Local Channels with HD tuner for Mac
So I've been reading up on this topic and am extremely overwhelmed with the amount of options to do this in XBMC. They all link to different add-ons for different versions on different platforms with different HD tuner cards, and I can't seem to find a solution for my setup. I'm using a mid-2011 Mac Mini with the latest stable version of XBMC Eden running the Xperience 1080 skin. What I would love to do is to get an HD antenna so I can get basic channels like NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. in full HD. I don't need DVR support or anything like that. I'd just like to be able to view these channels in XBMC. Is there an HD tuner (maybe USB) that would work with the Mac Mini and XBMC Eden to achieve this? What Mac-specific plugin works best with something like this? I'd really appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction. Thank you!
Check out a HDHomerun. They work great and are well supported.
It has built in support in xbmc. Also most/all pvr backends have support for it too if you decide to go that route.
Interesting... So this HDHomerun connects directly to my router via ethernet, and then XBMC will pick up it's signal over WiFi? It doesn't look like it plugs in anywhere via USB so I'm assuming it's all over WiFi. Also, is there a certain plug-in for XBMC on Mac that I need? Or is it already built in to XBMC somewhere?
It sits somewhere on your local network (about the size and shape of a router) and streams the video over your network. Yes it can potentially do this over wifi. Hard wired is always better especially for the HD streams. Really depends how well your wireless works.
Once streams are generated after scanning for channels, just point to them in xbmc and they will play. (silicondust provides a couple tools/software for this) Really easy. You can of course get all fancy and use tvguide and generate an epg. Or use a pvr backend for pvr goodness. Check it out. There is a good reason these are so popular.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Local Channels with HD tuner for Mac0