Remotes (and wake up functionality)
The remoter are something completely new at least to me. I tried to find some basic info regarding the different types of remoter and which are able to wake up a PC (also what hardware, like mobo, is required to achieve this) but without success. I am aware of Remote control reviews but would somebody spare a few minutes to explain (if it mater i ask about a Windows based system):
  • which type of remote can wake up a PC (IR remotes can - any other?)
  • whats the difference between a random IR remote and MCE remote?
  • it is possible to wake up a system but does the motherboard need to support it or it is up to the receiver?
  • i saw some motherboards have IR/CIR header - is such interface useful only for cases with integrated IR receiver?
  • should i look for RC-6 remote and avoid RC-5 protocol remotes? In case RC-5 remotes are still available.
My RC-6 rosewill mce remote wakes up my deaktop and my ion box. so mce remotes will wake any computer that can wake with a keyboard press. If that helps.
There's wake from sleep (S3) and wake from shutdown (S5). To wake from S5 you need a CIR header/receiver or one that splices into the PSU like the Simerec PCS*.
@live4ever

Is that how the A75M-ITX board is setup?

I am building one using the A75M-ITX, and have seen it mentioned as capable of S5 power up, but I'm not sure if I need to do anything special with the PSU // BIOS...

Any help would be appreciated!
Certain dongles will power on certain mobos from a total shutdown. I think it has to do with the dongle being able to send the power on command as a usb keyboard, which wakes the mobo same as a usb keyboard would.

see this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132960
Good to know that it is up to the dongles to wake up a PC.
(2012-10-31, 16:41)newoski Wrote: @live4ever

Is that how the A75M-ITX board is setup?

I am building one using the A75M-ITX, and have seen it mentioned as capable of S5 power up, but I'm not sure if I need to do anything special with the PSU // BIOS...

Any help would be appreciated!

I have the Asrock A75m-ITX and the mentioned rosewill dongle powers it up from S5 without being hooked up to the CIR header

I just noticed that even my old Microsoft MCE receiver powers it up from S5 as long as it is connected to one of the "USB 2.0" ports.

In the bios enable "USB Keyboard/Remote Power on"

It doesn't work following a hard shutdown (holding the power button for more than 4 seconds)

But works after a graceful one.

This alone is convincing me to switch to openelec so I can take advantage of the appliance like features with the completely remote controlled on/off

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remotes (and wake up functionality)0