Won't scan my files for more than a second or two.
I have just setup xbmc, latest build, using it on xp. I have all of my video files on smb or ftp shares on my local network. I am trying to put everything in xmbc's library, but when I start scanning, it will maybe do a few files and then the scanning process hangs. When I click on 'stop scanning' xbmc completely crashes. So I'm not able to build a library at all. It works fine to watch the films by navigating to them through the Files menu, but the program apparently doesn't allow me to see the nfo or search unless I put things in the library, two features I'd like to have. Thanks if you can help.
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when this happens?
if you are using one of the latest snapshots or nightly then you may be having similar problem to me the scanning for new content seems to have a bug or something especially when using with mysql

after spending two days trying to get it working i have gone back to eden where i have no scanning issues at all i was not only getting the screen dissapearing very quickly but when it would stay up for about 10-20 secs

it would move the progress bar along like it was searching for new content but rarely seem to find it and display the name of what it was scanning in like for eg. Game Of Thrones - 1x01 - Pilot

hopefully this is fixed by the time the betas come out but back to eden for now for me
Thanks, well I don't know that it is a problem with the nightly since I originally just setup with 11.0 and it had the same problem, so I updated to the latest to see if that would solve the issue. I will see if I can figure out how to give you a debug log tonight and it will be forthcoming soon. Thanks.
OK my log is linked here. Looks like there is some kind of odd thing where it is in a loop adding \movies\movies\... to my file location. Not sure how to prevent that recursion.
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=14011
Thanks for your help.
I'm still unable to scan beyond a few files. If anybody is able to help great, or if there is some other way I can use search and view info without scanning things let me know. Thanks.
@ MacGuffin

Code:
18:28:49 T:3796 WARNING: XFILE::CCurlFile::CReadState::FillBuffer: curl failed with code 7
18:28:49 T:3796   ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.

IF curl is broken it wont download/update library

That was a curl bug and has been fixed in newer XBMC revision.

+ the whole art has changed and is now currently all working, if you use old xbmc and new xbmc you have to consider that your guisettings.xml may not be compatible in between versions because of the UI changes. rename it and let xbmc create another one.

Use a more up-to-date build the more recent the better.

uNi
OK thanks, I was using one from just last week, but I will download 11/08 and give it a spin.
Ok I deleted the file you mentioned and updated to the latest build, it still looks like it stopped in the exact same place however. here is the new crash log.
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=14070
You have similar curl errors and your sources probably are one too many /

also 19:16:43 T:1924 WARNING: CWin32DirectSound::GetSpace - buffer underrun - W:10576, P:80, O:3528.

could be a audio issue too.

idk I dont use windows.

uNi
OK, well thanks anyway. Not sure what you mean, my sources are one too many. Well hopefully the solution is out there somewhere since it would be nice to use xbmc to it's fullest.
one too many / as in "forward slash" in FTP sources. I never used FTP as a source either.

Again I dont use windows, all I know is you have tons of errors related to curl and other things.

perhaps someone can finger this exactly and give you a solution.

uNi
Ok I will just have to live without being able to see my nfo's since nobody seems to be able to help, or look for other software alternatives. I don't really want to organize a special library for xbmc anyway, I just want to be able to browse to my files where I already have organized them the way I like myself, where most of them already have tbns, nfos, sbt, fanart.
MacGuffin: seriously, you need to name your files correctly.

Also, copy and paste your sources.xml from your userdata folder

Finally, "I don't really want to organize a special library for xbmc anyway" is your problem. Do you think scrapers can just magically pull information from random ass file names in some unorganized train wreck of a layout?
From the first debug log it looks like the majority of your video files are named incorrectly and are all over the place. For XBMC to scan video files they must have proper naming conventions. For starters, TV shows have to be in a folder with the TV show name. See Adding videos to the library (wiki).

The various errors about curl seem to be unrelated. Those seem to be from add-ons (possibly outdated) making failed attempts to connect to some site.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Won't scan my files for more than a second or two.0