TV Shows
Awesome! progress Smile

I know it seems daunting at first getting the hang of it all, but it really isn't bad once you get it figured out.

Anyway, you can either have separate folders for each season within the show folder or just have them all within the show folder. XBMC doesn't care and will display them as seasons in the library. By default, XBMC flattens the directory structure if only one season of a show is present, but if you add another season and then update the library you will see both season as separate 'folders' in the library.
Awesome so it separates seasons automatically even if I have multiple seasons in the same folder like TV>Seinfeld and within here I have seasons 1-7? But not separated in any way?

Also..I take it that you can add episodes slowly and it wont hurt/mess anything up right? Like for instance I only want the first season of The Walking Dead in xmbc until im ready for season 2...then I can just DL season 2 and place it in the same folder as where season 1 is right? but when it comes time to add these sources...Ill have to select the same folder for season 2 that season 1 is in (remember Im not separating by seasons) but xmbc has already downloaded half of these files (season 1) at an earlier time...so wouldnt it just duplicate all of season 1 even if Im only wanting to add season 2

Or does it automatically determine that it already has some of the files (season 1) and it wont duplicate them?
That sounds confusing...basically you say I dont have to separate seasons into folders since it does this on its own right? Well if on day 1 i add 5 episodes into xbmc and then 10 days later i want to add 5 more episodes that i have saved in that same folder...will it duplicate the first 5 while adding the second five episodes? Or will it recognize that i have already loaded up some of the media and ignore it?
(2012-11-01, 04:53)cctaylor88 Wrote: Awesome so it separates seasons automatically even if I have multiple seasons in the same folder like TV>Seinfeld and within here I have seasons 1-7? But not separated in any way?

You got it.

Quote:Also..I take it that you can add episodes slowly and it wont hurt/mess anything up right? Like for instance I only want the first season of The Walking Dead in xmbc until im ready for season 2...then I can just DL season 2 and place it in the same folder as where season 1 is right? but when it comes time to add these sources...Ill have to select the same folder for season 2 that season 1 is in (remember Im not separating by seasons) but xmbc has already downloaded half of these files (season 1) at an earlier time...so wouldnt it just duplicate all of season 1 even if Im only wanting to add season 2

Or does it automatically determine that it already has some of the files (season 1) and it wont duplicate them?

Yep exactly. When you do add more episodes, what you have to do is a libary update. To invoke that, you go into your library and from anywhere in the library bring up the context window (hit 'c' with a keyboard) and chose the 'update library' option. It'll add anything that is new but wont readd anything already in the library.

Now one thing to think about is if later on you add a season 1 folder and move the existing episodes into that folder, you've changed the path to where XBMC knows of those episodes, so if you rescan it'll add them again because they are in a different location. You then might end up with duplicate episodes. But to fix that, simply go into settings... video... and select the 'clean library' option and it'll remove any items that no longer belong giving you singles of each episode.

Okay so when I want to add new episodes to a folder and get these onto xmbc...instead of the traditional route of "adding a source" i just go to the library in the xbmc and update it with "c" and it should automatically detect/add the new episodes then?
(2012-11-01, 05:13)cctaylor88 Wrote: Okay so when I want to add new episodes to a folder and get these onto xmbc...instead of the traditional route of "adding a source" i just go to the library in the xbmc and update it with "c" and it should automatically detect/add the new episodes then?

Correct. At this point you've already told XBMC what that folder has in it (a TV show) so you just need to update your library to add anything new using the 'update library' option.

(2012-11-01, 04:33)cctaylor88 Wrote: So when I get ready to scrap I go to Videos>Files>Add Videos.... is this correct so far? And then I select my file so under the "Enter the paths or browse for the media locations." my folder reads "D:\Torrent Downloads\TV\The Walking Dead\ is this correct so far? Below the folder under the "Enter a name for this media Source." It comes up as "The Walking Dead" I then hit ok. Top left "This directory Contains" I select (TV shows) and current scraper is the tvdb. What do I select under the "Content Scanning Options" ? Shouldnt "Run automated scan" work or should I select "Selected folder contains a single TV show"

Something else I just want to mention that might make things much easier for you in the future if you plan on adding addition TV Shows in that \TV\ folder you have.

So when you go into Videos>Files and do Add Videos... instead of adding "D:\Torrent Downloads\TV\The Walking Dead\" just add "D:\Torrent Downloads\TV\" and put that the directory contains TV Shows but don't select the option that "Selected folder contains a single TV show"

The reason that is better is when you add a new show to that TV folder, you just need to do an 'update library' and XBMC should automatically add the new show for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Shows0