Router with USB port
someone mentioned in another thread that he has an airport extreme router that he can plug his usb into the back of it and access everything such as his music, videos and photos while he is on the same network as his apple tv. I wanted to know if that possible on my router the Arris TG862 by me plugging my external hard drive into it and using xbmc through my jailbroken apple tv2. I am trying to avoid having to have my computer on and also sharing that folder.

According to the manual, which was the only thing that really talked about the USB port when I searched, it will work. However, everything said stuff like "future support for external USB devices", so it might be a feature that is not yet enabled. I would assume that it's not yet enabled since I couldn't find anything about how to set up sharing a USB drive through the router's settings.

If you need a solution now, or they don't end up enabling this feature (or take forever to do so) you can also use something like a Raspberry Pi (wiki) or an inexpensive (around $30 USD) Pogo plug device. They use very little power and will both allow you to share USB drives over the network.
(2012-10-25, 06:36)Ned Scott Wrote: According to the manual, which was the only thing that really talked about the USB port when I searched, it will work. However, everything said stuff like "future support for external USB devices", so it might be a feature that is not yet enabled. I would assume that it's not yet enabled since I couldn't find anything about how to set up sharing a USB drive through the router's settings.

If you need a solution now, or they don't end up enabling this feature (or take forever to do so) you can also use something like a Raspberry Pi (wiki) or an inexpensive (around $30 USD) Pogo plug device. They use very little power and will both allow you to share USB drives over the network.

I looked up the pogo plug device and think it will work with what I am trying to accomplish with sharing my music, media etc over the network My only question is will I be able to access the media through xbmc on the jailbroken apple tv 2. I see that it mentions that a user will be able to access things on the computer through a website, but will it work through xbmc w/o having a browser to log into?

I was looking at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-POGO-E02-...B0033WSDR4
I'd go with this one, that does just about everything that other one does, but is only $20: http://www.amazon.com/New-Media-sharing-...005JOLX0I/

Pogo Plugs are weird in that the default software is... horrible. I would go as far as to call it garbage. However, they are very easy to modify so that you can enable things like NFS and SMB sharing, which will work best for connecting it to the ATV2. You can even do some really crazy stuff with it, like attach a USB TV tuner and have the Pogo Plug record and stream live TV, but that has a few more steps.
(2012-10-25, 08:13)Ned Scott Wrote: I'd go with this one, that does just about everything that other one does, but is only $20: http://www.amazon.com/New-Media-sharing-...005JOLX0I/

Pogo Plugs are weird in that the default software is... horrible. I would go as far as to call it garbage. However, they are very easy to modify so that you can enable things like NFS and SMB sharing, which will work best for connecting it to the ATV2. You can even do some really crazy stuff with it, like attach a USB TV tuner and have the Pogo Plug record and stream live TV, but that has a few more steps.

I ordered the one that you mentioned,so we'll see how it goes
www.archlinuxarm.org has lots of help and support for running Arch Linux on Pogoplugs.
You already have a router so this solution may not help you but here goes, I use the belkin n 750 router that allows you to connect two USB devices and shares them on the network via upnp and also smb. The latter I discovered by accident because it isn't documented ( at least not in the unit I bought. I have a 3 tb hard drive plugged into one of the USB ports and it shows up automatically as a USB device on my Mac so I can read and write to it. When you add videos from the apple tv and you browse over to workgroup, the router shows up then the hard drive via smb
(2012-10-30, 18:53)Canyaya Wrote: You already have a router so this solution may not help you but here goes, I use the belkin n 750 router that allows you to connect two USB devices and shares them on the network via upnp and also smb. The latter I discovered by accident because it isn't documented ( at least not in the unit I bought. I have a 3 tb hard drive plugged into one of the USB ports and it shows up automatically as a USB device on my Mac so I can read and write to it. When you add videos from the apple tv and you browse over to workgroup, the router shows up then the hard drive via smb

well actually,i was looking to get rid of this router because it is from Comcast and they charge me to use it. I would like to buy one for myself and use that instead. So I need to look for one with usb ports
(2012-10-30, 20:40)quiet storm iii Wrote:
(2012-10-30, 18:53)Canyaya Wrote: You already have a router so this solution may not help you but here goes, I use the belkin n 750 router that allows you to connect two USB devices and shares them on the network via upnp and also smb. The latter I discovered by accident because it isn't documented ( at least not in the unit I bought. I have a 3 tb hard drive plugged into one of the USB ports and it shows up automatically as a USB device on my Mac so I can read and write to it. When you add videos from the apple tv and you browse over to workgroup, the router shows up then the hard drive via smb

well actually,i was looking to get rid of this router because it is from Comcast and they charge me to use it. I would like to buy one for myself and use that instead. So I need to look for one with usb ports

