HELP new XBMC install (openelec, ubuntu or win7)
HI all,

I will undoubtedly need your assistance as i begin building my new XBMC machine this week (expecting all components by Tuesday). I wanted to create a thread, hoping some of you would assist with all of my questions as i fumble my way through this build. Secondly this may help other newbies that follow in my footsteps. I have been a long time fan of the project but have avoided setting up an xbmc box for various reasons. Until now! With the release of Eden and my growing frustrations with my TVIX box i just couldn't help myself Smile

My initial plan was to use Openelec and a Zotac unit. But i didn't want to also buy a NAS device. The HP microserver got me thinking of a combo server/XBMC box and this is where it all started. plus i liked the added idea of a custom build and my thoughts about using the machine for other tasks has led me down this new path;

Hardware
- HP N40L microserver + 4GB ECC RAM
- Radeon 6570 Low profile
- Hauppauge HVR2210 media centre combo (remote)
- Intel 60gb SSD (SSDSC2CT060A3K5) for OS
- 2x WD RED NAS 2TB drives
- 1x WD AV Green 2TB drive (currently has my TV shows and some movies on it). planning to use for parity.

Software
- XBMCBuntu (need an OS behind XBMC to run FlexRAID & PVR backend plus i can just do "more" with it)
- FlexRAID (imo i think this is a better solution than unRAID, or at least suits me better)
- Sickbeard
- Couch Potato
- SABnzb
- Maraschino

I'm very confident building the box and installing XBMCBuntu, but i will be a new user to FlexRAID, SABnzb, Sickbeard, couch potato and maraschino. Im certainly no linux guru either so I will need some direction with setting all of these up!

I'll post back here as i work my way through. and i hope some of you will be happy to help maybe even some of the "guru's" will subscribe Smile Oh and im happy to listen to your thought/suggestions on how best to achieve my goals.
So, i've run into some issues trying to install flexraid onto XBMCbuntu, there are plenty of guides to setup sick, couch, sabnzb etc. given my limited linux prowess i had hoped that the GUI would be helpfull, which it isn't. mouse is basically unusable as it moves at the speed of light and being a minimal OS (for speed and stability) it was back to the command line. I have basically given up on this idea.

I'm now thinking about the following options.

1. Full ubuntu desktop, using remote desktop, then installing XBMC, SAMBA, FLexRAID, SIck, Couch, SABnzb etc.
2. hate to say it but i could have what i want setup in win7 very quickly and easily. but not sure its the best OS for NAS/server functions in the background.

3. I really like OpenElec but have only a couple of issues;
- not sure if i can install FlexRAID (would love to be able to SSH into it and install if its possible)
- OpenElec with TVHeadend is not picking up my Hauppauge HVR2210 adapter (Dont think the drivers are pre installed)

I've tried to sign up to there forums to ask for assistance but will not let me sign up. if i could fix number 3 option i would be over the moon, i really dont like option 2 and option 1 will take some time and learning to get setup properly. Im not really comfortable with a ubuntu server/minimal install either though that is an option.

PLEASE HELP!
Welcome to the forums

Idk about full desktop or anything like that as I HATE window managers. however...

If you want to setup minimal linux and with xbmc and then add all that to it, use this script and choose the upstart for init xbmc.

The rest you can add as you go. Wink

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HELP new XBMC install (openelec, ubuntu or win7)0