A10-5700 Mini ITX Build! Medium Gaming Graphics!
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a plan. I really like these A10 APU's for the half decent integrated GPU since I want to do some gaming. Doesn't seem like there is as compelling an equivalent in Intel-land.

I was wondering, Dougie - can I get the E-i7 case with IR that will work with the MSI board? I have a Harmony One.

And while I'm at it asking endless questions, any idea how well these PCIe to MiniPCI adapters work (would be running Windows on this box): http://goo.gl/jN7GE
I have a Popcorn Hour C-200 with the MiniPCI MN-200 card (Ralink chipset I believe) installed, that I would like to try and repurpose into the new HTPC. It uses three external antennas - I suppose I would have to drill some holes for those. Worst case, I'll go powerline Ethernet - just trying to save where I can though.

Update: I've just realised I might be on a fools errand with the wireless idea above. The MN-200 card requires a MII MiniPCI interface (larger) and I don't see any PCIe Adapters for that.
(2013-02-14, 17:34)constantcarnage Wrote: Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a plan. I really like these A10 APU's for the half decent integrated GPU since I want to do some gaming. Doesn't seem like there is as compelling an equivalent in Intel-land.

I was wondering, Dougie - can I get the E-i7 case with IR that will work with the MSI board? I have a Harmony One.

Because they're all available via Inteset, I don't offer IR receivers for the barebones/cases but if someone wanted one installed (e.g. you were ordering from overseas) I can certainly get one. Installing is to stick some foam tape on the IR receiver and place it on the floor of the case after installing the motherboard. If you find a small enough dongle (like the Rosewill one that comes with the Rosewill remote for $20, sometimes on sale for $15) you could even break it open and get an internal usb adapter or run the USB cable out the back to a rear USB port on the cheap. There's a good bit of room where the IR window is.
If you don't feel like building one from scratch, here is a great option- MC101 Barebone (A10-4600M)....it included wireless card....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-02-14, 18:54)bluray Wrote: If you don't feel like building one from scratch, here is a great option- MC101 Barebone (A10-4600M)....it included wireless card....

Wow.. that's not a bad little setup at all. WiFi and Tuner. Looks like a nice case too. I could probably live without internal Blu-ray. Smile Not quite as powerful and still need a SSD though. Thinking powerline ethernet now... Smile
(2013-02-14, 18:13)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2013-02-14, 17:34)constantcarnage Wrote: Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a plan. I really like these A10 APU's for the half decent integrated GPU since I want to do some gaming. Doesn't seem like there is as compelling an equivalent in Intel-land.

Because they're all available via Inteset, I don't offer IR receivers for the barebones/cases but if someone wanted one installed (e.g. you were ordering from overseas) I can certainly get one. Installing is to stick some foam tape on the IR receiver and place it on the floor of the case after installing the motherboard. If you find a small enough dongle (like the Rosewill one that comes with the Rosewill remote for $20, sometimes on sale for $15) you could even break it open and get an internal usb adapter or run the USB cable out the back to a rear USB port on the cheap. There's a good bit of room where the IR window is.

Dougie - do these cases have an IR window? - I don't see one... I live in Canada, so I'm sure Inteset will ship to me.
(2013-02-14, 20:34)constantcarnage Wrote:
(2013-02-14, 18:54)bluray Wrote: If you don't feel like building one from scratch, here is a great option- MC101 Barebone (A10-4600M)....it included wireless card....

Wow.. that's not a bad little setup at all. WiFi and Tuner. Looks like a nice case too. I could probably live without internal Blu-ray. Smile Not quite as powerful and still need a SSD though. Thinking powerline ethernet now... Smile
It should be able to do everything that the A10-5700 can do.....I preferred the external blu-ray drive.....I can move it around and it remove the restriction of internal airflow too....I'm ordering this "Samsung Portable 6X Blu-ray Writer" to replace my internal DVD-ROM in my Alienware X51.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-02-14, 20:45)constantcarnage Wrote: Dougie - do these cases have an IR window? - I don't see one... I live in Canada, so I'm sure Inteset will ship to me.

