Discrete video card needed with I3-3225?
When is a discrete video card necessary? My goals are:

1. To run either OpenELEC or Windows, depending on which works better after testing.
2. To be able to play Blu-Rays ripped with MakeMKV and downloaded video files of any resolution flawlessly.
3. To play YouTube videos flawlessly.
4. To run the most demanding skins flawlessly with no lag.
5. Silence.
6. Money is no object.

I am currently considering the Intel i3-3225. Given that choice, is there any reason for me to consider a discrete GPY under either Linux or Windows?

Also, is there any value in upgrading to an i5 or even an i7?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
#5 is best done avoiding a discrete video card.

A discrete video card is helpful for light gaming, else the i3's iGPU can handle #1-#4 with ease. An i5 or i7 is good for CPU intensive tasks like video encoding otherwise can be avoided.
Thanks. Is the i3 likely to have good Linux support?

What if I add light emulation? Is the i3 upp to the task?
I'm using the i3-3225 with no discrete card,

No skin/youtube/1080p lag whatsoever.

Also running emulation up to an including Dreamcast at 100% speed.
Thanks! Any feedback of Linux/OpenELEC support?
OpenELEC has a build specific to Intel integrated graphics. Haven't used it personally, but imagine it to work flawlessly.

Linux support was weak when Sandy Bridge first released, but has steadily improved and should not be a problem anymore, afaik.
You should also consider new Trinity APU. Its GPU is more powerful, so you will not have concerns regarding discrete video card anymore. Openelec works on my A8-5500 without any issues.
Avoiding discrete card makes your HTPC silent as you don't have any fan on GPU. Morover power consumption of your system is much lower so your PSU should be silent (you can even consider fanless Pico PSU)
(2012-11-07, 21:06)szulik Wrote: You should also consider new Trinity APU. Its GPU is more powerful, so you will not have concerns regarding discrete video card anymore. Openelec works on my A8-5500 without any issues.
Avoiding discrete card makes your HTPC silent as you don't have any fan on GPU. Morover power consumption of your system is much lower so your PSU should be silent (you can even consider fanless Pico PSU)

But what about ongoing compatibility? My impression is that AMD has a history of poorly supporting Linux. Should I worry about that? Will they keep their drivers up to date?
Just read this: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/09/amd-s...e-layoffs/
AMD and linux is no go Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discrete video card needed with I3-3225?0