SSD Advice
Looking to upgrade the HD in my Acer Revo to a SSD.

Should I be expecting a noticeable performance increase in windows and xbmc?

What drives would people recommend?

At some point in the future I will probably upgrade my Revo so to the extend it could be future proof would be great.
As far as playback, there is no different......SSD bootup faster....Crucial M4 2.5 inch 64GB
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
What about displaying of thumbnails, loading library etc?
Yes, there will be a noticeable difference in Windows performance. Most things will just happen with minimal delay. In XBMC the performance won't be as noticeable. In my case, my libraries load faster on an initial startup. After images are cached and put into RAM, it's no different than an HDD, really. The lack of HDD access noise is nice too.

I'm using a Samsung 830 128gb SSD and have zero complaints. It also comes with decent pack-in software utilities.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
+1. Anyone who still just spouts "it only makes booting faster" is regurgitating something they read years ago and has never used a SSD.
(2012-10-28, 23:28)Dougie Fresh Wrote: +1. Anyone who still just spouts "it only makes booting faster" is regurgitating something they read years ago and has never used a SSD.
It's not regurgitating something from reading about SSD years ago my friend. I have been using SSD for several years now. I used 7200 RPM hard drives prior to installed 3 SSD drives. It is a bit over rated for HTPC. Speed is not one of my main concern for HTPC, because I don't mind waiting 15sec more to startup HTPC with 7200 RPM HDD and then loading BD into BD-ROM....

With that said; if the price is right, I still buy SSD....
@bluray: I'd sign that. My OpenElec Box as well as my PCs and laptops run on SSDs. But not because of the "huge" performance gain of any OS (using Windows 7 as well as (X)Ubuntu and OE), but more because of the smaller energy footprint, the quick bootup and the silence when running. Another point (for laptops only, of course) is the "no-moving-parts" thing. You can throw them around without having to worry about the insides. But hands down, if your HTPC is running and the libraries are loaded and cached - no big thing at all.

@thomasjay: if you don't have that much local files on the HTPC I would go with a size around 30-64GB and buy a solid one. Crucial M4s run very nice, Samsung 830 64GB is a beast, too. OCZ I'd only go for a Vertex3, Vertex2 had too much failures in my history and OCZ still has some issues with the brand new Vertex4. Or think about an Intel 330 Series. That ones are pretty solid.
(2012-10-29, 00:33)bluray Wrote:
(2012-10-28, 23:28)Dougie Fresh Wrote: +1. Anyone who still just spouts "it only makes booting faster" is regurgitating something they read years ago and has never used a SSD.
It's not regurgitating something from reading about SSD years ago my friend. I have been using SSD for several years now. I used 7200 RPM hard drives prior to installed 3 SSD drives. It is a bit over rated for HTPC. Speed is not one of my main concern for HTPC, because I don't mind waiting 15sec more to startup HTPC with 7200 RPM HDD and then loading BD into BD-ROM....

Who said I was talking about you? I've said it before and I'll say it again, my posts aren't about YOU even if you think they are. When they are, I'll say your name or I'll quote you. Is that clear enough for you now?
(2012-10-29, 01:39)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-10-29, 00:33)bluray Wrote:

Who said I was talking about you? I've said it before and I'll say it again, my posts aren't about YOU even if you think they are. When they are, I'll say your name or I'll quote you. Is that clear enough for you now?
The word "Anyone" in your post, and it can be me or anyone else. In this case, I'm the only person critical of SSD in the second post of this thread. If your response is not responded to that, I'm not sure what it responded to then.....

Of course, it is not about me and you. There is nothing wrong with an honest point of view about SSD.....

(2012-10-28, 21:44)thrak76 Wrote: Yes, there will be a noticeable difference in Windows performance. Most things will just happen with minimal delay. In XBMC the performance won't be as noticeable. In my case, my libraries load faster on an initial startup. After images are cached and put into RAM, it's no different than an HDD, really. The lack of HDD access noise is nice too.
+1, very solid comment on SSD.......

(2012-10-29, 01:27)j3gr Wrote: @bluray: I'd sign that. My OpenElec Box as well as my PCs and laptops run on SSDs. But not because of the "huge" performance gain of any OS (using Windows 7 as well as (X)Ubuntu and OE), but more because of the smaller energy footprint, the quick bootup and the silence when running. Another point (for laptops only, of course) is the "no-moving-parts" thing. You can throw them around without having to worry about the insides. But hands down, if your HTPC is running and the libraries are loaded and cached - no big thing at all.
+1, another very solid comment on SSD......

Intel, Crucial or Samsung seem to be all well recommended.

I hear differing views with respect to reliability on most of the other brands - usually quite a bit cheaper too.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-10-28, 21:13)thomasjay Wrote: Looking to upgrade the HD in my Acer Revo to a SSD.

Should I be expecting a noticeable performance increase in windows and xbmc?

What drives would people recommend?

At some point in the future I will probably upgrade my Revo so to the extend it could be future proof would be great.

You will definitely notice a performance increase. Like others have said, it may not make a huge difference in xbmc but your pc will be snappier overall. And on top of the performance there is no noise and lower power consumption. Theyre great for htpc's!

Using a Mushkin Chronos myself, 60GB for the XBMC box. Fast read/write speeds and picked it up for €40.
Installing an SSD drive in my HTPC (Mac Mini) was the best choice ever. I am using Transparency! skin and it is now very zappy and fanart and posters pull up without any noticeable delay. No comparison to before. I forgot the brand of the SSD, but it wasn't anything particularly expensive / fancy.

I also just went ahead and installed a PCI-E SSD in my storage server. Also very fast, just much slower boot time than before as the PCI-E needs to initialize upon boot-up, which takes a bit.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD Advice0