Yes, the version I have customized and shipped from the manufacturer has an IR window and an upgraded 180W internal DC powerboard. I just have not had a chance to get the product pictures updated. Getting nice pictures done is a lot of work!
The humming issue i was having actually was a ground loop issue with the sub woofer. I am using an HDMI so it can still have issues. we fixed this one by temporary installing a groundless adapter on the sub and no more hum.
(2013-02-15, 06:01)tazz0710 Wrote: The humming issue i was having actually was a ground loop issue with the sub woofer. I am using an HDMI so it can still have issues. we fixed this one by temporary installing a groundless adapter on the sub and no more hum.

Glad to hear you got it solved! Congrats!

I found this thread here with a guy having similar issues. He bought an isolator from Radio Shack and it did the trick: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1019973/can-i-...woofer-hum
man, i wish i had found this forum/thread a few weeks ago.
pretty much started off with the same goal(a10-5800k) and reached many of the same conclusions, going with the 5700 now and it's a relief to hear its running dolphin smoothly Joe.
was initially looking at the Q-series cases from the same manufacturer, but read about ventilation problems.
so now i'm looking at the e-i3...
Dougie, you mentioned that scythe kozuti fan would allow for an optical drive in the i7,
do you think with this or a similar low profile cooler, and no optical drive, could i fit this build into the i3 case?
or is the extra headroom and width of the i7 necessary to maintain air flow?

edit: after more searching today i've sourced an eu supplier for the E-i5, still cant find an E-i7 tho.
any opinions on using the e-i5 for this? same mobo, a10-5700 & a 2.5" hard drive
Did anyone ever get the A10-5700 into the Antec 300-150 case, if so how do it work out (temps, noise, etc)?

I'm toying with the same idea as I have a spare case but will have to get a PicoPSU to suit as I only have a 90w unit.
(2013-02-18, 06:35)killthewiseone Wrote: man, i wish i had found this forum/thread a few weeks ago.
pretty much started off with the same goal(a10-5800k) and reached many of the same conclusions, going with the 5700 now and it's a relief to hear its running dolphin smoothly Joe.
was initially looking at the Q-series cases from the same manufacturer, but read about ventilation problems.
so now i'm looking at the e-i3...
Dougie, you mentioned that scythe kozuti fan would allow for an optical drive in the i7,
do you think with this or a similar low profile cooler, and no optical drive, could i fit this build into the i3 case?
or is the extra headroom and width of the i7 necessary to maintain air flow?

edit: after more searching today i've sourced an eu supplier for the E-i5, still cant find an E-i7 tho.
any opinions on using the e-i5 for this? same mobo, a10-5700 & a 2.5" hard drive

Glad to hear this thread helped you!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1247421

^Dougie said that it has just over 40mm of clearance, so you should be able to get away with a Kozuti. I haven't had personal experience so I do not know for sure unfortunately.
(2013-02-18, 06:35)killthewiseone Wrote: edit: after more searching today i've sourced an eu supplier for the E-i5, still cant find an E-i7 tho.

I would check the power supply in the euro version -- it's probably the 120W DC powerboard. AFAIK, no one else is offering the 180W DC powerboard and upgraded AC adapters besides http://www.ecosmartpc.com (thanks to everyone's input on these forums!)
(2013-02-18, 11:46)philbio Wrote: Did anyone ever get the A10-5700 into the Antec 300-150 case, if so how do it work out (temps, noise, etc)?

I'm toying with the same idea as I have a spare case but will have to get a PicoPSU to suit as I only have a 90w unit.

I haven't tried it myself, but it has room for a Shuriken (better than the Kozuti I used). I would recommend tossing in some Noctua 80mm fans on low to keep air flow going (try to keep number blowing in and out roughly the same, I suggest more blowing in than out if you have an odd number*). For normal applications you should be fine. If you run Prime95 or other benchmarking programs all day you may have problems with noise. Read my first post about temperatures!! Once you get your build together and check your temps you may get really worried, just read the first post on what to expect the readouts to say.

*Having more blowing in than out is up for debate, but the overall conclusion is you should not have ALL fans blowing in or ALL fans blowing out, try to keep them even.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A10-5700 Mini ITX Build! Medium Gaming Graphics!0