscreensaver_v1.1.zip

2012-10-24 18:97 Found a bug which happens on remote controlled systems. Will try to fix it asap.
2012-12-08 17:43 I'm still on this. But work life is rather busy at the moment, so it will take more time.
2012-12-27 22:30 Remote control problems should now be fixed I think. More info in github commit.
Hi

Thanks for this, this feature is just what I've been looking for. I want to use it to run windows photo gallery as a screen saver which is the only screensaver I can find to select photos according to their metadata (i.e. star ratings in particular).

The only trouble I'm having is that the photo screensaver shows an error message whenever there is music playing in the background. It works fine when xbmc is doing nothing, but if I want some music on in the background then it errors.

I don't know if this is actually anything to do with your script - it may just be a limitation of my setup, but any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
Hi mkpop,

work life is rather busy for me at the moment. I'll have a look at your problem over the christmas days. I did not test with windows photo screensaver when developing the script, so I can't say where the problem is, yet. I'll post again if I find a solution or at least let you know where the problem is.

SlrG
Just wanted to pop in and say "thanks!" Works perfectly with several screensavers I've tried. It really opens up what's available for XBMC.

Thanks again!
Slrg

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!
I'll get you a debug log next time this happens...

Several times when exiting the screensaver, XBMC quits with a dialog box:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

[path to xbmc]

R6025
- pure virtual function call
@mkpop: I'm sorry to say I can't reproduce your error. How do you have music running in the background? If I start playing an album within xbmc and untick "use visualization if playing audio" the windows foto screensaver starts and ends just fine if I'm within a menu. Please test again using at least Frodo-RC2 and v1.1 of my addon.

If it still errors for you, please enable debug logging and post a link to a full debug log on pastebin.

@majorsl:
I can't reproduce this either. Which Windows Version are you using? Which screensaver? A debug log will indeed be helpful. Smile
(2012-12-27, 23:53)SlrG Wrote: @majorsl:
I can't reproduce this either. Which Windows Version are you using? Which screensaver? A debug log will indeed be helpful. Smile

Hi, I've using this http://www.dreamaquarium.com/ on Win 7 (fully up-to-date).

Unfortunately, it only happens occasionally when it exits, perhaps a 1 in 10 chance.

I'll try to get some debug info over my New Years vacation.

Thank you for replying!
I'm using XBMC Remote for iOS, and Frodo 12.1. Once the screensaver starts, my remote can't wake the system. Any ideas on how to fix this?
With Frodo something seems to have changed in XBMCs handling of screensavers. Work life is rather busy at the moment, so I had no chance to investigate the problem. For now I can only recommend to deactivate the script and use XBMCs internal screensaver. Sad
(2013-05-12, 11:46)SlrG Wrote: With Frodo something seems to have changed in XBMCs handling of screensavers. Work life is rather busy at the moment, so I had no chance to investigate the problem. For now I can only recommend to deactivate the script and use XBMCs internal screensaver. Sad

Hey man, I appreciate the response! I updated to 12.2 and the issue is fixed Smile

Thank you very much for a nice script!
Am using other apps under windows that are affected by a screen saver when it using XBMC. Can set the main windows screensaver to 9999 minutes, while the local in XBMC is only 1 minute
(2012-10-24, 15:20)SlrG Wrote: You will need a current nightly build to make it work! Frodo-RC2 Or you'll have to wait
till Frodo is released.

Will work with Gotham?
When i try to install from zip say that are missing dependencies.
Regards.
Enrico.
It propably won't work. Sad Also I won't be able to fix it in the foreseeable future. Sorry. Sad Feel free to have a look at the sourcecode yourself. Its free to pickup and change for everyone.
Seems that was a corrupded install!
On another system works fine.
(or maybe is because this system was upgraded from frodo)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Windows Screensaver Script0