I bought mine from Costco for about $85. It was a very nice surprise to find that it supported smb protocol. It made It into a very cheap NAS. I used to share my media folders from my Mac to my apple tv and so it was always a nuisance to have the Mac on at all times to access my media. Now with this set up , the drive is always at the ready by being connected to my router
(2012-10-31, 16:58)Canyaya Wrote:
(2012-10-30, 20:40)quiet storm iii Wrote:

I bought mine from Costco for about $85. It was a very nice surprise to find that it supported smb protocol. It made It into a very cheap NAS. I used to share my media folders from my Mac to my apple tv and so it was always a nuisance to have the Mac on at all times to access my media. Now with this set up , the drive is always at the ready by being connected to my router

i bought a pogo plug but it is giving me a lot of trouble as of now. I should have looked at something more convenient
(2012-10-31, 20:21)quiet storm iii Wrote: i bought a pogo plug but it is giving me a lot of trouble as of now. I should have looked at something more convenient

It certainly takes more work than normal to set up, but it's quite the little device once it is. Once I get some more SATA to USB adapters/cases, I plan on making mine a full time server for torrents, mysql, files, and maybe a PVR recorder via USB tuner and tvheadend.

I am surprised that some of the more common features, hacked or not, aren't easier to install. You'd think someone would have thrown together some install scripts or something. I'm even more surprised that Pogo Plug still, to this day, does not offer more than UPnP for local sharing out of the box. Seems kind of a bonehead move for what is otherwise nice hardware.
(2012-11-01, 05:28)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-10-31, 20:21)quiet storm iii Wrote: i bought a pogo plug but it is giving me a lot of trouble as of now. I should have looked at something more convenient

It certainly takes more work than normal to set up, but it's quite the little device once it is. Once I get some more SATA to USB adapters/cases, I plan on making mine a full time server for torrents, mysql, files, and maybe a PVR recorder via USB tuner and tvheadend.

I am surprised that some of the more common features, hacked or not, aren't easier to install. You'd think someone would have thrown together some install scripts or something. I'm even more surprised that Pogo Plug still, to this day, does not offer more than UPnP for local sharing out of the box. Seems kind of a bonehead move for what is otherwise nice hardware.

could you help me set it up so that i may stream it to my apple tv? I looked at the steps someone posted earlier. I could not even find my IP address...
You should be able to find the IP address of the PogoPlug from your router's settings.

First, follow this guide: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/...provideov3

Double check the model number on the bottom of the PogoPlug to make sure it matches one of the model numbers listed on that page. If it does, click on the installation tab and follow the instructions.

For some reason I can't find a recent page for NFS. SMB instructions are on http://archlinuxarm.org/support/guides/a...ions/samba

I'll post again if I find the NFS instructions, but SMB should work too.
(2012-11-01, 17:23)Ned Scott Wrote: You should be able to find the IP address of the PogoPlug from your router's settings.

First, follow this guide: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/...provideov3

Double check the model number on the bottom of the PogoPlug to make sure it matches one of the model numbers listed on that page. If it does, click on the installation tab and follow the instructions.

For some reason I can't find a recent page for NFS. SMB instructions are on http://archlinuxarm.org/support/guides/a...ions/samba

I'll post again if I find the NFS instructions, but SMB should work too.

ok, i found the IP address of the pogo. I had to plug it into my router, not my gateway.

how do you power down the pogoplug? also, am i using putty to ssh onto the pogo? can i copy and paste the directions that are in gray into the ssh program?
Pogoplug stays on all the time. Putty should work fine, and copy and pasting the commands in gray should work, but I would do it line-by-line (paste one line, hit return, etc. Watch for prompts for yes/no answers, etc).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Router with USB port0