OS X Open Elec
Has anyone or does anyone know if it is possible for Open Elec to be installed on a separate partition of OSX using boot camp? I currently have Windows Vista besides OSX 10.68 working on my hard drive and I'm sure I would have plenty of room to put Open Elec on a third partition but I don't want to try it without knowing if it is either possible or safe. I suppose if the default is set up to load OSX first after shutting down then all you'd have to do is turn off the computer to reboot it to OSX or Windows instead of OpenElec should it go bezerk or is it even possible. I'm currently using an iMac with the two partitions.
Totally possible. Google "triboot mac"
I have read some of the potential drawbacks of possibly losing all data, especially from OSX and although I do have a back up of it, I don't know that I would feel comfortable in attempting such a thing as "tri-booting". As OpenElec gains popularity and others wish to experiment, I would be interested in their findings, especially on newer devices such as an Apple TV. I know XBMC can already run on a jailbroken ATV but I guess there wouldn't really be much of an advantage of having just OpenElect and XBMC only since it already would use the entire system's resources anyway. I suppose since Open Elec is self updating there wouldn't be any worries since the Apple software on an ATV would eventually need to be updated.
Then put it on a USB drive and boot from that, if you don't want to repartition your internal hard drive.
Hey, didn't think of that, sounds like a great idea. I'll try it. Thanks!
OK, I've just read the installation procedures for OpenElec for my system and all it will do is use a thumb drive as a key to load itself onto my HDD and wipe everything out. That makes no sense since I'm trying to protect everything on my computer and, I've already got XBMC Eden running perfectly. I just thought I might be able to maximize the use of my hardware by bypassing OSX using OpenElec. Unless I was going to use my iMac strictly as a HTPC, this will not work for me. I'll have to look at the triboot option again.
Oh, that's because OpenELEC for some reason makes an install USB drive instead of installing to the USB drive. There's a disc image that you can just apply to the USB drive directly, but I can't seem to find the link right now. I'll update this thread if I find it.
Chances are I will just keep my existing set up of XBMC on OSX without trying to do anything more. I'm still waiting for the ATV3 jailbreak, if ever. I read the tri-boot instructions and I'm not comfortable doing anything like that. I must have misunderstood and thought I could get OpenElec to actually work from the USB drive and not have it load itself anywhere else. I thought it could just run my system from the USB drive but that must not be impossible.
update: I just read up on it and I guess that it is possible. Reading about other people's experience with it, it doesn't sound as if it would be as fast running from the USB as it would create a bottle neck and overheat compared to using the SDD and all of it's immediate access to the various hardware.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Open Elec0