• 5(current)
Movie Sets Collection Grouping for Video Database Library Custom Sort Order Filters?
Is it possible to create a group folder with a thumbnail within a library? For example, I have the James Bond collection but would rather not have all 20+ movies show up directly in my main library, rather a thumb of something Bondsy showing only one time, then when you select it moves you into that category of movie.

Thanks!
angryshot Wrote:the way i think of finding movies is group then specific movie (i can't remember the specific naming conventions for each series)

Well if the search operated on the sorttitle but displayed the movie name then all you'd have to do is search for bond, alien, harry potter, indiana, star wars or whatever and you'd see the movies grouped as you'd expect.

Of course you'd have to name the bond movies bond 1, bond 2, bond 3 etc for sorting but as you'd never see that on screen I don't see an issue other than actually having to do it.
i'm guessing this never got implemented. i don't know C++, but i'd love to see this feature. i may even have to try to learn me come C++ if no one else is willing to do it.
Contribute to TheTVDB.com - The Online TV Database
one of the previous posters stated that they have <sorttitle> fields in their nfo, yet this isn't one of the fields listed on the wiki here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Import_-_Exp..._nfo_Files

does xbmc actually read and utilise this field ?

i'm really looking for a better solution to sort 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' and 'I Still Know What You Did Last Summer'. ultimately i want them to appear one after the other by specifying a sorting title of 'I Know 1' and 'I Know 2'

at the moment, 'I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry' and 'I Robot' appear in between them :/

i would simply try this but i'm away from home for a while but would love to know that i can just return home and start implementing some sort of fix when my interstate work has finished Smile

EDIT: i found this thread via google and have only just noticed that its for the XBOX version of XBMC. i'm using the windows version, but i dont think this particular problem is limited to a single platform
An interrim solution could be using mixed url/ xml nfo
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=url+nfo
and mess with the titles.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
sho Wrote:An interrim solution could be using mixed url/ xml nfo
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=url+nfo
and mess with the titles.

unless my understanding of this feature is incorrect, i'm not sure that this would help my situation

i dont want to actually display the movie names as 'I know 1' and 'I know 2' - as far as title naming goes i'm happy with the way imdb has named them and i dont wish to override that. but i want xbmc to merely use that name when it's sorting titles

so ultimately i want the 4 movies i mentioned in my previous post to appear in this order:

I Know What You Did Last Summer
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry
I Robot
Such a feature does not exist.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
<sortorder> field added to nfo and database, and this field is used to sort the titles alphabetically rather than the <title> field

By default the <sortorder> field is populated with the <title> field, ensuring that anybody who doesn't want to use this feature is not affected in any way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that should make it even easier to implement without requiring users to do a full scan.

However if you do want to use it, you can create your own custom sort title without affecting the actual movie title.

Usage Example:
The first Indiana Jones movie is called "Raiders of the Lost Ark", whereas the other three movies all start with "Indiana Jones and The...". Ideally you want all your Indiana Jones movies together when browsing through the library, however doing this requires renaming the movie title.

By using the <sortorder> field to give the four Indiana Jones movies alphabetically consecutive names, you are able to keep the titles together when browsing without changing the movie title name.

<movie>
<title>Raiders of the Lost Ark</title>
<sortorder>Indiana Jones 1</sortorder>
</movie>
<movie>
<title>Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom</title>
<sortorder>Indiana Jones 2</sortorder>
</movie>
<movie>
<title>Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade</title>
<sortorder>Indiana Jones 3</sortorder>
</movie>
<movie>
<title>Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull</title>
<sortorder>Indiana Jones 4</sortorder>
</movie>
Hmm, I can actually see this being pretty handy. Most movies wouldn't require a "sortorder" field but for the few that do this would be a pretty simple solution to getting them in some sort of order. It is user definable too, which means the user can specify any crazy sorting order they find most desirable. Nice Wink
<sortorder> sounds like a nice way to handle this, but how do you think it should behave under non-alphabetical sorts?

Normally I keep my movies sorted by year, do you guys think year should override the <sortorder> field, or should the first movie be positioned correctly, with the rest of them following in the order defined?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:<sortorder> sounds like a nice way to handle this, but how do you think it should behave under non-alphabetical sorts?

Normally I keep my movies sorted by year, do you guys think year should override the <sortorder> field, or should the first movie be positioned correctly, with the rest of them following in the order defined?

i dont think there is anything that should override the <sortorder> field, hence the whole reason for it's existance

in your situation where you are sorting movies by year, you wouldn't even need to take advantage of the custom sort order unless (for example) a movie and the sequel both came out in the same year, but the sequel began with 'B' and the original began with 'A'.

however in my original suggestion where i stated that the sort order field is automatically populated with the title field: this plan would obviously have to be scrapped. instead, as other people have suggested, only use the sort order field if it exists for a movie. if none exist, then everything is sorted by title (or by year, in your case)
Question 
ok, here's the deal.......I am helping a friend setup his XBMC and he struck me with a question. How can I get boxsets to show up in Library Mode?

I know that if he puts all the movies into a folder and names the folder "Whatever" Boxset it shows up fine in Files Mode.......but what about in Library Mode.

If I scrape that folder it will add the movies to the library individually....not as a boxset. ( I dont use the boxset setup.....I keep all my movies as single films)

Can anyone show me a thread to do this or please tell me.
fanclub Wrote:i dont think there is anything that should override the <sortorder> field, hence the whole reason for it's existance

in your situation where you are sorting movies by year, you wouldn't even need to take advantage of the custom sort order unless (for example) a movie and the sequel both came out in the same year, but the sequel began with 'B' and the original began with 'A'.

however in my original suggestion where i stated that the sort order field is automatically populated with the title field: this plan would obviously have to be scrapped. instead, as other people have suggested, only use the sort order field if it exists for a movie. if none exist, then everything is sorted by title (or by year, in your case)

Just keeping the thread alive as this is absolutely a requirement as far as I can see. Any chance of seeing this implemented anytime "soon"?
brj8826 Wrote:Is it possible to create a group folder with a thumbnail within a library? For example, I have the James Bond collection but would rather not have all 20+ movies show up directly in my main library, rather a thumb of something Bondsy showing only one time, then when you select it moves you into that category of movie.

Thanks!

Wondering whether anyone has found to achieve above? Thanks!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Smile 
Is is possible to customize the order in which movies are listed within XBMC. I do not mean by a genre. For example, I have all of the James bond movies within my database yet they are scattered throughout the list, can you manually edit the order in which they appear?

Thanks,
edgesitter
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie Sets Collection Grouping for Video Database Library Custom Sort Order Filters?3