Win Failed Audio question
I've been having some Audio issues lately with XBMC.
Everything works fine most of the time, but every now and then when I switch on the AVR+TV (PC is always on) XBMC reports a failure to initialize audio.
A reboot fixes it and I'm good to go for a random number of days.
What I have noticed about this problem is the following:
When working Windows reports my Audio device as Samsung (TV)
When not working Windows reports my Audio device as HTR-3064 (AVR)

I'm not at home at the moment so I unfortunately can't access any logs or things of that nature.

Things that I need to verify:
AVR Audio is set to AMP and not AMP+TV
CEC is disabled on both AVR and TV

I thought that this might be driver related so I grabbed the latest VIA drivers for my Asus P8H77-I (Windows 8 Pro).
After installing it I noticed that the device manager reported 2 audio devices:
High Definition Audio Device
VIA High Definition Audio
Disabling the VIA device removed all playback devices except the Samsung entry (which changes to HTR-3064) so I'm assuming the audio is from the Intel HD 4000?

This may or may not be related but I started having the audio problems after installed XBMC Launcher¿

Any idea how I can best go about solving the issue or at least more directly identify the problem?
Hello

I dont use windows but you can look at this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...lize+audio

Similar problem and a solution too...

Hope it helps

uNi
(2012-11-08, 12:47)TheV Wrote: I've been having some Audio issues lately with XBMC.
Everything works fine most of the time, but every now and then when I switch on the AVR+TV (PC is always on) XBMC reports a failure to initialize audio.
A reboot fixes it and I'm good to go for a random number of days.
What I have noticed about this problem is the following:
When working Windows reports my Audio device as Samsung (TV)
When not working Windows reports my Audio device as HTR-3064 (AVR)

Any idea how I can best go about solving the issue or at least more directly identify the problem?
You might want to Google "EDID override"....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
uNiversal, I'm not sure how the problem is similar?

bluray, thanks for the hint. I've used moninfo to save the working Samsung details as an INF and updated the General PnP driver.
I've also removed XBMC Launcher and installed AVR Audio Guard.

Lets see if it sticks Smile
@ TheV

you said

Quote:XBMC reports a failure to initialize audio

That's what the other topic and a million like it also report there's literally dozens of topics on this very issue and variations on it.

uNi
uNi, that it does. But the key factor here is that things do generally work. It is only sometimes (after both AMP+TV have been off) am I not able to get audio, for any type of audio.
The topic you pointed at is concerned with never be able to get dts or dolby.
I understand that the error message is the same but the cause seems completely different to me, as does the conditions regarding the manifestation of the message.
You could install a xbmc build that uses audioengine and fix all your problems.

uNi
I'm not sure that the problem lies solely with XBMC considering when this happens I also do not have sound in Windows.
Thats not a xbmc problem clearly you have drivers issues, anyway discussing this is not going to make your problems go away.

XBMC wise you --should-- use a audioengine build as for windows I dont have any suggestions as I dont use windows.

@bluray already suggested you google EDID override

I bow out Big Grin

uNi
Unfortunately the above measures have not yet resolved my troubles.

I'm open to any other suggestions Smile
Further investigation is pointing to Remote Desktop causing this problem.
I will attempt to disable remote audio to see if this resolves the issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failed Audio question0